page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

4 edits

[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

Please note that these are not yet available at this time. We can not take orders with these rates yet. This post is for discussion purposes only and will only be discussed here. Our associates will not be able to answer inquiries about these rates or packages.

Hey Gang,

Here's what we're looking at for Cogeco territory in Ontario.

6 mbps
75 Gigs - $24.95
300 Gigs - $32.95
Unlimited - $43.95

10 mbps
150 Gigs - $34.95
300 Gigs - $42.95
Unlimited - $57.95

20 mbps
150 Gigs - $39.95
300 Gigs - $49.95
Unlimited - $79.95

30 mbps
150 Gigs - $62.95
300 Gigs - $69.95
Unlimited - $99.95

60 mbps
150 Gigs - $92.95
300 Gigs - $116.95
Unlimited - $191.95

On plans that have usage caps - unlimited between 2am and 8am

existing users get migrated according to this:

3meg/sec speed becomes 6meg/sec
7meg/sec speed becomes 10meg/sec
14meg/sec speed becomes 20meg/sec
16meg/sec speed becomes 30meg/sec

switching to lower tiers or speeds costs $5 to the incumbent.. so it's easy to change..

--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2

Glad you kept the Unlimited option but 60 mbps pricing looks scary..

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

I hope this isn't an insight to what Rogers pricing will go to.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by AOD:

I hope this isn't an insight to what Rogers pricing will go to.

No. not at all.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Guru

said by Guru:

Yeah, kinda trying to make a point of how stupid the rates are.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Guru

to hammer the point home.. at $2556 per 100mbit - a 60mbit line can cost us up to $1533.60/mth
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to TSI Marc

That's pretty shitty Marc. Feel bad for you guys. :\

CRTC seriously got the numbers wrong, when the incumbent's pricing is cheaper than the TPIA's pricing on the incumbent's network.

So disgusted with the CRTC.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to TSI Marc

so why are u offering it for a mere 191? I mean if i was in a cogeco territory and wanted to download 24/7 that price entitles me to do so.. and cost you alot of money
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

I expect that not everybody would do that.

I've tried to be as realistic as possible... I dont have the best usage data for those speeds. I have the 60meg speed at my house and I can't even get top speed all the time even if I wanted to...

I've tried being as reasonable as possible. I didn't want to be seen to be crying wolf or anything like that. This is my best guess as to what we might logically price this stuff out at. Frankly, you'd be better off going with Cogeco.. (edit: no really, please go with cogeco if you want 300gig on a 60meg line)
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to resa1983

I tried making the 150gig prices as attractive as possible.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Frankly, you'd be better off going with Cogeco.. (edit: no really, please go with cogeco if you want 300gig on a 60meg line)

+1 or try to get a business line from cogeco.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc

Yikes that is some scary shit...

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Looks like I'm heading back to DSL, when will these prices take effect?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by Gruesome:

Looks like I'm heading back to DSL, when will these prices take effect?

That's a good question. I dont know yet. I've just focused on the prices.

On the DSL front, we'll have some pretty good options there.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Can we expect a similar scary story with Vidéotron? (tho their cost per 100 Mbits has increased by a bit over 10%, but nowhere as near to Cogeco levels).

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks Marc, I guess Cogeco is just going to be pain for you guys, only someone who had no options will stay there

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Hey Gang,

Here's what we're looking at for Cogeco territory in Ontario.

20 mbps
150 Gigs - $49.95
300 Gigs - $54.95
Unlimited - $79.95

said by TSI Marc:

Here's what we're looking at for Telus territory out west.
15 mbps
300 Gigs - $39.99
Unlimited - $47.99

25 mbps
300 Gigs - $44.99
Unlimited -$54.99

By way of comparing, here in MB with MTS I get 20Mbs/2Mbs DSL for $60.00/mth unlimited

It really look that when I am back in Eastern Ontario, with only legacy DSL or Cogeco for infrastructure, it's going to cost a lot more. Go figure, going from sparsely populated to a much higher pop density only to end up paying more for less.

Yep, competition is alive and well (no barb at TS here as they have to use existing infrastructure).

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to RMerlin

said by RMerlin:

Can we expect a similar scary story with Vidéotron? (tho their cost per 100 Mbits has increased by a bit over 10%, but nowhere as near to Cogeco levels).

Videotron, I'm still working on. The rate is way high though. It's $2031, quite a bit less than the $2556 from Cogeco but still very high.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mattvmotas
Premium
join:2010-09-04
Amherstburg, ON
reply to TSI Marc

So where does that put those of us that just signed up for 14 mpbs?
--
Matt

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

3 becomes 6
7 becomes 10
14 becomes 20
16 becomes 30

switching to lower tiers or speeds is like $5 to the incumbent.. so it's easy to change..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Gruesome

said by Gruesome:

Thanks Marc, I guess Cogeco is just going to be pain for you guys, only someone who had no options will stay there

hum. possibly. The 150gig rates aren't that bad for those who dont use that much. Generally speaking though, you're right, those who only have access to legacy 6meg DSL.. these options may be their only alternative in many cases.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Those prices really bite. I got Cogeco on the beta from TSI last month to provide me redundancy in case my DSL goes down, and to get some more upstream for those times I really need it.

I guess I'll wait for the DSL pricing to be announced, then make some decisions of my own. I sure am glad I cancelled the upgrade to 30 I had ordered.

phreshive

join:2013-02-20
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Where do the new rates leave those of us who recently signed up? I've been a Videotron client for over 8 years and signed up to the $34.95 20Mbps package with $25 max overage for a March 11th changeover.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Bugblndr

said by Bugblndr:

Those prices really bite. I got Cogeco on the beta from TSI last month to provide me redundancy in case my DSL goes down, and to get some more upstream for those times I really need it.

I guess I'll wait for the DSL pricing to be announced, then make some decisions of my own.

Really sorry dude. I totally expected the CRTC decision to be better.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

When will there be an online tool to check our Cogeco usage soon? You guys will lose your shirts if you don't get something active quickly.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I think you could improve significantly on those prices by only running the meter during prime/peak times, or not running the meter during the lowest traffic times (eg. 12 midnight to 12 noon, or whatever).

It doesn't cost you anything (other than UBB style profits) to allow unlimited transfers during off-peak times. By offering this, you might even get enough heavy users to shift their traffic patterns to off-peak, thereby saving you money on capacity costs.

Cheers

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by mlord:

said by TSI Marc:

I think you could improve significantly on those prices by only running the meter during prime/peak times, or not running the meter during the lowest traffic times (eg. 12 midnight to 12 noon, or whatever).

It doesn't cost you anything (other than UBB style profits) to allow unlimited transfers during off-peak times. By offering this, you might even get enough heavy users to shift their traffic patterns to off-peak, thereby saving you money on capacity costs.

Cheers

unlimited between 2am and 8am will be for all packages everywhere. If it turns out that many use it and that I'm able to lower rates.. I'll be happy to do that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guru

said by Guru:

That's the same price Cogeco charges for an unlimited 60Mbit business account with 10 IP addresses or something like that. This isn't at all competitive, but then again Cogeco's got Teksavvy by the balls on this.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to TSI Marc

Wow your right about the 60meg/300gig cogeco is literally offering the same package for 17 dollars less thats Not right.. Cause i know you guys are not trying to make more than the incumbent.. wow. you must pay more than they charge a retail customer for it That should be good grounds for a r&v of cogeco rates no?
Even after bundle discounts they are still 7 cheaper.. thats wrong.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Trenton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Just one question Marc, will you be looking at going to an unlimited amount for overage charge or will you present one of $25 stand?