Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OmagicQ

Re: Its a large download...must be pirated content!

said by OmagicQ:

I suspect this will start to be the case. Pretty soon they will be flagging people for downloading linux distributions as 'warez'

That would be pretty funny, especially since I download 80TB per month.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
Along those lines, how do they verify that what is being downloaded is actually the real thing.

For example, what if I created 300 txt files of popular music songs, had them named artist - song title . mp3, and made them about the right size.

But, in reality, they would not be what the file says they are. As I said, I would start with a text file, make it the right size, and rename it to .mp3.

If I was to do that, and host them, and people started to download them, would I get "flagged" as hosting "copyrighted material", when the files themselves was bogus?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by plencnerb:

Along those lines, how do they verify that what is being downloaded is actually the real thing.

For example, what if I created 300 txt files of popular music songs, had them named artist - song title . mp3, and made them about the right size.

But, in reality, they would not be what the file says they are. As I said, I would start with a text file, make it the right size, and rename it to .mp3.

If I was to do that, and host them, and people started to download them, would I get "flagged" as hosting "copyrighted material", when the files themselves was bogus?

--Brian

Possibly yes. if the hash happened to be close enough to the database I bet the automatic system would fire off a DMCA notice to your ISP.

the DMCA has zero human oversight. Which is why false positives happen. NASA had part of a news conference on Livestream cut off once. They showed video of the curiosity landing and that triggered an automatic copyright system(because some news source also had that same video.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Hope Dreier

@verizon.net
reply to plencnerb
Simply, yes.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kearnstd
I remember a story where an original video was uploaded to YouTube. That video was later played by NBC Nightly News IIRC for some segment. A DMCA takedown was done on the original video and they never got permission to air the video anyways.

Seriously, it's out of control.