share rss forum feed

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

[WIN7] Windows 7 System Restore

List of available restore points is sparse.
Click for full size
Task scheduler shows daily restore point made.
Note sr2.png shows a sparse list of available restore points. Note sr1.png shows the task scheduler log that shows a daily restore point being apparently successful each time.

Do you have any theories on the discrepancy?

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

I have only one theory. And that is to turn Sys Restore off and use a Drive imaging program.

It has been my experience that System Restore simple does NOT work when you really need it. Even with Sys Restore turned off it still creates a Restore Point when you are doing Updates. Which I image the drive just before I do them so I can easily restore my system back to the point just before the updates were installed.

YMMV.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

psloss
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Lebanon, KS
reply to StillLearn

said by StillLearn:

Note sr2.png shows a sparse list of available restore points. Note sr1.png shows the task scheduler log that shows a daily restore point being apparently successful each time.

Do you have any theories on the discrepancy?

The Task Scheduler is reporting the outcome of executing the task -- the action for the SR task I have here is to start a program. (The command I see here is "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation".)

It seems possible for the task to successfully run without creating an additional restore point. Once running, that code could certainly enforce additional policy layers on top of the scheduled task -- one of the online claims I see says that Win7 only creates restore points if seven days have elapsed since the previous one.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StillLearn

Well, in lawyer mode:

I see nothing saying that a restore point will/should be/is be created daily. All I see is an indication that the 'SR' task, which has something to do with system restore points, gets run daily. Nothing says that 'SR' necessarily creates a new restore point.

A bit of googling suggests that the automatic restore points get created at most once every 7 days.

E.g. »www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69···ate.html

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Shootist

It has been my experience that system restore always works when you need it, as long as you understand it's simply a system-state rollback tool and not some magic problem-fixer.

If you turn off automatic restore-point creation, I think you also lose the benefit of file-system previous-version support.

It's not a substitute for proper backups, of course.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

said by dave:

It has been my experience that system restore always works when you need it, as long as you understand it's simply a system-state rollback tool and not some magic problem-fixer.

If you turn off automatic restore-point creation, I think you also lose the benefit of file-system previous-version support.

It's not a substitute for proper backups, of course.

Yes that is correct. The Previous Version restore is no more.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to dave

said by psloss:

It seems possible for the task to successfully run without creating an additional restore point. Once running, that code could certainly enforce additional policy layers on top of the scheduled task -- one of the online claims I see says that Win7 only creates restore points if seven days have elapsed since the previous one.

Thanks! I had presumed that running the task successfully would create a restore point. Mystery solved.

said by dave:

Well, in lawyer mode:

I see nothing saying that a restore point will/should be/is be created daily. All I see is an indication that the 'SR' task, which has something to do with system restore points, gets run daily. Nothing says that 'SR' necessarily creates a new restore point.

A bit of googling suggests that the automatic restore points get created at most once every 7 days.

E.g. »www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69···ate.html

Very informative. When I schedule a weekly defrag, I expect it to happen weekly. With Vista when I did the system restore, it brought up a calendar of dates with daily choices IIRC. Thanks. I don't know if I should pursue some setting to make the restore points more frequent.

I remember with XP having the service somehow stopped. Did that let me start the service and execute a restore from a prior restore point? Nope. Service gets stopped, and there appears to be no recovery. I fear that is also carried into Win7. I wish it would produce a file that could be used as a restore point, even if the service got stopped by malware or other mishap.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by StillLearn:

When I schedule a weekly defrag, I expect it to happen weekly.

Sure, but the point is that there is not a scheduled daily restore-point creation. The job description of the daily SR task is to determine whether a restore-point needs to be created, by its own criteria, and then create one if necessary.

With respect to whether restore points can exist when shadow copies are disabled: I would suppose that nothing much is getting copied when the service is off. A shadow copy represents the entire content of the disk. Obviously, you don't make an entire copy at the point at which you say "create restore point". Instead, anything that changes after that point will get saved before it is changed. So if you today disable the saving-of-changing-data, then there will be no copy made of yesterday's data, and thus yesterday's restore point does not exist.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

said by dave:

said by StillLearn:

When I schedule a weekly defrag, I expect it to happen weekly.

A shadow copy represents the entire content of the disk. Obviously, you don't make an entire copy at the point at which you say "create restore point".

I thought it just saved the registry.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Windows 7 help&support app :
What is system protection?

System protection is a feature that regularly creates and saves information about your computer's system files and settings. System protection also saves previous versions of files that you've modified. It saves these files in restore points, which are created just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. They're also created automatically once every seven days if no other restore points were created in the previous seven days, but you can create restore points manually at any time.

System protection is automatically on for the drive that Windows is installed on. System protection can only be turned on for drives that are formatted using the NTFS file system.

There are two ways that you can take advantage of system protection:

If your computer is running slowly or isn't working properly, you can use System Restore to return your computer's system files and settings to an earlier point in time using a restore point. For more information about System Restore, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.

If you accidentally modify or delete a file or folder, you can restore it to a previous version that's saved as part of a restore point. For more information about previous versions, see Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions.

Expand your moderator at work