spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bodah
@trihealth.com

Bodah

Anon

Wifi dropping

We have the zyxel modem/router and have had horrible wifi drops and poor range, especially my wife's iPad. Sitting in the same roomas the router, it will drop 10 to 15 times a night. I have tried changing the channel from 11 to 1, but that didn't really improve much. My wife is ready to trash the whole thing, and go back to Insight.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve the wifi?

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

1. Get a different wireless router to hang off the Zyxel.
2. Disable wireless on the Zyxel.
3. ????
4. PROFIT

Bodah
@trihealth.com

Bodah

Anon

I've considered that, but that leaves me double NATed. All of the configuration that I have done for my home security cams, servers, and VPN will be behind 2 routers. I wouldn't be able to access them from the outside world.

So, the Zyxel will have an IP of 208.102.233.XXX and hand out a IP 192.168.200.XXX to my router, and my router will hand out IPs of 192.168.1.XXX to all of the devices.

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to Bodah

Premium Member

to Bodah
It's a little bit of work but you can port-forward through two routers. I've got my Xbox 360 port-forwarded through the Westell and my Linksys router. Before I did this a while back there were some issues with online play depending on the game. NAT was reading either strict or moderate (can't remember which). After the port-forwarding the 360 reads open NAT and there are zero issues. I also have some ports for a couple apps on my computer forwarded as well.

It's worth the small hassle to be able to use a much better wireless router.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to Bodah

to Bodah
You can put the ZyXel in bridge mode if you either don't have IPTV or have a router which can do IGMP proxy.