how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ve52001

join:2004-05-11
Duncanville, TX

Time Warner buying Charter?

Has anyone else recieved any info about Time Warner buying Charter in their area? I was told today here in one part of Dallas/Ft. Woth area, that they are buying them out. I was curious, because I want them to come here where I live too. I haven't had seen any upgrades at all and I'm thinking its because they are going to sell this area also.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

1 edit

said by ve52001:

Has anyone else recieved any info about Time Warner buying Charter in their area? I was told today here in one part of Dallas/Ft. Woth area, that they are buying them out. I was curious, because I want them to come here where I live too. I haven't had seen any upgrades at all and I'm thinking its because they are going to sell this area also.

Hmm Fort Worth being bought out? Do you know what part of the metro is being bought out?

could they be buying the entire metro out if true? I noticed upgrades in Ellis county came to a halt.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to ve52001

Weird you mention that......There have been several TIME WARNER advertisements in the newspaper here locally..

We have Comcast and Charter in this area. Could not understand why the ads for Time Warner......

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to ve52001

Found this article.....Not sure its just a prediction.....
----------------------------------------------------------------
Charter to Be Bought By Time Warner Cable?
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (February 6, 2013) - Charter Communications' stock rose more than six percent yesterday on rumors that the cable operator could soon be purchased by Time Warner Cable or Cox, reports Deadline.com.

The web site reports that Charter has just frozen all budgets and put a freeze on hiring at its headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut.

In addition, Charter announced that it has hired two Wall Street veterans in the executive ranks, another possible sign that the company is preparing to participate in a deal that would require people with acquisitions and mergers experience.

Deadline.com also reports that several high-profile investors, including George Soras, recently bought or increased their stakes in Charter.

The idea that Charter could be sold to Time Warner Cable in 2013 is not a new one, at least on these pages. On December 30, 2012, in my annual predictions for 2013, I wrote:

"I am now predicting that Time Warner Cable will buy Charter Communications.

The cable business has had difficulty maintaining video subscription numbers thanks to increasing competition from telco and satellite TV services and video streamers such as Netflix. I don't foresee this changing anytime soon, and consequently, I expect to see some consolidation in the category over the next 12-18 months.

Charter is a likely candidate to be bought. The company has invested heavily in improving its infrastructure and service since coming out of bankruptcy three years ago. However, it has lost more than 20 percent of its subscribers over the last 10 years and the struggle to improve on that record will be even more costly.

Time Warner Cable seems to be in acquisition mode and certainly has the resources to pull off the deal, which is why I am predicting it will do it. But it wouldn't surprise me if Comcast slipped in instead."

Anomguy

@charter.com

No Time Warner is not buying charter. Charter froze the assets to buy a Optimum West from Cablevision from Cablevision for 1.65billion in cash. I believe the purchase has already taken place.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

1 edit

thanks.

said by Anomguy :

No Time Warner is not buying charter. Charter froze the assets to buy a Optimum West from Cablevision from Cablevision for 1.65billion in cash. I believe the purchase has already taken place.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to Anomguy

said by Anomguy :

but it has been known that the Texas systems have been a possible sale for years as they have been last to receive upgrades and some of the systems Charter has stopped upgrading to offer more services. Also Charter has not deployed SDV in Texas systems and some of the areas don't even have VOD yet or digital phone and some areas don't even have internet.

I would not be surprised if TWC does buy out charter in North Texas as some of the systems are attractive 860MHz and all they would have to do is connect them to the Time Warner Cable Dallas headend and get a fiber optic connection to get the national cable channels while keeping the Cisco and Motorola boxes intact and just start offering Navigator on the Cisco boxes and add digital simulcast to the Motorola areas and start deploying DCX-M boxes with Navigator. Also a few of the motorola areas need to be upgraded to 860MHz or 1GHz so that they could receive the North Texas lineup. Also the traps in Fort Worth would need to be replaced with the same ones used in the Time Warner Cable Dallas cluster.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

The one consolation if they did buy out the entire company would be that the offer a wide selection of internet speed tiers....

they just happen to offer "Internet lite" which is only 1MB but good enough for me. I'm sure the price is not more than 25 bucks either.

haggelz

join:2010-07-04
Glendale, CA
reply to motorola870

I hope this does happen in LA too. Here we dont' have SDV either, still with the 1-99 analog. They have however deployed decent internet speeds. Part of me wants Charter to stay Charter for the internet speeds (heard TWC is slow, max 50mbps) but their TV service is just pathetic. I would get them if they had more HD channels particularly sports.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Not meaning to get off topic here, but man, watching tv last night on my lousy non HD tv and cheap expanded basic cable, it was barely even viewable as the picture was flickering all over the place and the voice was not even remotely close to in sync! One of the worst nights for watching any tv in history!!

Glad I didn't have to watch the mouths of the announcers during the NASCAR race though!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

ve52001

join:2004-05-11
Duncanville, TX

2 edits
reply to Anomguy

said by Anomguy :

Well I know for sure, someone I know in Carollton, Texas is going to be on Time Warners cable system starting next month. Currently he has Charter. They could be just changing over his apartment complex, but have my doubts. Charter in Carollton is on a very old system, still (550 mhz), no internet or phone.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

1 edit

said by ve52001:

said by Anomguy :

Well I know for sure, someone I know in Carollton, Texas is going to be on Time Warners cable system starting next month. Currently he has Charter. They could be just changing over his apartment complex, but have my doubts. Charter in Carollton is on a very old system, still (550 mhz), no internet or phone.

It is likely just an apartment change over as both systems run parallel in parts of Carrollton and I believe TWC serves the entire city.

I had a friend go through something similar when they lived in an apartment near the DFW airport in which a cheap cable MATV system was removed and Charter was brought in to replace it.

technologiq

join:2000-08-08
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ve52001

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Charter in its entirety is being bought out by TW.

However, it's pretty common for a Cable Co's contract with a city to expire and for someone else to move in. Happened years back where I am when AT&T bought out TCI Cablevision and then Charter came in and took over from AT&T (and signed some kind of crazy 20 year agreement).

It was weird to me in our area to have AT&T as both the phone company AND the cable company.

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
join:2001-07-13
Swartz Creek, MI
reply to ve52001

I suppose raising our monthly rates was an enticement for the buyer...look at all that revenue they generate; they must be worth something.

gs