how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rootazoid

join:2013-03-04
Holyoke, MA

1 edit

[Speed] after speed "upgrade", Skype drops, need HELP!

In Holyoke, MA, on an ARRIS TG862G, my HSI Tier is called "Performance", I'm told 15-20 DL, 2-4 UL. Now my upload speed is now around .4 to .8 Mbps after after Saturday's firmware update. You read that right, not 4 to 8, point 4 to point 8. This is using both the Xfinity test and Speedtest.net between here and the CC Boston server.

Results running Firefox 12 with a cleared cache and history:
»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···0122.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2549686134.png

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.4.63A

All last year 2012 when I was testing regularly my upload speed was around 3.75 Mbps.
The download speeds haven't changed much with this "upgrade", dropping just a bit from around being around 25.5 to 22.5

These numbers don't really matter to me much, but I suspect the very slow new upload speed may be the cause of my Skype suddenly not working as of this new firmware. I can get onto a Skype call but then I hear people saying I'm choppy and then the call drops.

The only other attached hardware to this ARRIS other than my desktop is some kind of DirecTV mini-box so my DTV system can talk to the net. But this was there all through last year when the speeds were better and Skype worked.

The only firewall/security I run is the built-in Win 7 firewall and MS Security Essentials.

I've been on the phone with normal CC tech support on this, an hour Saturday and an hour this morning after the suggested pinhole reset procedure. "All looks good with your modem" and "we can send out a tech for a $ervice charge".

Btw, nothing else on my Win7 system has changed since the upgrade (that I know of) and I haven't tried any Network Control Panel actions.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Re: [Speed] after speed "upgrade", Skype drops, need H

Have you tried rebooting your modem ? WHat are your signal levels ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to rootazoid

remove your IP.

do you live near Wyckoff country club? if so you arent the only one experiencing problems.
--
I'm better than you!

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to ExoticFish

At first I had to power off the PC AND modem. I went the extra step of pulling the battery. After a long time on a tech call they finally told me to do the power-off-pin-reset just on the modem. That, and a pc restart didn't help. I don't know how to test signal levels.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to gar187er

Aha! Well Wyckoff is about a mile west.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to rootazoid

Pro tip. Remove your IP address.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to rootazoid

reason i asked is that there is only one node in your area with a bad upstream signal to noise issue. and its right across the street in what seems like a development of townhouses....

a mile away though, didnt see any outstanding issues.
--
I'm better than you!

ComcastVic
Comcast Vic
Premium,VIP
join:2013-01-16
Philadelphia, PA
reply to rootazoid

rootazoid- I will help you check to see what the configuration and signals look like for your connection. Please see your private messages. Thanks

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

When this speed upgrade/firmware update for the DPC3008 came around I had similar issues.

The upload was so low that it was killing my downloads and it was even 40 kbps at times. I contacted live chat and they fixed it within 4 minutes. Not sure what they did but I didn't go offline when they did it. They asked me to do a couple speedtests and looked at my modem signals. Then they did their little "Check your connection" thingy and I was done lol.

Not sure if it's the same issue as yours though lol.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to rootazoid

said by rootazoid:

Results running Firefox 12 with a cleared cache and history:

Out of curiosity, why are you only running Firefox 12? The current version is 19. The only reason to be running 12 is if you are using Windows 2000.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

Every Firefox update breaks one or more extensions I rely on. Yes you can force compatibility via one method or another, and then wonder later what's happening under the hood, but after 12 I ceased to have a compelling reason. With later versions too, they seem to want to force auto-update more and more.

As for Windows 2000, I don't think the late April 2012 release for Fox 12 is parallel. Btw my car is a 2003 and it seems to still handle everything I throw at it.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

But, there are also potential security issues with FF12, since it's no longer updated. The Win2K mention was because, starting with FF13, they used a newer MS compiler that no longer supported Win2K.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

1 edit
reply to rootazoid

The slow speeds and Skype continue to be a problem. Using the Flash speed test right here in Tools shows an even slower result.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to rootazoid

your car isn't a target for viruses like your super out of date browser is.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to rootazoid

2nd one of the day using the Flash test here:

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

You have yet to post your signal levels...

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

as i said back on the 4th when you asked, "I don't know how to test signal levels." is there something here in Tools?

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

Go to »192.168.100.1 in your browser.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to rootazoid

You don't test anything. You pull them up on your modem page. Should be 192.168.100.1
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to andyross

Click for full size
said by andyross:

Go to »192.168.100.1 in your browser.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Signal looks fine. Power levels are approaching +10 where you'd start to worry, but unless they are swinging a lot you should be ok.

Have you called to ask for your upstream SNR?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

said by pflog:

Have you called to ask for your upstream SNR?

Thanks, just called them. They say upstream SNR = 38.3 and downstream SNR = 37.9

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

Those look good. That's one of the highest uSNR's I've seen on here BTW
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by pflog:

Those look good. That's one of the highest uSNR's I've seen on here BTW

What are the odds that the rep just *made it up* ?? Wouldn't be the first time eh'...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by EG:

What are the odds that the rep just *made it up* ?? Wouldn't be the first time eh'...

LOL true
--

ComcastVic
Comcast Vic
Premium,VIP
join:2013-01-16
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

Thanks for your patience with this speed issue, our engineers are look into the problem. As you can see here the signals are all good so for the moment we will investigate the cause of the issue. -ComcastVic

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

It'd be nice if Comcast could have a user-accessible trouble-shooting page with info like that.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA
reply to ComcastVic

said by ComcastVic:

we will investigate the cause of the issue. -ComcastVic

Thanks, that's good to know Vic. Meanwhile, I just did another test here:

Still no good.

Also for some who care, I did the test with Firefox 19.02, the latest non-beta. I finally gave in and upgraded from 12 only because 12 started having problems with simple font rendering. And p.s. only one extension, "Copy URL+", wasn't auto-magically working., fixed that 'tho.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

Out of curiosity, try the Visualware quality test.

Java is required. If you have it disabled, you can enable it in FF from Tools/Add-Ons/Plugins tab. ENABLE "Java (TM) Platform SE x Uyy". When done, you can disable it again (a good idea given all the zero-day exploits.)
Go to »myspeed.visualware.com
Click on North America
Find the yellow pushpin closest to you (hover mouse over it to see location). Dulles, VA may be best for East coast.
After the regular speed test loads (blue/red), click the Quality link in a box near the upper right.
The quality test is yellow/green.
Run the test.
When done, it will show another small box with error counts for retransmits and other issues.

rootazoid

Holyoke, MA

said by andyross:

Java is required.

Thanks but Java's not installed, not wanted.