RandalIT
FTTB

join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mactalla

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Telus

The one that is being used right now is the Zyxel VSG1432. The one from Teksavvy comes with the stock firmware from the vendor so it is one click away from being bridged. As far as I have seen the modem only version is only about $10 cheaper if you can find it.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to RandalIT
said by RandalIT:

Hi Marc

I know it is available from Telus, did the pricing not come down from Telus yet?

i'll try to poke around for it. I'll add it if I find it.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB
Thanks Marc

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc
Marc, any chance you guys can do an install promotion on west DSL or is that something you were only able to negotiate with Bell?

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to TSI Marc
Any insight on the 50mbps service?

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB
+1

Also when will the new rates take effect? Will it be for April?

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
Also +1

I'm waiting to switch back if/when TSI offers the 50Mbps DSL.

WoodenhHead

join:2006-11-19
Kelowna, BC
reply to TSI Marc
Thanks for all your hard work, Marc.

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Marc
Is there any more information on the 50Mb tier?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I did hear back. We do have access to the 50 meg tier. The rates are not "final" so I'll see what I can do.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB
Hi Marc

Thanks for the update, look forward to seeing what the rates are.

Randal

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to RandalIT
What's all this talk of 50 Mbps on Telus? I don't see that package on telus.com.
--
db

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

It is on there just not advertised, you have to qualify for it then it is selectable.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to TSI Marc
Waiting to hear about the 50mbps

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
Considering how expensive the cable 50 Mbps plan is, I doubt its worth waiting to hear about.

$85 for 50 Mbps/300 GB when you can get 400 GB through Telus or Shaw for less.

Mixam

@stsn.com
reply to TSI Marc
Hey Marc,

Already posted in the Shaw thread, but just in case it doesn't become available soon, thought I'd ask my questions here too.

ADSL Modems that I have:
-Dlink DVA-G3810BN/TL
-3Com HomeConnect (not sure on model number Telus sticker covers it up, but it's a very old model ~2001)
-Dlink DSL-300G

Would any of the modems I have work with your service? My postal code is T5B 2K7, in Edmonton, how much would the dry loop cost per month? What would the install cost be for the service and the dry loop?

Thanks!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I did hear back. We do have access to the 50 meg tier. The rates are not "final" so I'll see what I can do.

So, I had a look and it doesn't look very good for the 50mbit. The rate is the interim one and at that speed.. I'd be in the $85/mth for 300 gig... thinking it's not worth even listing. maybe once the rate is revised to be more in line with the others... it might make more sense then.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Thanks for the update Marc, I just checked Telus' website and they are charging $80/month for the 50Mb package, is there a date for the final rate revision? If we still wanted to order it would it be available and just not advertised? Reason I ask is I really want the extra upload and to do the same with MLPPP will be about $200.

Randal

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
said by RandalIT:

Thanks for the update Marc, I just checked Telus' website and they are charging $80/month for the 50Mb package, is there a date for the final rate revision? If we still wanted to order it would it be available and just not advertised? Reason I ask is I really want the extra upload and to do the same with MLPPP will be about $200.

Randal

right now I'm thinking it would be:

50 mbps
300 Gigs - $84.99
Unlimited - $99.99

if you think it's worth throwing up there.. I can do that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to Mixam
Hi Mixam,

Happy to see you are interested in our DSL service.

To answer your questions, any DSL modems will work with our service as long as that modem is not locked to another service provider (meaning that it is purchased and not a previous rental from another provider).

For the DRY-LOOP fee, the Edmonton area qualifies as band rate A, which is $7,04. If you want, you can post in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct with your full address and we can qualify you to ensure service is available and up to what speeds you qualify for.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

right now I'm thinking it would be:

50 mbps
300 Gigs - $84.99
Unlimited - $99.99

if you think it's worth throwing up there.. I can do that.

While it would be nice to have something a little better price-wise, I'd still switch back based on the availability of this package.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
k. yeah. once/if new rates come in that are lower.. i'll adjust the retail accordingly over time...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

RandalIT
FTTB

Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Marc
Hi Marc

Yep if you can put it up that would be great, hopefully the price will drop but if not that is ok too.

Thanks

Randal

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Mixam
Just to add to TSI-Jonathan's politically correct answer, you can in fact unlock some modems by flashing a generic firmware onto them. Not all modems mind you, but some. I have used Thomson ST516v6 modems on Teksavvy's network by flashing them from recovery mode.

I'm sure this is beyond the scope of TSI's support however, so don't expect sympathy from them if you try flashing a modem and aren't successful.
--
db

Westerner

@netbistro.com
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

k. yeah. once/if new rates come in that are lower.. i'll adjust the retail accordingly over time...

any speculation as to what the new rate might be?
(based on how the other rates lowered).

*eagerly awaiting the new pricing.

I may have to settle for 25Mbps at the moment...

Thanks Marc, and cheers!

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to TSI Marc
Can you come up with more cap options? I would only be using 700gb a month. Just a small request.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to TSI Marc
Any reason why the 50mb package rates weren't given at the same time as the others? Is it because it's not officially available yet? I'd also be interested in the business rates as well.

Questions:

Do the 15/25/50 packages have the 10mb upload speed?

How do I tell what area Vancouver West is in for a dry loop fee?

CR123

join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC
reply to Mixam
said by Mixam :

ADSL Modems that I have:
-Dlink DVA-G3810BN/TL
-3Com HomeConnect (not sure on model number Telus sticker covers it up, but it's a very old model ~2001)
-Dlink DSL-300G

DVA would work up to 15Mbps
3Com and 300G would work up to 6Mbps
None of the above would work for 25 or 50.
--
- The content of this post is my opinion, and does not reflect the opinions of my employer. -

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1
reply to WhosTheBosch
said by WhosTheBosch:

Do the 15/25/50 packages have the 10mb upload speed?

15 has a 1mb upload (pathetic)
25 has a 2.5mb upload (sad)
only 50 has a 10mb upload.

This is one area that Bell appears to have done a better job than Telus. Ideally I would want a 15/5 profile, or failing that, a 25/5. It seems silly to have to bump to 50mb just for a reasonable up/down ratio. Too bad they didn't keep the 6/1 ratio when introducing the newer speeds.

j0ly

join:2007-03-22
Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Marc
Does this now work for GPON users as well? I have Telus's 50mb GPON service and their TV service.

Thanks