spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LL NY

@verizon.net

[DVR] DVR cutting off last minute of shows??

Hi all,

Anyone else see this problem --
Dvr recording will very often cut off the last minute of a scheduled recording - causing us to miss the 'coming attraction' of next weeks show.

Is this a network problem (where stations are just not 'on time' with their programming, or is there a fix I can do to my Fios Dvr to resolve the issue? (Aware of capability to extend the recording - but want I avoid that if possible).

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by LL NY :

Hi all,

Anyone else see this problem --
Dvr recording will very often cut off the last minute of a scheduled recording - causing us to miss the 'coming attraction' of next weeks show.

Is this a network problem (where stations are just not 'on time' with their programming, or is there a fix I can do to my Fios Dvr to resolve the issue? (Aware of capability to extend the recording - but want I avoid that if possible).

Yes it is the channel provider's not running their programs on the schedules they have provided to the guide providers -- and it's not just to the one Verizon uses -- and the recording start/stop times are based on the guide unless you do a manual recording or extend the time. Some providers (like ABC) actually provide the correct running start and stop times, but other (like Fox) don't always do that. I always trust ABC guide times for scheduling recordings, but always pad the Fox shows.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
reply to LL NY
Certain networks i always have this problem. Usually with pawn stars and discovery channel.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
kudos:1
reply to LL NY
That's why in the Beta 9.1 test, I had requested "extend by 1 min" to record options, & it was added ..
This usually catches those shows that run 30 secs or so past the hour, " Pawn Stars" & many other shows often get cut off in the very last bit of the show, if you don't go into your scedl recordings & extend them by 1 min ...

Lodef

join:2011-02-14
Danvers, MA
The problem with that is if say you record a program at 9:30 and extend it for one minute, then have 2 shows schedule to record at 10:00, it will come up as a conflict of recording prompting you to try and correct the issue.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to PJL
I have lost the last minute of so of ABC recorded shows recently - Castle and Body of Proof. Not that big a deal, as it just cuts off what's coming next week.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
Content providers do this on purpose. Belief is that if you stick around to watch the last minute or two of a show (and miss the beginning of the show on another channel) that you will stay where you are at.
It is the reason that TBS used to have a 5 minute offset on all their shows.
Now they are more subtle about it by not showing it in the schedule, but doing it anyway.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by crgauth:

Content providers do this on purpose.

+1 ^^^^^^ Pet Peeve ^^^^^^^
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to Lodef
+1 on that. Happens to me all the time.
--
Go Heels!

celticpride

@verizon.net
This sucks big time i think the networks do this on purpose hoping you'll watch the show ''LIVE'' rather than record it.