spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

mlcarson

OTA violations

Here's why it's hard to take the whole DMCA thing seriously. When shows like House and Grimm are broadcast OTA and are readily available to record, why is it so wrong to transfer one of these recordings from one location to another for personal viewing? This used to be considered fair use.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

said by mlcarson:

Here's why it's hard to take the whole DMCA thing seriously. When shows like House and Grimm are broadcast OTA and are readily available to record, why is it so wrong to transfer one of these recordings from one location to another for personal viewing? This used to be considered fair use.

Im legally allowed to do that, If i capture it myself and move it to another device. Like when my DVR records the show and i watch it on my cellphone at work. I paid for that content to be saved at home so i can use it on MY other devices.

phxmark
What Country Are We Living In?
join:2000-12-27
Glendale, AZ

phxmark to mlcarson

to mlcarson
Fair use has been dead for along time. Hollywood does not like time shifting. Look at how they are trying to kill off the Hopper and other DVR systems.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

said by phxmark:

Fair use has been dead for along time. Hollywood does not like time shifting. Look at how they are trying to kill off the Hopper and other DVR systems.

this right here.

personally this is saddening...these people are destroying and butchering the Internet...mark my words in the next 20 years..the internet we knew..the free and open internet will be dead...bank on it...

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

sad thing is the supreme court ruled vcrs are legal. Whether or not they will classify dvrs as vcrs or the media will challange dvrs next is another question. Also what will happen when people start storing shows "in the cloud"?