how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

databird

join:2008-05-17
Toronto, ON

TS policy/procedure on upgrading from DSLx to DSLy

I'm thinking of upgrading from DSL6 to DSL10. My DSL6 setup works just fine, at rated speeds.

Does the technician have to do anything special at the actual building (i.e. here)? Or is it just a switch that is pulled at the head office or something?

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
An install is required for all upgrades to ADSL2+.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

1 edit
reply to databird
There will be an activation fee AFAIK also . TSI sells the ZyXel VSG 1432 VDSL2 Gateway for about $130 plus shipping IIRC . You will be moved to a remote ( FTTN ) to achieve those speeds. A tech visit may be required , you should get an 'official' response on that ....

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

Modem may work

quote:
Your current modem won't work
Why do you say that? Going from ADSL to ADSL2 often will work with the same modem.
--
Everything Apple

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to databird

Re: TS policy/procedure on upgrading from DSLx to DSLy

Upgraded from DSL6 to DSL16 during the free upgrade period. Using same Speedtouch 516v6. Check your modem specs in any case.

A tech came over and changed the line profile on-site.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
reply to Eug

Re: Modem may work

said by Eug:

Why do you say that? Going from ADSL to ADSL2 often will work with the same modem.

My bad The Zyxel is VDSL . You only need ADSL2 for this ....

databird

Toronto, ON
reply to JonyBelGeul

Re: TS policy/procedure on upgrading from DSLx to DSLy

Ok, but does the technician's visit including entering the actual apartment/unit? I just have a phobia of strangers entering my place.

I'm totally ok if all the technician is doing is going into the wiring room and having to work there...

JonyBelGeul
Premium
I believe he has to enter the premise to do some tests. I guess he's gotta make sure the service is functional, i.e. that I can use it from my PC. So he checked the wall jack, made a few line tests from there, adjusted the line profile so I get full speed, took no more than 5 minutes and that was it.
--

databird

Toronto, ON
I see.

The real reason I want to upgrade is the increased upload (from 0.8mbps to 1mbps). That extra 20+ kB/s upload is really what I'm after.

JonyBelGeul
Premium
Oh, you might be disappointed then. I still have the same 670Kbps upload I had with DSL6. It all depends on the box (line card, remote, what's the thingy's name?) you hook up to. Mine can't handle much more than about 800Kbps in spite of my modem being capable of doing 1.5Mbps on the upload, hence the actual 670Kbps speed. The only way to make sure you have higher upload than you got now is to go with DSL25 or even cable.
--

databird

Toronto, ON
said by JonyBelGeul:

Oh, you might be disappointed then. I still have the same 670Kbps upload I had with DSL6. It all depends on the box (line card, remote, what's the thingy's name?) you hook up to. Mine can't handle much more than about 800Kbps in spite of my modem being capable of doing 1.5Mbps on the upload, hence the actual 670Kbps speed. The only way to make sure you have higher upload than you got now is to go with DSL25 or even cable.

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

JonyBelGeul
Premium
While you wait for somebody else to chime in, you can call Teksavvy or PM some TSI-person here and ask them what your line can do on the upload. Try TSI-Martin, he's good with stuff like that.
--

databird

Toronto, ON
I checked by calling in. They said I can go up to DSL25 (as they recently upgraded to fiber optic in the area). So yea, that's good news.

I'm not sure they did a formal "test" of it though. I suppose that's what the technician does or something.

I really want that extra 20+ kB/s upload. I could really use it. :|

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to databird
If they fixed the $3.75/month tariff BS for the optional 10Mbps upload on 15Mbps downstream tier that makes 15/10 more expensive than 25/10, we could have some pretty sweet options around the $40/month mark.

databird

Toronto, ON
It's official: I'm getting DSL10. Yay for better upload.

Don't really need the faster download, so I figure I'd save that extra 60+ bucks a year...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to databird
said by databird:

I see.

The real reason I want to upgrade is the increased upload (from 0.8mbps to 1mbps). That extra 20+ kB/s upload is really what I'm after.

Don't get your hopes up on that... There are certain remotes that don't handle 1mbps upload on ADSL2+ well at all, depending on the modem the sync rate is often less than 800k. So it's a crapshoot, and even if you land on a good remote, some modems dont sync to well on the higher upstream, you may be able to get 900-950k sync over your 800k on adsl1.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

databird

Toronto, ON
To be honest, I'd be happy with 0.85mb+, because I currently get 0.62-0.65mb up (according to speedtest.net) on a supposed 0.8mb up line.

Is that indicative of anything? Should I be ready for disappointment? O_o

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to databird
Perhaps consider waiting for TekSavvy's new 25/10 promo at $42.99 per month with 300 GB per month usage. Those rates should be live relatively soon.

You'd need a new modem though.

25 down is awesome stuff like Netflix, but the consistent fast uploads are great too.

--
Everything Apple

TSI ShawnS
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5

2 edits
reply to databird
said by databird:

I'm thinking of upgrading from DSL6 to DSL10. My DSL6 setup works just fine, at rated speeds.

Does the technician have to do anything special at the actual building (i.e. here)? Or is it just a switch that is pulled at the head office or something?

Going from DSL 6 to DSL 10 or higher.
A new activation would be required. If you have dry loop, there will also be another dry loop activation fee.

$95 DSL 10, 15 and 25 activation
$19.99 Dry loop activation
and the first month of service is due at the time of order.

On the date of activation between the hours of noon and 9pm there may be the need for 2 technicians to come to the home to perform the installation. The first technician will be responsible for ensuring the service is active to the locations demarcation point. The second technician may require access inside of the home. We will require you to be present for both of these technician visits.

If anyone has questions, please send us a message in »TekSavvy Direct Forum with your complete address we can provide you with our service options.

--
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork