join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One to AnonPerson

MVM

to AnonPerson

Re: Oh boy...

said by AnonPerson:

Do these firms get paid based on the quantity of people they "catch"/entrap?

A conspiracy theorist would point out that with the 6 strikes only generating letters and slow downs, the real money to be made here is actually in the false claims. Few will pay to protest being caught downloading something they know is a violation, but nearly EVERYONE who gets a false claim will pay $35 to prove they did nothing wrong. And it is my understanding that you are out the money no matter what the final ruling.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

Exactly. It's an inherently flawed yet genius system. Throw around an extreme number of letters/notices, whether real or fake. Then sit back and enjoy the money that comes rolling in.

Kai
@teksavvy.com

Kai

Anon

I call that... A "Pyramid Lawsuit"!

1 uploader spreads to several, which spreads to more and more... And then they use it as a means to launch charges or lawsuits of the likes to funnel money to themselves.

Hope Dreyer
@verizon.net

Hope Dreyer to Camelot One

Anon

to Camelot One
Actually you get the $35 back, if they find you not guilty... Another reason for them to not find you not guilty.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by Hope Dreyer :

Actually you get the $35 back, if they find you not guilty...

Please name your source, I have not been able to find anything stating that.

Hope Dreier
@verizon.net

Hope Dreier

Anon

"Finally, Lesser explained to Ars that consumers will have to pay $35 to the CAS to initiate a review procedure, which will be refunded if the consumer wins the review."

In »arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· cost-35/

As I said the fact that they, like the Spanish Inquisition, get to keep your money if they find you guilty indicates to me that they are unlikely to be finding to many people innocent.