Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to weyoun

Premium Member

to weyoun

Re: [INTERNET] Should I switch from Turbo 14 to Turbo 20?

I dropped into the store to ask them about upgrading. I was offered the $45 rebate and the $1 monthly increase, so that's good. However, I as told that because I'm on a promotion until September for my current service, I'm not eligible to change. That was a bit frustrating, as I consider the promotion to be like a contract, in that I'm stuck with them until the promotion ends, but I shouldn't be limited in terms of what I can have for services. Obviously, they see it differently, as in the contract is for that specific service, not just service with Cogeco.

The saleswoman suggested I call in and see if they will override that at the higher level, but she could not do so. I'm not unhappy with the service I've got right now, and the extra cap space already added is probably more than enough based on my current usage, so I may not bother to call. I'll think about it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Styvas:

I may not bother to call.

Find a few minutes out of your day, load up a news web site to click through and just go through the motions of the phone call... doesn't hurt to try.

If the change came into effect after you signed up with whatever contract you're in, I don't see why they can't make an adjustment for you if you pose it to them like that. "I agreed to this, but then you came out with something that didn't exist when I agreed to this, so I'd like to change to that."

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I don't think they're being unreasonable. It just would have been nice to go into the store, agree to the change, swap the modem and only pay $1 more plus the $5 for the swap. I agree that it's worth calling in. My hesitation is the fact that I can't go back to Turbo 14 (I presume) once the promotional period is up, and who knows what pricing options there will be at that point. I don't want to be stuck with 20 and unable to afford it, but not want to downgrade to 10 (or whatever the next available package is below 14).
weyoun
join:2013-03-03

weyoun

I see you guys talking about this $5 installation where they sometimes rewire you to have new wires, now, I live in a 10 year old subdivision, is that something I would need? Or are my wires already new enough?

Because I'm trying to decide whether to just pick up the modem and install it myself, or have the company come and do it for 5 bucks - which would only be of interest to me if they were doing new wiring.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I think the best thing to do is call and ask and they'll tell you. They can look it up based on your area while you're on the phone.
weyoun

weyoun

I dunno, I think the people on here are a lot more knowledgeable than the average phone jockey at Cogeco... I don't trust them, to be honest.

I call them about things and one person there will tell me one thing, and then the next time I call another person will tell me something different. One time they told me that the HDMI cables have "code in them that lags and doesn't work very well, so [I] should use component cables"... I asked them if they had HDMI cables with better software in them, and he said "no, all of the hdmi cables that cogeco has suck, so there's no point getting a replacement from them because it will still suck" lol...

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg

Anon

said by weyoun:

One time they told me that the HDMI cables have "code in them that lags and doesn't work very well, so [I] should use component cables"... I asked them if they had HDMI cables with better software in them, and he said "no, all of the hdmi cables that cogeco has suck, so there's no point getting a replacement from them because it will still suck" lol...

I've had no problems with the HDMI cables supplied by Cogeco with their Pace DC550D. My system is now all HDMI - TV, STB, Blu-ray, WD Live and home theatre receiver. I got rid of a lot of bulky component and audio cables.
Myrdhinn
join:2003-12-20
Hamilton, ON

Myrdhinn

I just switched to day and the Hamilton storefront charged me $50. Guy didn't believe me when I said others were not having to pay, even said the cog reps from here were saying you don't pay. sigh... I'd leave if it wasn't for my mom have the tv on cogeco so we're bundled.
jafo98
join:2001-09-08
Chatham, ON

jafo98

I called yesterday and they told me it was $50. I saw on this topic that it was $5 after the credit. Called back today and the CSR told me that the cost to change is $5 and she was sorry I was given the wrong information yesterday when I called in. I would call in and see if they can credit you for the $50 you paid at the storefront.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to weyoun

Premium Member

to weyoun
Cogeco *really* needs to get their act together on this.
Myrdhinn
join:2003-12-20
Hamilton, ON

Myrdhinn to weyoun

to weyoun
So I called Cogeco and whined and complained. Turns out there is some sort of promo when upgrading and they wave $44.95 of the modem swap fee, so I only pay $5. Hmmmmm, looks like some of the storefront staff are ripping people off and not mentioning this fact.
weyoun

weyoun to M in Cobourg

to M in Cobourg
said by M in Cobourg :

I've had no problems with the HDMI cables supplied by Cogeco with their Pace DC550D.

That's the funny thing, neither have I. My hd receiver was bad and he kept trying to blame the hdmi cable. They made me try component cables and the problem still occurred, so they had to replace my box. TBH it bothers me that they are sitting on brand new boxes that are way better than the old ones, but they don't bother telling the customers this.

Anyhow, so do you guys think a 10 year old suburb house needs new wiring for Turbo 20 or should I just go pickup the modem and use my existing wiring?

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg

Anon

said by weyoun:

Anyhow, so do you guys think a 10 year old suburb house needs new wiring for Turbo 20 or should I just go pickup the modem and use my existing wiring?

Call in, insist on the $44.95 rebate, and let the install tech check your wiring. It's worth the 5 bucks.