dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to wmcbrine

to wmcbrine

Re: Is the email Verizon gives with their FiOS service IMAP?

They aren't "quirks"... Google's IMAP is just a little "customized" for Gmail. Works fine in Thunderbird, better in Postbox.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

Yeah I'm not sure what "quirks" there are and have used imap on gmail for 10+ years...

Verizon is only POP and remain so for a long time. The simple solution is to create yourself a google or other ISP independent account that supports IMAP and just forward your verizon email to it.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

I'm not sure Verizon's email supports forwarding either; but, if not, then Gmail also works quite well as a POP client.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

It does support forwarding.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

...Works fine in Thunderbird...

Co-signed. GMail is great in Thunderbird.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to danclan

to danclan
said by danclan:

Yeah I'm not sure what "quirks" there are and have used imap on gmail for 10+ years...

(Maybe slightly dated:)

»weblog.timaltman.com/arc ··· entation

Search "gmail imap non standard" for much more.

I've had problems using it with Alpine (which is basically the reference implementation of IMAP). I had to change settings to suppress some of the error messages.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by wmcbrine See Profile
Search "gmail imap non standard" for much more.

I've had problems using it with Alpine (which is basically the reference implementation of IMAP). I had to change settings to suppress some of the error messages.
[/BQUOTE :

Yeah it seems there are still some issue with older clients - predominately MS Office 2003 and older.... I've never had any issues with office 2007 and Thunderbird ever ....seems most of the issue revolve around labeling these days....

tvdrew
join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC

tvdrew to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

They aren't "quirks"... Google's IMAP is just a little "customized" for Gmail. Works fine in Thunderbird, better in Postbox.

I think the biggest "quirk" is it's non-standard treatment of folders that results from its "labels" approach. While labels has its advantages, it doesn't play really well with straight IMAP clients.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Labels are what make Gmail... Gmail, that and its implementation of conversations. Given a choice, I'll take labels over "standard" IMAP any day--having something that works better is always preferred. Properly configured (meaning the way Google suggests), an email client works fine with Gmail's IMAP. Frankly though, the fact that Gmail has any IMAP support is something of a wonder--one of the few things I commend Google for.
NaydeesMom
join:2002-03-08
So Jersey

NaydeesMom to danclan

to danclan
The simple solution is to create yourself a google or other ISP independent account that supports IMAP and just forward your verizon email to it.

How do you REPLY with the correct Sender Info to an email that's been forwarded? Vz doesn't allow "identities".