dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
weyoun
join:2013-03-03

weyoun

[INTERNET] Should I switch from Turbo 14 to Turbo 20?

I'm in Ontario, and I noticed that Turbo 20 is a dollar cheaper than Turbo 14 yet it has faster speeds and a higher cap.

That has me thinking that maybe there is a catch.

Also, Turbo 14 is grandfathered. So if I switch to 20 and it is somehow worse, then I'm screwed.

Should I switch, or hold onto Turbo 14?

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

You already answered your own question.

Turbo 14 is being phased out.

Keep in mind if you switch you need a need modem installed via a tech visit.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to weyoun

to weyoun
i was in your situation before ..i didn't wanna pay the $50 to upgrade ..so i switched to START for a better deal.

»start.ca/services/highspeed

you can get 20 Mbps with a 150 GB cap for $39.95, and if you transfer from cogeco then you dont have to pay the install fee
weyoun

weyoun

The girl on the phone was going to switch me to Turbo 20 and send a guy to my house. I asked her what he was going to do, was he going to do wiring or anything and she said no, he was just going to plug in the new modem.

I told her I can do that myself, so she said I can go pick it up at the cogeco storefront and not have to have a guy come.

She said nothing about $50, she was about to sign me up for free, and told me to go do it at the store, which I've been led to believe is free. So don't worry I'm not paying any $50.

But I don't see how I answered my own question at all. I can't even tell from what you said if you are recommending I switch or stay

When you say Turbo 14 is being phased out, does that mean its going to stop working or be automatically switched out by Cogeco? Because if it just keeps working like this forever then that's not really phasing out.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Turbo 14 is no longer available for new installs. In that sense, it's already gone. So long as DOCSIS 2 modems are still out there, Turbo 14 will exist for those customers. Anyone who has a DOCSIS 3 modem is going to get Turbo 20 instead.

Cogeco was charging a $50 "switch" fee for a while, but now that they're giving out DOCSIS 3 modems to everyone and even giving them out in the storefront for modem swaps due to the failure of a D2 modem, they don't seem to be charging that $50 anymore.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to weyoun

Premium Member

to weyoun
said by weyoun:

\does that mean its going to stop working or be automatically switched out by Cogeco? Because if it just keeps working like this forever then that's not really phasing out.

Gone is correct in that Turbo 14 is no longer available for order. We will continue to support anyone who has Turbo 14 already however.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Hang on. I'm confused. I'm on Turbo 14 on a promotion that ends in September. I'm paying $39.95 per month, which is supposedly a $10 discount, but that pricing doesn't correspond to anything currently online. Would I be able to switch to Turbo 20 while still in that promotion period and only pay the extra dollar per month?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Call and ask?

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Then why would I bother hanging around here?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Touche
weyoun

weyoun

Ok, but guys, my question is:

Should I be paranoid that giving up Turbo 14 and going to Turbo 20 might screw me in some fine print in which the 14 package is actually better somehow? or because Turbo 20 has some known issues?

Or is this a no brainer and Turbo 20 is better in every way?

thanks
AndyLHoang
join:2002-08-08
Dundas, ON

AndyLHoang to Gone

to Gone
I think it still depends on the location. I went to the Burlington store to do the upgrade to Turbo 20 from Turbo 14, and even though I brought in my modem they still charged me $50. But then I went up to the Hamilton store and they waived the fee over there!

Shyte
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
NF, ON

Shyte to weyoun

Premium Member

to weyoun
There's no catch. I switched to turbo 20 from 14 a while back and it's better. Faster download, upload and a higher cap. I didn't have to pay the $50 and that was last year. Makes no sense not to switch unless you go with another cable ISP like Start.

Shyte.

Edit: I went to the storefront in 'Niagara' to swap out the modem. Was quick and easy.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to weyoun

Premium Member

to weyoun
said by weyoun:

...Or is this a no brainer and Turbo 20 is better in every way?

Correct.

14 was the OLD fastest speed until they upgraded your 'Hood, and until recently had the same usage cap, but however is more compatible (or at least tolerated politically) with the older modems and node equipment.

Just be sure that you get something recorded (preferably in writing) that there will be no service charge to make the switch, and yes, change the modem yourself.

Cheers !

micron06
Premium Member
join:2003-11-19
Kingston

micron06

Premium Member

Made the switch from the Turbo 14Mbps to Ultimate 30Mbps. The rep said that she has to charge me the $50 tech fee even though i will be getting the modem swapped at the store front. Can anyone confirm if Cogeco still rips ppl off with that BS fee?
I love how she warned me about Start.ca throttling their BW to those who switch over and Cogeco doesn't do that.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Did you get a rep name? That is completely untrue and rocca over in the Start forum would love to take it up the ladder if you have a way to identify the rep.

micron06
Premium Member
join:2003-11-19
Kingston

micron06

Premium Member

Sadly I didn't get the rep name as i was on call during company time and had to get off the phone soon. I will contest the $50 charge when i get my bill as it's a pure rip off and no where on Cogeco website it mentions of such charges.

mistian
@cgocable.net

mistian to weyoun

Anon

to weyoun
Spoke with a rep today and they said that next week a promo will be running for $5 the tech will come to the house and run the new line for the speed upgrade. I wonder why it needs a new line?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by mistian :

Spoke with a rep today and they said that next week a promo will be running for $5 the tech will come to the house and run the new line for the speed upgrade. I wonder why it needs a new line?

It depends upon the age of the local 'hood wiring.

