uniqs
share rss forum feed

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1

[OS X] Has anyone had this issue with Macbook Pro?

If my Macbook sits for a couple of hours with it's lid shut... sleeping, when I open it up, I'm left seeing a gray translucent screen (you can see the wall paper behind it, but it's blurry) with a progress bar at the bottom.
After that, it kinda hangs on the next screen where I enter a pwd.

After about a total of about a minute or 2, I'm able to type the pwd and it logs in fine and everything from there on in, is fine.

Now I've searched for an answer on google and I found different results mentioning everything from booting in Safe mode, to resetting the PRAM. Found here:
»support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

I even seen something mentioned about ending Dock, rebooting.
And something about doing adjusting the screen resolution settings and what not to where it would set everything to default settings removing your wallpaper and screen saver.

Well that last part got me thinking, I had a wallpaper that I was using that was being used from a folder in my Facebook profile. It seems as though it was directly linked to that pic. So I decided to choose a local pic rather than something online, I closed the lid, and left it sit for a couple of hours.

I went to open it up and the log on screen popped on immediately. There was no waiting at all.

So is it possible that the photo I was using as a wallpaper from my facebook account, was the reason for the long delay in the Mac waking up?
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

This has happened to (more than one) of my early Intel 2.4Ghz Macboks Pro's.....on more than one occasion......

So much so, that until you mentioned it, I thought it was 'normal'........bootup behaviour......I'd just assumed it was from a certain sleep/lid/ scenario that caused this 'boot sequence'............

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

said by kerriskandie:

This has happened to (more than one) of my early Intel 2.4Ghz Macboks Pro's.....on more than one occasion......

So much so, that until you mentioned it, I thought it was 'normal'........bootup behaviour......I'd just assumed it was from a certain sleep/lid/ scenario that caused this 'boot sequence'............

It sounds like a wake-from-hiberate. The progress bar indicates that it's copying the contents of the RAM back off the disk.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18

said by Daemon:

said by kerriskandie:

It sounds like a wake-from-hiberate. The progress bar indicates that it's copying the contents of the RAM back off the disk.

This really sounds like the case. When you first close the lid the Mac goes to sleep, using a little battery power to keep the RAM alive. Then when the Mac thinks the battery is running low, it saves the contents of RAM to the hard drive and turns off. After this, when you open the lid, the blurry gray screen and progress bar appear while it reads the hard drive and restores it back to RAM.

So either your battery is not healthy, or the system is prematurely saving the RAM to the hard drive.
--
less talk, more music

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

said by Ctrl Alt Del See Profile
So either your battery is not healthy, or the system is prematurely saving the RAM to the hard drive.

Definitely not a battery or HD issue. If it's been a couple of hours it should have gone into hibernate that is what it's designed to do. Now the length of time it's taking to reload that information is a little more than it should be but jumping to it being a hardware issue is premature.

The issue is probably that it's having to verify the wallpaper. Because it's not a local file it has to make sure it's correct but can't until certain files have started running again (TCP/IP stack) so it makes it take longer.

So you can either use a local wallpaper or you can try and disable hibernate.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to onebadmofo

I have an ongoing situation similar to yours

My mid 09 MBP behaves flawlessly in all respects
When I raise the lid it is instantly ready for me to enter pw

I bought a refurb mid 11 MBA last Dec
If it has been asleep for more than a few hours, it takes between 12 to 18 seconds before the cursor is ready to accept pw entry - going thru various flickers and flashes
Shorter sleeps and it wakes up right away like my MBP

Last time I took it to the Genius he took it to the back for awhile and when he came back suggested I take it home and see if it is fixed
It isn't

I have tried quitting everything so only OS is running before I drop the lid
Doesn't make a difference at all

Hopefully I can swoop the Apple store this week for another go at it

kitsune

Sacramento, CA

said by Liberty:

If it has been asleep for more than a few hours, it takes between 12 to 18 seconds before the cursor is ready to accept pw entry - going thru various flickers and flashes

Last time I took it to the Genius he took it to the back for awhile and when he came back suggested I take it home and see if it is fixed
It isn't

I would try disabling hibernate (safe sleep): sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

It could also be power nap. I am fairly certain that model MBA has it. Power nap is easy to turn off. It's just in Energy saver at the bottom on both battery and power adapter sections. If it's not there your system doesn't have it.

If disabling either of those fixes it I would reinstall the OS as it should work normally.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

said by Daemon:

said by kerriskandie:

This really sounds like the case. When you first close the lid the Mac goes to sleep, using a little battery power to keep the RAM alive. Then when the Mac thinks the battery is running low, it saves the contents of RAM to the hard drive and turns off. After this, when you open the lid, the blurry gray screen and progress bar appear while it reads the hard drive and restores it back to RAM.

Ok but, I actually have it plugged into the power source when the lid is closed. And it really doesn't seem to matter whether its plugged in or not. The outcome remains the same.

I remember typing a cmd that was supposed to eliminate something that would make the computer slow on wake up. And I can't remember what it was or where I found the info at. But...that didn't work either.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to kitsune

said by kitsune:

said by Ctrl Alt Del See Profile

Definitely not a battery or HD issue. If it's been a couple of hours it should have gone into hibernate that is what it's designed to do. Now the length of time it's taking to reload that information is a little more than it should be but jumping to it being a hardware issue is premature.

