dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

Has anyone had dealings with this site before...

»www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9150-cle···gure=yes

My son wants to buy the rig in the link but he asked me to tell him what would be the best options. Also, has anyone purchased anything from this site and if so are they reputable?

His budget is pretty much unlimited but I would imagine that 3 grand is probably as high as he will go? What options would you guys choose?

And of course if there is a cheaper, better, more reliable site? Please provide a link.

EDIT: The "dead pixel warranty" and the "monitor calibration" sounds like bullshit to me? Hence the reason for my questioning the site's reputation.

--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Xotic is a well known custom PC builder. You have to decide if the dead pixel warranty is worth it, but it's not BS--nothing more infuriating than getting a new monitor and having a bright white pixel in the middle of the screen, and have the manufacturer say that there has to be 3-5 dead/stuck pixels for them to take the return.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Wow, I was unaware of such practices. Are you kidding me? If I pay $3000.00 for a computer it better not have any defects. They actually get away with crap like that?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Better to pay $50 extra and have the guarantee than deal with someone like Dell or HP who refused to take it back*

(* this was in 2004 when I was in college, I don't know how either has changed since then--still won't do business with either)
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to dolphins

The monitor is not $3K and should not be treated as such... The policy comes from the monitor manufacturer - not the PC builder. From what I have read - it is nearly impossible to guarantee no dean pixels from plant to store, much less from store to home.

Some pixels have be 'revived' - there are several methods that can be found online.

I believe they are fairly rare - unless I have had one that was on the outskirts of the screen. Most people say the only way to notice one is for it to be the right in the middle where you look most of the time.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yes I understand that it would be the monitor manufacturer's responsibility and that sometimes these things happen when purchasing a unit built from multiple third party manufacturers. But there has to be some quality control standards in place that gives the consumer a guaranty of quality.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

From things I have read - not sure of the validity of it - dead pixels can happen in shipping and there is nothing the manufacturer can do about it. Things like dust can cause dead pixels - it may test just fine out of the factory but show up months later in a dead pixel.

I don't know of any manufacturer that can test 100% of all of their products - too time consuming and expensive to test all of them.

There is zero guarantee of 'quality' - just not a real way to do it.

Dead pixel policies depend on the manufacturer - just read their policy before buying.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dolphins

OK, he refined his questions to HDD setup. He wants this to be a fast gaming machine so he wants to utilize an SSD for speed with a Serial-ATA for large storage. His main question was placement/configuration of the drives as he does not want to sacrifice the optical drive bay.

The way I read it is there is already 2 bays available for HDDs, one being the primary and one being slot 1, plus the optical bay drive, is this correct?

Also what is the difference between SSD2-SATA and mSATA?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

SATA is the type of bus interface, not a type of drive. Both solid state drives (SSDs) and mechnical hard disk drives (mHDDs) utilize SATA III/3/6.0 Gbps as the bus interface. Older devices utilize SATA II/2/3.0 Gbps but both the interface and devices are fully forwards and backwards compatible.

With that out of the way, it is a good idea to use an SSD as a boot drive and a mHDD as a data drive. Shoot for at least a 120GB SSD, and at least a 1TB mHDD (larger is always better for both).
--

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

OK, thanks for the explanation but am I correct in assuming there are 2 bays available for HDDs plus a 3rd bay for optical drive?

Also when you say "boot drive" you mean, primary? And "data drive" is slot 1, correct?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

That model has three slots:

• An mSATA slot (for a small SSD form factor)
• A regular, 2.5" bay (for SSD or HDD)
• An optical bay (can be subbed for a 2.5" drive, either HDD or SSD)

You can either go mSSD + HDD + ODD or mSSD + HDD + HDD and use an external optical drive.

In today's day and age, with all the games and movies delivered over the internet, I'd drop the internal optical drive, and run an mSSD + 2x HDDs and pick up an external ODD for $25.

In this particular model, I'd use a 256 GB mSSD for the OS, a 750 GB hybrid mHDD for data, and a 1TB 5400rpm HDD for backups, + the external ODD.
--

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ

OK great, I think that covers all my questions and my sons.

Thank you very much!

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to dolphins

*redacted for lack of reading comprehension.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It's a laptop.

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins

I have purchased a few MSI gt70 and sager NP9510 gaming laptops used from people who purchased it from Xotic.

sold for good profit. the laptops are well built, features backlit chicklet style keyboards and have awesome mobile GPU's in them.

In my opinion they are better than spending a load of cash on alienware.
--
hmmmmmm....