spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

NID question

What is the purpose during a professional installation of U-verse IP-DSL of installing a new line module and surge protection module?

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

Probably bad or simply outdated.
A lot of old NIDs were intended to be used with POTS and don't work well with VDSL.

In my case they changed the NID + drop.
(mine is buried so they went to the first peewee)

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to wizkid6

Premium Member

to wizkid6
You might be shocked, but there are just a few NIDs out there that don't have any surge protection, mainly becuase the ground is missing/removed.

Also drops need replaced at times. And also jumpers may need ran at your local SAC/CrossBox
GoldenRemote
join:2008-02-13
Lisle/IL

GoldenRemote

Poss. A whole home pots/dsl filter if you have pots and old carbon protectors need to be updated with new gas protectors, ban tag, and b-sealant so the guy doesn't get written up by his boss when he does a quality inspection at your house.

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

2 edits

wizkid6

I don't have a pots line. I currently have FastAccess Xtreme 6.0 Direct. All jacks have been severed from the NID except the one the modem is connected to. Reposted from a direct thread with no response:
quote:
I'm getting U-verse installed on Thursday, and am thinking I will need a new drop and probably the line from the NID to the jack replaced. Here are my stats:

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 1341 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21952 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 509 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   ADSL2+
TPS-TC:                 ATM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        29.4            19.7
Attn(dB):        20.0            10.7
Pwr(dBm):        19.2           -14.8

Total Cells:    2377540305              3646609036
Data Cells:     1913370348              84791127
Drop Cells:     0
INP:            0.00            0.00
INPRein:                0               0
delay:          0               0
Bit Errors:     0               10328

I'm having no problems with those stats, but am concerned that stats like that will cause problems (since I assume U-verse uses the extra 256 'buckets' in the DMT specification as compared to standard DSL).

Keep in mind that these stats are from a Zyxel P660HN-51, which uses the Broadcom BCM6328. As the NVG510 uses the BCM6362 chip, I should see very similar performance (similar to the above) as it also uses the xdslctl tool for diagnostics.

The Zyxel offers telnet access without having to "root" the device as described here.

Especially concerning is what my SNR and attenuation would be with Max Plus, which is the tier I am having installed.

And will the tech do the provisioning for me?

By "provisioning" I mean either waiting for me to do it at lsreg.att.net or him doing it for me. Can the tech do it by calling dispatch?

I want to run ShaperProbe before he leaves to make sure I am getting at least 17-17.6mpbs on my 18mbit line. Is that reasonable?

I'm about 5000 feet from the CO.

if I reset the NVG510 (using the reset button) to defaults, would it get rid of the "jailbreak"? I am worried that with the additional 256 tones (per the DMT standard) that will be used by U-verse, that it will cause my SNR, attenuation, and power readings to go to crap.

Can anyone help me with some or all of these questions?