TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to Gruesome

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

said by Gruesome:

Thanks Marc, I guess Cogeco is just going to be pain for you guys, only someone who had no options will stay there

hum. possibly. The 150gig rates aren't that bad for those who dont use that much. Generally speaking though, you're right, those who only have access to legacy 6meg DSL.. these options may be their only alternative in many cases.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Those prices really bite. I got Cogeco on the beta from TSI last month to provide me redundancy in case my DSL goes down, and to get some more upstream for those times I really need it.

I guess I'll wait for the DSL pricing to be announced, then make some decisions of my own. I sure am glad I cancelled the upgrade to 30 I had ordered.

phreshive

join:2013-02-20
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Where do the new rates leave those of us who recently signed up? I've been a Videotron client for over 8 years and signed up to the $34.95 20Mbps package with $25 max overage for a March 11th changeover.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Bugblndr

said by Bugblndr:

Those prices really bite. I got Cogeco on the beta from TSI last month to provide me redundancy in case my DSL goes down, and to get some more upstream for those times I really need it.

I guess I'll wait for the DSL pricing to be announced, then make some decisions of my own.

Really sorry dude. I totally expected the CRTC decision to be better.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON

When will there be an online tool to check our Cogeco usage soon? You guys will lose your shirts if you don't get something active quickly.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I tried making the 150gig prices as attractive as possible.

I think you could improve significantly on those prices by only running the meter during prime/peak times, or not running the meter during the lowest traffic times (eg. 12 midnight to 12 noon, or whatever).

It doesn't cost you anything (other than UBB style profits) to allow unlimited transfers during off-peak times. By offering this, you might even get enough heavy users to shift their traffic patterns to off-peak, thereby saving you money on capacity costs.

Cheers

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by mlord:

said by TSI Marc:

I tried making the 150gig prices as attractive as possible.

I think you could improve significantly on those prices by only running the meter during prime/peak times, or not running the meter during the lowest traffic times (eg. 12 midnight to 12 noon, or whatever).

It doesn't cost you anything (other than UBB style profits) to allow unlimited transfers during off-peak times. By offering this, you might even get enough heavy users to shift their traffic patterns to off-peak, thereby saving you money on capacity costs.

Cheers

unlimited between 2am and 8am will be for all packages everywhere. If it turns out that many use it and that I'm able to lower rates.. I'll be happy to do that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guru

said by Guru:

Glad you kept the Unlimited option but 60 mbps pricing looks scary..

That's the same price Cogeco charges for an unlimited 60Mbit business account with 10 IP addresses or something like that. This isn't at all competitive, but then again Cogeco's got Teksavvy by the balls on this.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to TSI Marc

Wow your right about the 60meg/300gig cogeco is literally offering the same package for 17 dollars less thats Not right.. Cause i know you guys are not trying to make more than the incumbent.. wow. you must pay more than they charge a retail customer for it That should be good grounds for a r&v of cogeco rates no?
Even after bundle discounts they are still 7 cheaper.. thats wrong.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Trenton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Just one question Marc, will you be looking at going to an unlimited amount for overage charge or will you present one of $25 stand?

cbp

join:2005-11-24
Montreal, QC
reply to phreshive

said by phreshive:

Where do the new rates leave those of us who recently signed up? I've been a Videotron client for over 8 years and signed up to the $34.95 20Mbps package with $25 max overage for a March 11th changeover.

Bump.
I also signed up end of January for the 30mbps.
What will be our options if prices go out of control like Cogeco's?
Do we get a free downgrade if we want, or are we stuck on the 30mbps?
For $85 move downgrade fee, I might as well buy a DSL modem and move over to Bhell lines.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Toastertech

said by Toastertech:

Just one question Marc, will you be looking at going to an unlimited amount for overage charge or will you present one of $25 stand?

That's a good question. I haven't thought about that yet.

I really want to do the two month rolling average thing. I really haven't looked at the details yet though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc See Profile
unlimited between 2am and 8am will be for all packages everywhere. If it turns out that many use it and that I'm able to lower rates.. I'll be happy to do that.

That makes it a lot easier to take. It would really be nice if you had lower bandwidth plans for the 20 and 30 speed tiers. Most of my usages can easily be after hours as it is on the DSL plans.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by Bugblndr:

said by TSI Marc See Profile

That makes it a lot easier to take. It would really be nice if you had lower bandwidth plans for the 20 and 30 speed tiers. Most of my usages can easily be after hours as it is on the DSL plans.

I looked at that but it made everything else that much uglier.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Toastertech

said by Toastertech:

I really doubt it will be an unlimited amount though. I'd rather eat the loss than do that to you guys.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

jfn0106

join:2012-09-16

said by TSI Marc:

I really doubt it will be an unlimited amount though. I'd rather eat the loss than do that to you guys.

And this approach to doing business...is why I want to do business with you.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by jfn0106:

said by TSI Marc:

And this approach to doing business...is why I want to do business with you.

Thanks!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

unlimited between 2am and 8am will be for all packages everywhere.

That's a HUGE improvement! You might want to edit your post up top again and add html BOLD tags around that line.

But only 2am to 8am? Couldn't that be a bit wider, enough so people could fire up some time-shifted transfers before heading to work at 9am ?

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to TSI Marc

Yikes...!!!

Garneac

join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

This is probably a very stupid question, but these new cable rates—would they apply to someone like me, who is in Brampton? Or is it just for people who are in an area where Cogeco is, or...?

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Garneac:

Or is it just for people who are in an area where Cogeco is, or...?

Only where cogeco is.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
reply to Garneac

These prices only apply to Cogeco serviceable areas.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to Garneac

said by Garneac:

This is probably a very stupid question, but these new cable rates—would they apply to someone like me, who is in Brampton? Or is it just for people who are in an area where Cogeco is, or...?

They apply only if you live in a Cogeco Served Area..
These DO NOT apply to Rogers served areas.

Garneac

Brampton, ON
reply to RizzleQ

Okay, cool. Thanks. =)
So the new rates for Rogers cable haven't been posted, then, right? (Then again, me being me, I could've have easily overlooked them.)

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

Correct.

Garneac

Brampton, ON

Awesome.
Thanks for the help, everyone.
I'll go back to lurking now.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to TSI Marc

Hmmm

30 mbps
150 Gigs - $64.95
300 Gigs - $69.95 --- $10 higher then what I pay Start.ca right now
Unlimited - $99.95

But the unlimited from 2am to 8am makes it kinda worth it.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

said by rogersmogers :

You can bet dollars to donuts that Start is going to be making their own price adjustment announcement in the very near future.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rogersmogers

said by rogersmogers :

Hmmm

30 mbps
150 Gigs - $64.95
Unlimited - $99.95

But the unlimited from 2am to 8am makes it kinda worth it.

The key is right now, I'd expect their rates to change soon too. I'm waiting for everyone to put out all their rates before making changes (if any).

KnockKnock

join:2010-12-06
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Wow. I expected prices to go up, but this much? Tough pill to swallow. If I stayed with what I have now, it would be $20 more a month... a 40% increase in price.

Is there any way I can check what my normal usage is in a month? In order for this to be affordable for me, I'm probably going to have to go down to 150gb... and down grade my speed by 10mbps, which I just upgraded during the 'beta' last month.

And it'll cost me $5 to make those changes?

And was my purchase of a DOCSIS 3 modem for naught now? Wouldn't I have been able to get 20mbps fine on my DOCSIS 2 modem? Right now I'm feeling like I wasted a lot of money.