They user a thicker lower loss rated cable today than before anyone decided to try to do Internet thru it, and wider bandwidth (not the type of 'bandwidth' which some mean when they mistakenly use the term to describe monthly usage) splitters.

They at least prob'ly plan to run you a new better grade wire from the pole, and likely a new better splitter for the Internet, and then see whether anything else is needed.

On 14 speed, they may have gotten away with the earlier parts (the modem too), but not for today's HS of above 60Mbps in some cases.

And at $5, you should tip the tech a coffee and a doughnut, and send the CS rep some too.
tinyrig
join:2013-03-21

tinyrig

I contacted COGECO today. I currently have Turbo 14 and received following info on Turbo 20 upgrade. First they would not allow me to pick up the DOCSIS 3 modem at a storefront. Insisted that the storefronts didn't carry the modem. Will charge $49.00 less $44.00 rebate = $5.00 for tech to attend residence and do the install. My monthly rate to go from $48.95 to $51.95. New 150 GB monthly download limit. I'm going ahead with the upgrade. I ran a speed test today and am getting slightly over the advertised 14 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. Will be interested in seeing the speed changes after new install.

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg

Anon

I have just called in to ask about this special offer. The CSR didn't know about it, but she went off and spoke to her supervisor, who confirmed the offer. She set me up with an appointment for a modem swap two days from now. She was very thorough, helpful and polite, I'm pleased to report.

She also told me that, effective April 1, the monthly allowance will go to 125GB for Turbo 14 and 150GB for Turbo 20. That will be more than enough for me.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

Start has 20Mbps with 150GB Capfor $39.95.
$50.79 after taxes and modem rental.

GOUGEco is $68.87 with tax without a bundle with a bundle its $57.57 with tax.

Start saves either $6.78(bundled) a month or $18.08(no bundle)

»www.start.ca/services/highspeed

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

On 14 speed, they may have gotten away with the earlier parts (the modem too), but not for today's HS of above 60Mbps in some cases.

For what it's worth, if the run from the tap to his house was RG59 and Turbo 14 was working fine with no power-releated issues, it would work just as fine for Ultimate 60 or any of the other DOCSIS 3 tiers and upgrading the line to RG6 (while certainly a good thing to do) won't improve his Internet connection. The only difference between Turbo 14 and the new DOCSIS 3 tiers is that instead of the modem tuning to only one channel, it tunes to 3 or 4. Those extra channels wouldn't be affected by RG59 any more than one single channel would.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Davesnothere:

For what it's worth, if the run from the tap to his house was RG59 and Turbo 14 was working fine with no power-releated issues, it would work just as fine for Ultimate 60 or any of the other DOCSIS 3 tiers and upgrading the line to RG6 (while certainly a good thing to do) won't improve his Internet connection. The only difference between Turbo 14 and the new DOCSIS 3 tiers is that instead of the modem tuning to only one channel, it tunes to 3 or 4. Those extra channels wouldn't be affected by RG59 any more than one single channel would.

I had a feeling so, but no chance to run an A/B comparison on old/new wiring for myself.

It does, nonetheless, suggest that Cogeco is more interested in maintaining and improving their local wiring than is Bell, and this seems to be borne out by other experiences I've had or about which I have heard, regarding Eastern ON.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to rudeboy24

Premium Member

to rudeboy24
said by rudeboy24:

Start has 20Mbps with 150GB Capfor $39.95.
$50.79 after taxes and modem rental.

GOUGEco is $68.87 with tax without a bundle with a bundle its $57.57 with tax.

Start saves either $6.78(bundled) a month or $18.08(no bundle)

»www.start.ca/services/highspeed

That's MY current package, including a D3 modem.

And don't forget the monthly usage cap and excess usage UBB differences.

Also the FREE off-peak usage at START.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

It does, nonetheless, suggest that Cogeco is more interested in maintaining and improving their local wiring than is Bell, and this seems to be borne out by other experiences I've had or about which I have heard, regarding Eastern ON.

Wiring from the pole to your home isn't the same as plant wiring. Bell does groom their copper throughout their plant the same way cable companies do, they just don't go out of their way to replace wires running from your home to the pole because unless it's damaged it makes no difference as far as how well it works. In the case of cable, it can cause power level issues if they don't replace the wire from the pole (though it usually doesn't)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

....they [Bell] just don't go out of their way to replace wires running from your home to the pole, because unless it's damaged it makes no difference as far as how well it works....

In MY personal experience, Bell is pretty slack about doing THAT, and my original remark was more about 'Hood wiring maint than that of the various plants.

It is an example (and I know of others) of that very slackness which forced me to move to Cable from DSL, and about which I have already posted in more detail at least a couple of times on DSLR.

The saving grace is that Cogeco's network is more solid around here (newer too), and that START came along early with better deals thru it.

Doesn't matter what the wire LOOKS like, nor whether it has intermittent fails - if it hasn't fallen off the poles, Bell will try to get by as it is.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well, the copper plant used by the telcos is more resilient than CATV. Even though you may see a rats nest of wires somewhere, more often than not it will work just as well as a rats nest than if the wires were brand new.

With cable being a closed system more susceptible to more interference and requiring amplification about every 200-300 feet or so, plant maintenance is a *much* more important issue.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

....With cable being a closed system more susceptible to more interference and requiring amplification about every 200-300 feet or so, plant maintenance is a *much* more important issue....

....Which may well be a blessing in disguise to subscribers, but which may also drive up the Cablecos' cost of providing their service, I reckon.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

In some ways it's more expensive, in other ways it's cheaper.