how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jonase

join:2010-12-15

DSL without phone outlet

Hello everyone,

I am considering switching from cable to dsl. I currently have the cable modem on our first floor (three storey townhouse). I have a cable outlet there, but no phone outlet.
What would Bell do in this situation? Would they insist I put the modem where there are outlets? Or will they run a new line?

Thanks,

J

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

Pretty sure they're only responsible for the line up to your demarc point. Anything inside the house is your responsibility.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to jonase

That install fee should include one outlet where you want it. They won't fish walls but they'll drill straight through and attach.

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to jonase

Unlike cable co., Bell consider in door wiring as customer's problem.

They will happily wire you indoor jacks for additional $$$ and sell you indoor wiring insurance for even more $$$$. You *could* DYI or pay someone else to do it.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

The second tech who comes from a company called telecon would run a line and install a jack for you. The Bell Guy is Only responsible to the Demarc AKA Nid Outside the home.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by morisato:

The second tech who comes from a company called telecon would run a line and install a jack for you. The Bell Guy is Only responsible to the Demarc AKA Nid Outside the home.

And sometimes the Bell guy doesn't even come to the house at all, like it was in my case. They just switched the line to the remote up the street, which was of course at default 3008/800, they didnt switch the profile to vdsl until late in the evening...

So that whole "condition the line" part of the install fee is garbage.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

Same here. The Bell guy never showed but the Telecon guy did and called Bell to change my profile. That was it. He said there's no reason to install a POTS splitter but he returned to finish his work when I complained.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Mike2009:

Same here. The Bell guy never showed but the Telecon guy did and called Bell to change my profile. That was it. He said there's no reason to install a POTS splitter but he returned to finish his work when I complained.

Heh, the telecon guy showed up at 9pm... I politely told him to fly a kite, and just asked for the pots splitter which I installed myself.

Lucky for me this was the Free Install promo last March, so it didn't tick me off as much as if I had to pay for "all that work".
--

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

Unfortunately I paid full price for the install.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jonase

So getting back to the dryloop fees...

How come some wholesalers are offering free dryloop? Are they just eating the fee? I find that hard to believe. Or is there some deal they are getting from Bell that not all wholesalers are getting?

Isn't it time for this dryloop fee to be challenged in front of the CRTC? It's bogus, Bell doesn't charge it to their own subs, never has.

They are now raking in the money from port access fee as well as capacity fees. There is no need for Bell to further rape wholesale customers with dryloop fees.

Cable incumbents somehow never charged it from day one of TPIA, so why is Bell doing it (I dont know about Telus).
--

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

I've too wondered about dry-loop fees since EBox stopped charging for them. Eating the cost doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, which points to a sweeter deal from Bhell.

Dryloop is one of the biggest holdups for DSL adoption. In this day and age a good percentage of folks don't have a landline or want a landline at all.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to jonase

Given that you are moving from Cable to DSL I wouldn't guess it would be 6Mb you are looking at. However, I do try to avoid assumptions for reasons we all can guess at

So the answer is 2 fold. Bell is only responsible to the demarc, you would have to install your own jack or hire a contractor. We are only able to pay for a jack install on home phone service, not DSL.

With that being said, if your connection is 10Mb or higher than, as already stated (Thanks morisato), there would be a second technician who would run the line into the home.

Thanks,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

jonase

join:2010-12-15

Thanks Keith (and everyone else). So basically I could switch and get the outlet on the first floor. I don't really want a dsl-modem in my kitchen, haha.