dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cgott42423
join:2013-03-03

cgott42423

Verizon FIOS - continual drops - NAT table issue?

I have Verizon FIOS 65/35 FIOS connection w/Actiontec router
The problem is that whenever I upload large files, the connection drops . Although I can restore it via a call to Verizon or by rebooting the router - it's a BIG pain, and requires me to restart the upload, only to crash again.
I read something here »www.jaredlog.com/?p=1042 which explains that the "The router contains a very small (1K) NAT table which can quickly get full if there is a sufficient number of simultaneous connections " which is exactly how I transfer files - via simultaneous connections.
That page has instructions on how to use a 2nd router w/ the Actiontect - however the instructions differ somewhat from the ones in the DSLreports FAQ how to bypass the Actiontec router.
That other page is from '09 so it might even be outdated.
Will the DSLreports - FAQ instructions - solve my problem?

Any help is appreciated.

thx

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

What type of app are you using to upload? (FTP, torrent, brower, etc)

To just another host or to many hosts?
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to cgott42423

to cgott42423
I doubt its the Actiontec's NAT table. That blog you linked to is probably referring to the very early revisions of the Actiontec MI424WR. The most recent versions(G, I, etc) are very robust when it comes to NAT table performance. Unless you're using thousands of simultaneous connections to transfer large files(not very efficient) I would say it's something else.

If I remember right there was some strange bug with a few Actiontecs out in the wild where a large file transfer would kill the router and the only solution would be to get a replacement. I distinctly remember it but am a little too lazy to find the thread right now.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to cgott42423

Premium Member

to cgott42423
Run a simple test, no guessing needed.

Directly connect your computer to the ONT perform the upload, if it works or not, then since you imply it fails every-time with a large upload, this should answer you question if its the router or not

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to cgott42423

MVM

to cgott42423
said by cgott42423:

I read something here »www.jaredlog.com/?p=1042 which explains that the "The router contains a very small (1K) NAT table which can quickly get full if there is a sufficient number of simultaneous connections"

That information is from 2009 and is very dated and does not apply to current GEN3 Actiontecs.

You don't specify which revision of the Actiontec you have, but it's probably NOT one of the original gen1 Actiontecs that article was referring to. You can check the specific revision you have in the table here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?
cgott42423

cgott42423 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
thx
is there anything else I need to do, or is it just simply plugging the computer into the ONT to get connected to the internet, and then upload.

To answer the other Q asked - I use logmein Himachi to set up a VPN between 2 locations and then transfer files. with that connection I transfer with freedownloadmanager to get multiple simultaneous connections, or just directly transfer with Windows Explorer

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by cgott42423:

is there anything else I need to do

You should release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec before disconnecting it, otherwise you may have a hard time acquiring a new DHCP lease until the old one expires.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?

Gary A
join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL

Gary A

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't."

I still laugh at that line every time you post, More Fiber.

I know, I'm so I'll quit now.
cgott42423

cgott42423 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Run a simple test, no guessing needed.

Directly connect your computer to the ONT perform the upload, if it works or not, then since you imply it fails every-time with a large upload, this should answer you question if its the router or not

Sorry for the delay, I finally got around to testing this.

I released the DHCP (as per suggestion from "More Fiber"), unplugged the router and then went to the ONT.
I noticed that the MoCA light was blinking red
Anyway, I plugged in my computer directly to the ONT via Cat5 cable - however it wouldn't connect.

When I plugged my router back in, the internet worked and the MoCA turned green. I tried to transfer a coule of files (the old way - i.e. not directly to the ONT) and it crashed during the 2nd transfer.

Did I do something wrong with the ONT connection?

I found someone else with a similar problem
»businessforums.verizon.n ··· p/347207
but don't see that he got it resolved only that he also had about 10 FIOS techs come to his house without fixing it

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to cgott42423

MVM

to cgott42423
How is your WAN connection provisioned? cat5 or coax?

If your WAN connection is provisioned for coax, you can't simply plug in to the RJ45 jack on the ONT. You must have the provisioning changed by VZ. On the main status page of the Actiontec, it will show either Broadband Coax Connected or Broadband ethernet connected.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
cgott42423

cgott42423

the router connects to the ONT via coax
cgott42423

cgott42423

also why was the MoCA light red - I don't know if it was red before I released the DHCP , but after I released it - it was red.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

When you unplugged the router there was no Moca connection to the ONT. As in the coax was going to a Router that was powered off, so ONT did not see it as being plugged in.