Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jeremy1976

join:2012-01-15
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

Maine-How is the latency on twc?

I live in Belfast maine and currently have Fairpoint dsl, ive never had cable broadband. I qualify for the 50/5 ultimate plan here and im thinking about switching over this spring..the only thing holding me back from doing so now is id have to pay someone to put in a 2' conduit along the side of my driveway because i have all underground utilities. It's going to be pretty pricey around to have this done because im 500 ft from the pole i need a bigger cable then whats typically installed or it wouldnt work. My dsl service through Fairpoint is garbage imo..i have the 3/.7 mbps plan thats the best i can get from them and the latency is horrible around 150-200ms pings in the evening every night. I cant even watch a video let alone use the ps3 to play online because its always buffering. Id like to know from other people who live in maine and have i high speed plan from TWC what the typical latency is like to say google.com and is it pretty reliable?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
I am down in york county on the Extreme plan (30/5) and have no issues. About 50 ms to google, fwiw.

Jeremy1976

join:2012-01-15
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Jeremy1976
I guess thats the road i'll probably head down this spring when the ground thaws out. Bandwidth is pointless if your latency is bad...it's too bad more people arent informed. The average Joe thinks of speed as bandwidth which is very misleading. Most people dont really need the higher tier plan it's just a gimmick the ISP's want you to believe and buy in to. Latency much more important i'd probably go with a middle level plan. Im pretty sure the latency is the same no matter what plan your on from basic to ultimate..its the same way on DSL.

ZeroCooLZ666

join:2003-12-02
Jefferson, ME
reply to Jeremy1976
I'm in Jefferson, Maine and TWC here, has been flawless (only during bad weather have I seen my connection suffer, or the rare maintenance job) connection speed is always constantly at tier cap and latency is always low.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
reply to Jeremy1976
I average about 37 to google.

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to Jeremy1976
TWC is really the only decent option here. I had DSL years ago when Verizon was here and it was okay. Once Fairpoint took over it would go down almost daily and slowed to a crawl.

I've had TWC for about 4 years now and it's only gone down once. And that was during Hurricane Irene. It's rock-steady with no slow-downs. Latency is like what you'd expect. About 40ms to Google.

nctwc

@rr.com
reply to Jeremy1976
I'm wondering this also, moving a little outside Raleigh, NC and the only option other than DSL is TWC. Do all packages (basic, turbo, extreme etc) get the same latency?

ZeroCooLZ666

join:2003-12-02
Jefferson, ME
I would assume so. Bandwidth has very little to do with achieving low latency when we're talking about simply pinging a site or on-line gaming. Assuming you meet the very low bandwidth requirements to do so.

Now whether Docsis 3.0 vs 2.0 has any improvement: all I can say is I went from 16/1 to 20/2 (when we got the free upgrade) and then to 30/5 as soon as I learned Docsis 3.0 was in my area and I've noticed no latency changes.