The issue is probably that it's having to verify the wallpaper. Because it's not a local file it has to make sure it's correct but can't until certain files have started running again (TCP/IP stack) so it makes it take longer.

So you can either use a local wallpaper or you can try and disable hibernate.

The wallpaper thing didn't work. But damn, did it make sense to me at the time...and still does make sense to me.
--

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to onebadmofo

This may not have value to OP situation

Just returned from another visit to the Genius regarding the slow wake up from sleep on my non-retina MBA (third time)

He did some browsing and found this:

"After the release of Apple’s Mountain Lion, some user are experiencing slow wake up times on MacBook Pro’s with Retina and Air’s. When you open the lit after a long time of sleep, you may have to wait more than 10 seconds before you can enter the password.

This slow wake up will not happen every time to open the lid, so first I thought it is a bug in Mountain Lion. Now I know it better. Apple now uses a new powersaving mode to fulfill the 30 days of standby. The new MacBook Pro’s and Air’s are now switching after a delay of 1 hour from sleep modus to standby. In the standby mode the content of the RAM will be written to the hard drive and the RAM is powered down to further extend battery life. When you wake up the MacBook from standby, the content must first read back to the RAM and this can take some seconds depending on the RAM size...."

»www.alexanderwilde.com/2012/09/o···retina/#

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to onebadmofo

said by onebadmofo:

Ok but, I actually have it plugged into the power source when the lid is closed. And it really doesn't seem to matter whether its plugged in or not. The outcome remains the same.

I remember typing a cmd that was supposed to eliminate something that would make the computer slow on wake up. And I can't remember what it was or where I found the info at. But...that didn't work either.

Okay so maybe your standby/hibernate settings are the same on AC or on battery. The wake from hibernate screen looks like what you are describing. Look at the /var/log/messages file for lines just before and just after it went to sleep/woke up. They may indicate a switch to hibernation. (You can use console.app to read them)
--
-Ryan

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to Liberty

said by Liberty:

This may not have value to OP situation

Just returned from another visit to the Genius regarding the slow wake up from sleep on my non-retina MBA (third time)

He did some browsing and found this:

"After the release of Apple’s Mountain Lion, some user are experiencing slow wake up times on MacBook Pro’s with Retina and Air’s. When you open the lit after a long time of sleep, you may have to wait more than 10 seconds before you can enter the password.

This slow wake up will not happen every time to open the lid, so first I thought it is a bug in Mountain Lion. Now I know it better. Apple now uses a new powersaving mode to fulfill the 30 days of standby. The new MacBook Pro’s and Air’s are now switching after a delay of 1 hour from sleep modus to standby. In the standby mode the content of the RAM will be written to the hard drive and the RAM is powered down to further extend battery life. When you wake up the MacBook from standby, the content must first read back to the RAM and this can take some seconds depending on the RAM size...."

»www.alexanderwilde.com/2012/09/o···retina/#

I've tried this fix before, and it didn't work.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to kitsune

said by kitsune:

said by Liberty:

It isn't

I would try disabling hibernate (safe sleep): sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Although, this...may have worked.
Not sure yet. But I'll post back whether it does or not.
--

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
reply to onebadmofo

"I've tried this fix before, and it didn't work."

I set mine to about 28 hours and works for me as I rarely go beyond 24 hrs before using it

Hope disabling works for you

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

said by Liberty:

"I've tried this fix before, and it didn't work."

I set mine to about 28 hours and works for me as I rarely go beyond 24 hrs before using it

Hope disabling works for you

At the time when I did it, I went the extreme and set it for some "thousand" hours. And the next day, it was doing the same thing.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo

3 days since I entered the disable hibernate command and it hasn't shown me the gray screen.
Still though...I'm not holding my breath.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo

Ok it appears that this happens only when the lid is closed and the laptop is plugged in to the power source. If it's on battery power, it operates as one would expect and doesn't show the gray transparent screen.

I'm still not sure why it happens. And I have power adapter settings to NEVER have the computer go to sleep. So i dunno.
--

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

said by onebadmofo:

Ok it appears that this happens only when the lid is closed and the laptop is plugged in to the power source. If it's on battery power, it operates as one would expect and doesn't show the gray transparent screen.

I'm still not sure why it happens. And I have power adapter settings to NEVER have the computer go to sleep. So i dunno.

Do you have any entries in the log that indicate the computer thought it was very low on power at any point? If you have a defective logic board that is misrouting power, perhaps the machine is going into emergency hibernate thinking it's going to lose all power.
--
-Ryan

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

said by Daemon:

said by onebadmofo:

Do you have any entries in the log that indicate the computer thought it was very low on power at any point? If you have a defective logic board that is misrouting power, perhaps the machine is going into emergency hibernate thinking it's going to lose all power.

I wouldn't know where to find that info.
--

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to onebadmofo

You would look for it in Console. Probably under the system log. You will find console in the utilities folder. Once you open it there should be a list of logs along the left.