Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mrschultz02

Re: [Speed] Speed increase.

How much of a noticeable difference will I notice going from 16mbps to 20mbps? I play Xbox Live, watch movies in HD on Netflix, web browse, DL contents from the Xbox Live marketplace, watch Youtube videos, Twitch.TV, Justin.TV.

I get 16 sustain rate, 20 or more with PB.

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA

said by Madtown:

How much of a noticeable difference will I notice going from 16mbps to 20mbps? I play Xbox Live, watch movies in HD on Netflix, web browse, DL contents from the Xbox Live marketplace, watch Youtube videos, Twitch.TV, Justin.TV.

If you get the increase to 22 down sustained the place you will notice the difference is downloading large files (stuff over a few hundred MB). Almost 1/3 less time to download big files. For me the only difference streaming wise is that I can now stream Vudu 3D in HDX, it pulls 11Mbps continuous so I don't know why I couldn't stream it when I was at 16, but now can at 22. All other (even HD) streaming I do uses way less than 16, so no difference with any of those. I suppose if you have a lot of people at home you could now get one extra person doing simultaneous streaming.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Madtown

said by Madtown:

I don't think that you will see a great deal of difference, but borderline stuff should run smoother.

Comcast says that performance is now 20/4, but it appears my constant speeds are more like 22/4.5.

Downloads are noticeably quicker and web pages come up a bit snappier but otherwise I notice no significant difference, which at those speeds, I wouldn't expect too much anyway. YouTube, Netflix, etc. seem about the same overall.
--
Deeds, not words

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Madtown

said by Madtown:

How much of a noticeable difference will I notice going from 16mbps to 20mbps? ...

Not much, based upon what I've seen in my experiences over the past few days at 20mbbps (actually 22mbps according to shaperprobe).

My large file downloads (e.g., a Linux ISO download, 4 or so GBytes) now run around 2.5 to 2.8 MBytes/sec, as opposed to the previous 1.7 to 2.1 MBytes/sec).

Yes, it is faster. If I time the download, I can see it is faster. But I don't "notice" the additional speed unless I actually time the download.

I don't upload much, so I cannot comment on the 2mbps to 4mbps increase just yet.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Madtown

said by Madtown:

I can tell the increase from 12/2 to 17/3. I'd love it if we got bumped to 2x/4 but business class is usually way after residential.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

AnonMan

@comcast.net

Speed increase has 0 impact on games except if someone is maxing your line out while you play such as a big download or something.

Games are more impacted by latency.

The average online game uses about 1-2mb of bandwidth itself.

That said, so how much it helps depends if anyone uses it heavy now while you game.

Same goes for VoIP, little bandwidth, more latency/ping dependent. High load on line maxing it out will increase ping thus slow down, but if no one is using games/phones will be the same as on a 5mb line lol

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by AnonMan :

Speed increase has 0 impact on games

There is a lot more to the Internet than games. With multiple active users/servers/services running, the more bandwidth you have the better.

For one person, on one device, less so.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to camper

If I may add to my prior comments about the speed increase.... Comcast's ability to provide YouTube videos still sucks.

This evening I wanted to watch a YouTube video. After waiting a few minutes for the video to load, I gave up. Comcast could give me enough bandwidth to watch a YouTube video. How sad. A technological failure that Comcast now has to own.

20mbps means little when Comcast appears to actively throttle YouTube (and what other?) websites.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Are you sure that it is Comcast and not YouTube?

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to camper

I have a hard time trying to watch Youtube, either using Ctl or Comcast.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to camper

said by camper:

If I may add to my prior comments about the speed increase.... Comcast's ability to provide YouTube videos still sucks.

This evening I wanted to watch a YouTube video. After waiting a few minutes for the video to load, I gave up. Comcast could give me enough bandwidth to watch a YouTube video. How sad. A technological failure that Comcast now has to own.

20mbps means little when Comcast appears to actively throttle YouTube (and what other?) websites.

Comcast does not "throttle" YouTube. Not saying that perhaps you aren't having problems, but that does not mean it is a Comcast issue.

I too am in CT and have no problems with YouTube, and did not have any issues before the speed increase for that matter (I am also on the performance tier).

YouTube is notorious for having server issues btw.
--
Deeds, not words

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Madtown:

I can tell the increase from 12/2 to 17/3. I'd love it if we got bumped to 2x/4 but business class is usually way after residential.

I would love the increase too but can wait since 17/3 serves our purpose really well, such that any increases will just be icing on the cake....

I wonder why they make biz users suffer a little when it comes to speed upgrades...