Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

No-Tent termite services VS old fashioned tenting?

I have a termite problem, and I'm wondering about the efficacy of the "No-Tent" services, and what they involve as far as putting holes in walls etc...

I like the idea of not having to leave the house for two days while it's done, but obviously all the termites have to be eradicated. I worry about miscreants that would see a tented house, and know that the next day it's still going to be unoccupied, and take the opportunity to help themselves to stuff.

Damage is evident, though the full extent is uncertain...

Any opinions/infos?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

Depends on the type of construction used in the building.
Most termite damage starts at the bottom of walls and door frames and where framing meets the foundation because they come up from the ground into the building in most cases.

bugz

@151.190.0.x
reply to Raphion

I thought termites had to return to the ground on a regular basis, so the normal treatment was injecting poison into the ground. I never heard of tenting for termites.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
reply to PrntRhd

Depends on the types of termites infesting the home (and that should be determined before starting treatment).

Tenting works very well as a one-time treatment to eliminate drywood termites.

Subterranean termites are difficult to completely eliminate (some of the more effective products are no longer legal due to their longterm impact on soil and groundwater) and instead you will need an ongoing treatment program to handle them.

I was "lucky" to get drywood termites and got rid of them with tenting (vikane). I would choose the same treatment again if my home was ever attacked again.

For subterranean termites I would probably consider an orange oil based treatment but I have no experience with it.

Edit: wall cavity treatment would not have been useful in my case since the termites were munching primarily on the kitchen cabinets.

--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to bugz

(!) Almost every house around here is tented for termites. Mine had both a tenting AND underground poison.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Raphion

I've never seen a house tented in this area and yes we have a major subterranean termite problem. When asking questions like this it would really help if you stated the area you live. Otherwise this is just a lot of noise.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

I have a termite problem, and I'm wondering about the efficacy of the "No-Tent" services, and what they involve as far as putting holes in walls etc...

I like the idea of not having to leave the house for two days while it's done, but obviously all the termites have to be eradicated. I worry about miscreants that would see a tented house, and know that the next day it's still going to be unoccupied, and take the opportunity to help themselves to stuff.

Damage is evident, though the full extent is uncertain...

Any opinions/infos?

Be careful if you get it tented. Around here in Los Angeles, there are burglaries happening while your house is tented. We know 2 people who have been burglarized while this happened, whether it was a inside job by the Termite people or not.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Raphion

Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

I've never seen a house tented in this area and yes we have a major subterranean termite problem. When asking questions like this it would really help if you stated the area you live. Otherwise this is just a lot of noise.

Florida sorry.

House is part block and part woodframe, all of the roof is wood. Termites have infested a couple doors, and some wood boards that make up part of a flat roof. Not seeing significant damage down near ground levels. Foundation is slab.

Raphion

Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

Be careful if you get it tented. Around here in Los Angeles, there are burglaries happening while your house is tented. We know 2 people who have been burglarized while this happened, whether it was a inside job by the Termite people or not.

Definitely one of my primary concerns.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Don't forget about using a tented house as a base for a portable meth manufacturing operation.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to Raphion

Ok, so why can't you camp out there in a tent or RV or trailer or whatever while the house is under the tent?

TampaVoIP

join:2002-05-10
Tampa, FL
reply to Raphion

Difficult question. The no-tent services CAN work, but it requires getting access to the areas which are known to be infected. Bonus: The no-tent chemicals have a residual that will prevent against future termite infestations. Caveat: They can't treat inaccessible areas.

Fumigation (tenting) kills EVERYTHING. BUT has NO residual. Literally, the day they turn the keys back over to you, a drywood termite could fly back into your house and you're back to square one.

Basically, both solutions are problematic. If the damage is confined to a small area, no-tent is the way to go. If you've got a major problem, fumigation is unfortunately the only way.

/just went through having a condo building fumigated
//still not a fan of fumigation and highly poison gasses, but there aren't too many options.

Raphion

Samsara

Interesting, I hadn't known about the residue angle. Maybe I should have BOTH done. haha Tent now, and no-tent a few months down the road.

Termites

@optonline.net

My father used to put chlordane around the foundation of our house as a preventive measure against termites. Surprised he didn't kill us in the process.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Raphion

Yes..have had »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlordane put around this house. Not sure the damage to people but no termites.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dandelion:

Yes..have had »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlordane put around this house. Not sure the damage to people but no termites.

Testicular cancer