spc
uniqs
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

1 edit

FirebirdTN to 56885201

to 56885201

Re: Can you insert a switch between modem and router?

Cool Dawg-THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I am on a residential connection (single, dynamic IP). My switch isn't a managed switch, but I think you probably hit the nail on the head.

Matter of fact, its a 5 port ZyXel GS-105 (Gig-E). I suspect it does have its own MAC, but I don't know that for certain.

I'll give the old dumb hub a try tomorrow.

-Alan

-EDIT- Yup, I'm officially an idiot. This isn't a "smart" (managed) switch, but I just looked on the bottom; it DOES indeed have its own MAC.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

What you're trying wont work because the switch can't "pull" an IP address even if it has a mac address.
56885201 (banned)
Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dawg
join:2005-05-01
Dawg House

56885201 (banned) to FirebirdTN

to FirebirdTN
said by FirebirdTN:

Cool Dawg-THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I am on a residential connection (single, dynamic IP). My switch isn't a managed switch, but I think you probably hit the nail on the head.

Matter of fact, its a 5 port ZyXel GS-105 (Gig-E). I suspect it does have its own MAC, but I don't know that for certain.

I'll give the old dumb hub a try tomorrow.

-Alan

-EDIT- Yup, I'm officially an idiot. This isn't a "smart" (managed) switch, but I just looked on the bottom; it DOES indeed have its own MAC.

That is very interesting. I switched from using a Netgear GS108E to using a ZyXEL GS105S. The GS105S does have a MAC address listed on its printed label, but (unlike the Netgear GS108E), it does not seem to be visible to either of my cable modems (a D-Link DCM202 and a Motorola SB6121).

Now I am going to have to do some investigating to find out why the ZyXEL GS105S works without its MAC address gumming up the works. And I also will to try to find out if it has any accessible ports. I did not initially do any kind of PEN testing on that switch because I thought it was a simple layer 2 device (I didn't even notice that ZyXEL had assigned it a MAC address until I read your post).
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

FWIW, mine is a GS-105B.

-Alan