Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

speedy101

join:2001-01-29
Woodside, NY

1 edit

random crashes and erratic behavior

There's already an open thread in Security clean up »becomes unresponsive , might be infected with something
The following result came up clean.. Hwever, as "Thejoker" stated, there configuration/IRQ problem:

'[ System Events ]
Error - 2/28/2013 11:02:31 PM | Computer Name = MK-PC | Source = ACPI | ID = 327686
Description = IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot
0, function 2. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

This past week, i found the laptop to be very unresponsive, it hang unexpectedly. The trackpad and keyboard doesn't work when it hangs, I have to hard reboot. Also another thing ... i have noticed, the keyboard is jumpy and unstable. For instance, when i am typing something, (as matter while typing this) it happen to skip and go on to another line of the paragraph.
Thanks, I Appreciate all the help.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
The first thing I would do is check for HD health... run a boot disk like UBCD or Hiren's and use Maxtor PowerMax to check the health. Run a 90 second test first... if it passes run the "advanced" test... if it ever says "advanced test required" of "Failed" your HD is hosed or nearly gone... immediately back it up/Norton Ghost it to another drive.

If the HD is OK... try Mem check and then if that is OK... not sure what you did for a virus check but anything less than running Combofix is not enough.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

speedy101

Woodside, NY
reply to speedy101
Hey veloslave,
For the hdd part, I am using SSD.. do i use this software to check it

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
You can try it... it will (should) report SMART findings. Either that or do search for SSD diagnostics software
--

speedy101

Woodside, NY

1 edit
reply to speedy101
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I used HDTune to test health and benchmark of the SSD, it seems normal. chkdsk were thoroughly checked for any bad sector or error.
For memory test( windows memory diagnostic ), it came out okay.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to speedy101
Have you tried Combofix yet?

If not try it... say yes to all of its questions. If it has findings... try the machine again and see if it is better.

If not... I would throw a spare HD in it and load the OS and see if it is running right... decide from there after finding the results.
--

jubangy
Premium
join:2005-03-26
Corry, PA
+1 for trying different harddrive. Also check your cpu usage and see if it is running amuck when it shouldn't be. could have some software boogered up possibly from a failing drive. Googling your problem seems to bring up a crap ton of posts about virus/malware infections but after reading through a bunch there were also a few posts where this issue was caused by software being buggered.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to speedy101

In device manager is there any yellow exclamation marks for hardware?

Event Viewer, is there any other errors around this report in SYSTEM or APPLICATION logs?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to speedy101
Also note those errors in the cleanup forum are related to NSDsvc a fast boot tool of Lenovo.
If you start disabling startup items not HDD related of Lenovo does it go away?
Also a clean boot of Windows, does the errors and crashes stop, this eliminates all third party software?
»support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After reading the reports in the other topic I'd wager a 3rd party driver issue.
Crashes; is there any dumps you can post for a quick look over?

Configure the dump type

To configure startup and recovery options to use the small memory dump file, follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

To change the folder location for the small memory dump files, type a new path in the Dump File box (or in the Small dump directory box, depending on your version of Windows).

Off Microsoft - »support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

speedy101

Woodside, NY

2 edits
reply to speedy101
downloadsd.evtx.zip 435,367 bytes
Veloslave- I haven't tried combofix, i will start n post back the result.
Jubany- whats odd is cpu usage is relatively low. On the taskmanager, couldn't find anything name amuck running. I have installed few applications u may be right about software being buggered. Since, there software within a software, when installing it always ask whether u wanna install this n other main app

norwegian- that's a good point, i will check to see if disabling hdd related startup app to fix the issue. Recently bought the ssd drive n installed w clean boot of windows. This problem didn't happen at all at beginning. Although it's become visible that problem exists somewhere in laptop. to take a closer look at 3rd party driver. i will post of the dumps. Btw on device manager,its looks clean as a whistle. i have attached the error logs from event viewer.

Thank you guys for help!!, I appreciate it.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to norwegian
As I mentioned:

If you start disabling startup items NOT hdd related....does it go away?

Not disable the HDD 3rd party startup items - as your reply suggested that.
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to speedy101
Okay, what motherboard and what bios is this topic referencing.
It maybe a bios update required here, or at least get rid of the Fast boot software of Lenovo, it is a mass of NSDsvc errors.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        NSDSvc
Date:          5/03/2013 1:41:29 PM
Event ID:      256
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MK-PC
Description:
The description for Event ID 256 from source NSDSvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

NSDSvc
---query POLICYVT key success failed with 0, The Code is:0x424.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="NSDSvc" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49154">256</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-05T05:41:29.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>19031</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MK-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>NSDSvc</Data>
    <Data>---query POLICYVT key success failed with 0, The Code is:0x424.</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

However this one below might suggest a bios update:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Date:          5/03/2013 1:42:31 PM
Event ID:      37
Task Category: (7)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      MK-PC
Description:
The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 3 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0F67E49F-FE51-4E9F-B490-6F2948CC6027}" />
    <EventID>37</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>7</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-05T05:42:31.200172000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>32184</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="64" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>MK-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Group">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Number">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds">3</Data>
    <Data Name="PpcChanges">2</Data>
    <Data Name="TpcChanges">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PccChanges">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

We need the full system details of this machine, make, model, bios version etc.

Note: If this machine is under warranty, utilize it and talk to the manufacturer.

--

speedy101

Woodside, NY
reply to norwegian
said by norwegian:

As I mentioned:
Not disable the HDD 3rd party startup items - as your reply suggested that.

Hey, I am sorry, made mistake on that part. While i was typing, i may have looked.
I tried to update the bios recently, but it shows that it has latest version of bios
Lenovo Y580
Model # 2099
Core i7, 8Gb
Geforce gtx 660m
Windows 7 64bi

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Initially, I said that due to not knowing much about your machine.
I don't want to suggest doing anything that might break your system.

The fact remains though that 1 driver is really playing havoc with your system.
Reading up on the forums for the manufacturer suggests it is a know bug that hasn't been fixed.
Just to make sure, I'd ask support about whether it needs to be run at all.
The second item, because your bios is up to date, is another item I'd ask of support.
These errors are not good and to have it running properly it would be best to check with them before really looking at what it is.
The manufacturer needs to be made aware of the bug and made to fix it for you and others that see the same obvious bug after reading a little in their forums.
--