All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
TheBigCheese
join:2002-08-05
Philadelphia, PA

TheBigCheese to pclover

to pclover

Re: Comcast decides to block port 25 IN and OUT with no notice.

Don't know about "no notice" as I received several snail mails about this. I do have a reason to want 25 open as my Netgear router sends logs over port 25 and there is no way to change the port number! I guess the only solution is to use a VPN but I don't see that the cost is justified (I'm cheap).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by TheBigCheese:

Don't know about "no notice" as I received several snail mails about this. I do have a reason to want 25 open as my Netgear router sends logs over port 25 and there is no way to change the port number! I guess the only solution is to use a VPN but I don't see that the cost is justified (I'm cheap).

If you have Windows [XP|Vista|7] Professional, then you have IIS, which includes a mail server. So set up IIS, and point your Netgear to 127.0.0.1:25. IIS SMTP will relay (so be certain to secure it against unauthorized access), and it can be configured to use any TCP port to send. So configure the server to use port 465 of whichever e-mail service you use.

And if you don't have the Professional version of Windows, there are free SMTP server applications which will run as a service, and do the same thing.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Using 127.0.0.1 (or any other loopback address) merely points to the Netgear itself.

And you can not reach a loopback address on another device because these addresses are non-routable.

Stunnel is probably the lightest application that would work just fine.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by graysonf:

Using 127.0.0.1 (or any other loopback address) merely points to the Netgear itself.

And you can not reach a loopback address on another device because these addresses are non-routable.

Of course; my bad. Assuming IIS is running on a computer at 192.168.1.2, then pointing the Netgear at 192.168.1.2:25 should work.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by graysonf:

Of course; my bad. Assuming IIS is running on a computer at 192.168.1.2, then pointing the Netgear at 192.168.1.2:25 should work.

I don't know about the specific Netgear router being discussed, but I have on numerous occasions run into consumer/residential grade routers that would only do SMTP for emailing logs and/or NTP for time sync over the WAN interface. In that case the router would also be unable to send its log to a local mail server on 192.168.1.2.

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Bach to TheBigCheese

Premium Member

to TheBigCheese
said by TheBigCheese:

I likewise had my Netgear WNR3500L router configured to email its logs so I could review/archive them. The port cannot be configured. Comcast never notified of any port 25 activity. The emails from the router stopped at the end of February and the router's log now says it cannot connect to the email server. No big deal I guess, I'll just collect the log data manually.