Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Dell Days of Deals is back

The Apple Store app definitely does suck, I'll give you that. I tried to use it to get in line to talk to somebody to help me buy an ipad case, but the thing kept constantly switching between "you're in the apple store, I will let you scan stuff or wait in queue" to "you're not in the apple store, here is the closest one". I would be terrified to use the "pay for stuff yourself" option, what if the thing decided partyway through the process that I was no longer in the apple store, and messed up the payment?

I don't know how the app determines you're in the Apple Store. Perhaps it looks for certain non-broadcast SSIDs or does some other out-of-standard wireless communication, perhaps it just relies on the AGPS. Whatever it does, it's super unreliable.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

I haven't used the scan and pay option yet. Not sure if I should trust it either.

I've made a couple of appointments with the app and I still find the "Welcome to the Apple Store. You have a Genius Bar appointment for 7:30PM. Would you like to check in?" notification when you walk in to the store kind of creepy.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

It would be a fantastic app if only it didn't get so easily confused over if it's in the store or not. I mean, look, I'm standing in the store next to a shelf of stuff without moving, my GPS seems to indicate that I'm in the store without moving, why does the app keep thinking I've left and re-entered the store?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to elwoodblues

For anyone who's been pining for the old SmartUPS 1500 deal, there is a Dell-branded similar unit on Business Days of Deals for $399:
»www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/···=4682798

I think the SmartUPS was going for a stellar $199 IIRC when on sale, but $399 for a unit like this is still a substantial saving. Though you could probably get a refurbished SmartUPS 1500 for less.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by Wolfie00:

For anyone who's been pining for the old SmartUPS 1500 deal, there is a Dell-branded similar unit on Business Days of Deals for $399:
»www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/···=4682798

I think the SmartUPS was going for a stellar $199 IIRC when on sale, but $399 for a unit like this is still a substantial saving. Though you could probably get a refurbished SmartUPS 1500 for less.

You can: »www.upsforless.ca/apcsua1500ref.aspx $289.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I had an email Friday night from Dell apologizing that my order was delayed. Still waiting for the Wifi extender.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I just got off the phone with Dell. No update on the Wifi extender so I cancelled the order.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by donoreo:

I just got off the phone with Dell. No update on the Wifi extender so I cancelled the order.

I actually got the Dlink 506L that I ordered from Dell last week (way longer than I expected and unless I was monitoring Dell's site, I would have had no clue it was coming)

Turns out that it works really well for my purposes, including testing the strength of the Bell supplied 2wire router / modem combo's wireless signal in my father's widow's house (signal strength is craptastic from the 2wire in the house )

NefCanuck

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I have to admit I enjoy going through Dell Small Business more, you can order Home equipment as well.

Just cancelled a Business Unit in 5 minutes and got the Alien Ware one instead. Dedicated sales rep, quote-based orders... and little upselling
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/