share rss forum feed

applerule

join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom

[DIRECTV] 3 Months in with DirecTV...missing CATV.

Let me start off by first saying that I have been a CATV customer for many years, and have been with both Comcast and Charter over the years, and I have never had satellite TV before. I live in an area where I can no longer get cable, so unfortunately that is no longer an option to me. Perhaps satellite is supposed to be like this, but any ideas on how to improve my experience would be great.

My setup consists of the multi-room Genie system from DirecTV. I have the HR-34 receiver with two C31 clients. I'm on the 'entertainment' package from DirecTV.

Problem 1: Navigation is SLOW. When I say slow, sometimes the whole guide freezes for 10 seconds at a time before going to the next page. Other times it is blazing fast. Seems to not be correlated with any time of day or weather outside.

Problem 2: Sometimes my clients will lose communication or something with the HR34. They will just grey screen and never communicate with the HR34. Resetting the clients doesn't help, and I have to hit the red button on the HR34 to resolve.

Problem 3: The HR34 will periodically lose signal after being up for a week or so. You will be watching a show, and the show will randomly go black for a few seconds at a time every few minutes. Hitting the red button seems to resolve.

Problem 4: Navigating recorded shows is a pain a lot of times. Sometimes I hit FFWD or the advance key, and it skips way too far, or takes many presses to acknowledge that I've pressed it. I've completely given up on the advance key because I've never been able to get it to skip in 30-second increments like it is supposed to. It seems to jump to the halfway or end point of a program everytime I use it. This may be as a result of lag or something, I'm not sure.

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

First off, a service call is definitely in order. A full diagnostic signal test needs to be performed on EVERY cable line, all connection points checked. This shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. If all checks are within spec, the Genie will need replacement. What you're experiencing is not normal.

The Genie system requires a very clean install with no loose connections or low grade cabling. Any weak point in the network can put a significantly drag on the performance of the Genie.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

said by DJ:

First off, a service call is definitely in order. A full diagnostic signal test needs to be performed on EVERY cable line, all connection points checked. This shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. If all checks are within spec, the Genie will need replacement. What you're experiencing is not normal.

The Genie system requires a very clean install with no loose connections or low grade cabling. Any weak point in the network can put a significantly drag on the performance of the Genie.

I have all the same issues. Before the last firmware update, about 70% of the 30 second skip presses would actually register as a FF press. Hit FF too many times too quickly and you skip to the end. Since the last firmware update this happens about 20% of the time. The cynical part of me wonders if this isn't a way to dissuade people from using 30 second skip.

The guide is WAY, WAY slower than the Comcast guide. It's probably better designed, but the slow navigation from either the remotes or the main box is painful if you're used to a newer Comcast box.

I've also had the problem with the remotes not working and have always had to reset the main box to correct this.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

I have DirecTV at one house and FIOS at the other and the guide speed is about the same between the two. They are both pretty speedy compared to the Comcast and U-Verse guides.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to applerule

I have a Genie HR34 with 5 C31 clients. The DirecTV guys ran all new RG6 to every location because everything in the house was RG59 which they said was useless.

If they reused any existing wiring, there could possibly be splitters hidden in various places that aren't up to spec, or cabling that isn't up to spec.

For the first few weeks, I had some issues with the clients. Most of the time resetting the client fixed the problem. A couple times, I had to restart the HR34. Then things kinda settled-in and I haven't had any of those problems since.

I had Verizon FIOS for 7 years and it really enjoyed it. But, it's not available where I live now. That being said, I have no complaints about my DirecTV so far.

I am not sure how much of the supplemental stuff (guide data, etc) gets pulled down through the dish versus your internet connection.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Netbum

join:2002-04-08
Oakley, CA
reply to DJ

Mine has been like that for YEARS,am hoping to get the new dvr Genie...if it doesn't work...?? been with them since 97 ussb days

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to applerule

I don't have Genie but I do have MRV with an HR24 and H24. I don't see too many major issues. Overall I think the user experience is much better than what the local cable company provides around here. I am pleased with the service and all the extra technology they provide above and beyond the local cable co. Ipad/Iphone app, remote viewing, MRV, remote dvr scheduling, favorites lists, colorful HD menus, etc..

True the menu navigation could be a little speedier, but maybe they will improve on that in the future?

The fastest TV UI I've used was Passport Echo 3.7 on Cisco 8652HDC. That is one quick, slick easy to use guide system.

johnnylakis

join:2002-10-30
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DJ

said by DJ:

A full diagnostic signal test needs to be performed on EVERY cable line, all connection points checked. This shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.

This is a constant problem with Directv and isn't worth your time. Cancel and switch like I did.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to DJ

said by DJ:

When my Genie system was installed, the installer reused the cable TV line going to the living room (Genie) and the bedroom (client). The cables are copper clad and one is RG6 and the other is RG6QS. I am having intermittent network issues with freezing on the client. Should I buy a box of DirecTV approved RG6 from SolidSignal.com and redo the wiring from the SWM splitter onwards. The wiring up to the splitter is from the DTV installer.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

You can or I suggest you report the problem to D* and have a service tech come out and if necessary help him run the coax he has on his truck.

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to IowaCowboy

Due to the cable not being "DirecTV approved" it would be wise to replace that cable as its integrity can not be guaranteed. I have seen countless times where replacing existing copper clad cable with new solid copper conductor cable resolved all network streaming issues.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by DJ:

Due to the cable not being "DirecTV approved" it would be wise to replace that cable as its integrity can not be guaranteed. I have seen countless times where replacing existing copper clad cable with new solid copper conductor cable resolved all network streaming issues.

Oddly enough, DTV recommends copper clad double sheilded RG6.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

D* TV uses soild copper core R6 - That's what the installers are supplied with -Recommends double insulated- if private contractor or home-builder is installing -new construction.