Search similar:

uniqs

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl

[Cable] POI equipment inquiry...

I'm very curious.

What equipment is used for a TekSavvy cable Internet POI?

As in, Cisco router(s)? Something else? Additional equipment that jointly makes a POI? Etc.

I don't know whether TSI can even release this information (I know some companies strictly do not divulge this info due to fear of vulnerabilities being exploited).

If anybody knows, though, and can satisfy my curiosity, it would be greatly appreciated.
Grump
join:2012-11-07
London, ON

Grump

A CMTS terminates cable modems, like a DSLAM for DSL. From there it'll be a switched & IP network to the internet.

In a resellers case...
Rogers CMTS -> Switched/VLAN (& possibly IP) -> Teksavvy

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· n_system
There's a list of manufacturers of CMTS there.

POI is where Rogers choses to give Teksavvy a link to all of the CMTS's in the region, possibly to the CMTS itself (but I doubt it). The actual connection there will likely be a fibre or gigE link from Rogers switching gear to Tek's, switch to a switch. The switches can be anything, guessing Cisco or Juniper.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to NytOwl

to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

I'm very curious.

What equipment is used for a TekSavvy cable Internet POI?

As in, Cisco router(s)? Something else? Additional equipment that jointly makes a POI? Etc.

I don't know whether TSI can even release this information (I know some companies strictly do not divulge this info due to fear of vulnerabilities being exploited).

If anybody knows, though, and can satisfy my curiosity, it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know model specifics but TSI uses Juniper routers. They most likely also have a set of switches with each set of routers and TSI uses Force10 switches.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to NytOwl

to NytOwl
Rogers CMTS' are Cisco and their something else (OMS?) are Motorola.

You can check yourself via MAC addressing in your modem logs.