how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sauria

join:2002-04-23
Abilene, TX

Airport Extreme G3 to G5?

Hi. I saw an old thread about this, but, have you guys noticed any long term improvement in going from gen 3 to gen 5 airport extreme? I still use a gen 3 AEX with a 4th gen Time Capsule. I just upgraded to the gen 4 TC from a gen 1 TC and it is much faster on 5 GHz. THANKS.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
Not what you are looking for, I assume, but in my 'industrial' sized building the ONLY thing that works......and works really well, is the Asus N66U Dark Knight wireless router.............reaches everywhere, and i've tried almost every other Router......Airport Extreme (Gen 3), D Link, Netgear, Linksys..........................

sauria

Abilene, TX
Thanks, what kind of speed do you get transferring large files?

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to sauria
On a LAN /NAS network,(PowerBay) I can get over 2.5Mbs per second......fast enough for me.......

Fast enough to stream Blu Ray rips to a Mini running Plex........no stutters....

This setup about 65 feet from the wireless router, through brick and metal lined building....5Ghz signal is ALMOST as strong as the 2.4Ghz.....in fact, a little bit closer, and iStumbler/NetSpot shows no practical difference between the two networks as far as performance/signal strength..............
obviously, at extremes the 2.4Ghz signal hangs on for longer, allowing pretty good signal strength (for simple file transfers..NOT 1080p streaming) for about 80 feet in some directions........

I've never owned a more stable/fast wireless router...... replaced a recent NetGear WNDR4500...itself no slouch, but NOT quite the penetration/stability of the Asus, least not in my setup ( we have a large brick and metal roofed building, which is where the Modem/Wireless router is, next building along is where most of the 'Home' computer equipment is located, wireless signals can be hard pressed to penetrate out of this)......so gave it to my m in Law, her 3 storey house, is completely wirelessly covered by it!!!!

kerriskandie

Coram, NY

1 edit
reply to sauria
Maybe my maths is way off.....(was never my strong point!!)

I just wirelessly transferred (LAN) a 850MB file, took exactly 115 secs.................

So, is that over 7Mbs per sec?????( told you I was crap at maths!!!!)

I'm also watching my Vulkano placeshifter (TV signal) wirelessly, it's getting about 2.4Mbs streaming............

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to sauria
Can somebody reasonably mathematically inclined please put my mind at rest???????? ...............

sauria

Abilene, TX
7.39 MBps is fast thanks.

sauria

Abilene, TX
reply to kerriskandie
59 Mbps

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
59Mbps..........????

sauria

Abilene, TX
I just wirelessly transferred (LAN) a 850MB file, took exactly 115 secs................. That's 59 Mbps

sauria

Abilene, TX
reply to kerriskandie
Eight megabits equal one Megabyte

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to sauria
Told you my math was abominable!!!!!.......without question, my worst subject in school.........and, I loved Physics/Chemistry, but without a good Maths based background.........forget it!!!!

So I take it that's fast, right??.......would the overall transfer be impeded by either the OSX Finder itself, or (more likely?) the NAS/NAS software......since, as good as I feel the Verbatim PowerBay is..........software updates/support...at least from N America can be abominably slow!!!

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
The only to really determine that would be to transfer the same file again while everything is connected via ethernet.

sauria

Abilene, TX
reply to sauria
That is good wireless speed. I still wonder if a G5 is faster by a significant margin over a G3?

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
said by sauria:

That is good wireless speed. I still wonder if a G5 is faster by a significant margin over a G3?

It's not. There is one extra antenna that will give you a little better coverage/signal but the difference in speed is negligible.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to sauria

sauria

Abilene, TX
Thanks!

sauria

Abilene, TX
reply to kitsune
Thanks

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to sauria
I recently switched from a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 running Tomato, to an APE 3rd gen, then to an APE 5th gen.

The WRT54GL could do about 20Mbit over wireless G. BOTH the airports only do about 13Mbit over wireless G. I just ordered a nice dual band intel wireless N card to replace this machine's ancient wireless G card. I expect the dual band N performance to be leaps and bounds faster than wireless G.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any range nor performance difference between the 3rd and 5th gen APEs. Honestly, my next router will be an Asus.
--
QUAD!!!!

sauria

Abilene, TX
reply to sauria
Thanks, I hooked it up and it does transfer large files (AFP) about 100% faster than the 3rd gen. I got 177 Mbps for a 540 MB file.