SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5

96% Furnace PVC pipe question

Click for full size
So I now have a 96% Furnace, couple questions..

Do the pipes seem to close to each other? Also is there anyway to stop birds,etc from getting into the PVC pipes?

Thanks
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1. I think they are sufficiently separated. I was surprise to see that reducer on the output. They may have put that on to increase velocity to prevent mixing.

2. Yes. There are commercial choices. You can to it yourself by using a mesh such as is sometimes used as a gutter cover. That would keep birds and rodents out. I would have mesh balloon out from the pipe to minimize back-pressure. »www.truevalue.com/catalog/produc···Id=29641 looks interesting in that it is pre-formed. A radiator clamp could secure it in place. »www.truevalue.com/assets/product···3153.jpg

For the intake, I wonder if there is a filter in line already. It would not be nice to be sucking insects into your combustion chamber. A finer mesh would be in order to stop insects.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to SuperNet9

Owner's or installation manual should state what the separation distance should be. Without knowing what model furnace it has, it's just a guess but it doesn't jump out as being obviously too close.

My 92% condensing furnace came with an insert disc for the intake that acts as a screen. The holes were probably 3/8" or so in size.

You don't want to use any type of fine screen or otherwise narrow opening as it will freeze in the winter when the moisture in the exhaust gas condenses out after hitting the cold outside air.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to SuperNet9

»www.diamondventscreen.com/ is one example for termination screens. You don't want to restrict the free area too much for obvious reasons.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to SuperNet9

If yours are too close then I'm in really big trouble..

»/r0/download/1···4[1].JPG

My inlet/outlet is combined!

It seems the installer could have used just one 90 for your inlet instead of three.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by pike:

Depends on what the mfg specifies. For instance, this Rheem model says basically that the two pipes should be 3" apart horizontally and no more than 4" vertically. The intake should also be 4" from the wall and the exhaust extend 12". With a concentric vent, the 3" horizontally is essentially made due to the overall diameter of the "funnel", while the distance is determined by the size of the exposed vent.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

3 recommendations

reply to pike

said by pike:

»/r0/download/1···4[1].JPG

It seems the installer could have used just one 90 for your inlet instead of three.

Aren't you more concerned that your house fell over?

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to SuperNet9

Click for full size
Bayvent 200
I have the Bayvent 200 and I modified it a few years ago after chipmunks started using the the pipe for nut storage.

Burner area:

What I removed:

Modification to Bayvent 200, with cover removed:

--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by ArgMeMatey:

I have the Bayvent 200 and I modified it a few years ago after chipmunks started using the the pipe for nut storage.

You know that you aren't suppose to make popcorn on your furnace burners, right?

How were the chipmunks getting the nuts that far in? Where they crawling in behind the cover and down the intake?

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by cdru:

How were the chipmunks getting the nuts that far in? Where they crawling in behind the cover and down the intake?

I'd been in the basement and heard rustling at various times but could not figure out what it was. I was out mowing one day and happened to see a chipmunk scale the brick and go right under the Bayvent cap.

That prompted me to pull the pipe off the top of the furnace. Most of the seeds were in the horizontal section along the ceiling, and what was in the burner box I suspect just fell down, as there's little chance even a chipmunk could ascend three feet inside a PVC pipe. Glad I found the stash before one of them died in there; I had a couple that couldn't escape an outside PVC pipe and they smelled horrible.

No problems since I added the hardware cloth although I should probably check to see if it's rusted.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to pike

said by pike:

I think that they were increasing the vertical clearance to allow for snow pack. Around here they just poke them out the band board and it doesn't take much for the snow to cover the pipes.