join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to elwoodblues

Re: First Target stores set to open March 5

said by elwoodblues:

Apple Store, bfd, everyone sells Apple product for the same price. It will just give Apple more outlets to sell their overpriced gadgets.

people are willing to overpay for gadgets if the quality is higher. You're going to have a hard time finding an all-metal laptop that is not branded Apple for under $1,000 (MacBook Air is $999). I've seen them (Asus I believe) for $1,099.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
I like the XPS 13 from Dell, aluminium and carbon fibre.
But Dells retail is out of whack.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I wonder if Target will have a restaurant? I used to eat at the Zellers restaurant a bunch. They had decent club sandwiches which were on sale once a week.

Most of the American locations have a small snacks counter, with a Pizza Hut Express or something. Nothing to get excited about, even if they do have them here (which they might not).

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

said by Gone:

Fergus may as well be Guelph, so they're getting two of the first three stores to open.

Not really. I do wonder why they choose to do Fergus first rather than some larger cities though. Guelph is apparently going to be a training store and see how they should fine tune things.

My new theory - it has their Canadian crime lab

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=NleXS2d53Is

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to corster
said by corster:

Most of the American locations have a small snacks counter, with a Pizza Hut Express or something. Nothing to get excited about, even if they do have them here (which they might not).

The one on Delaware in Buffalo has some seats to sit at, but it's more like a food court in a mall than the actual sit-down-with-menus restaurants you used to find in Zellers and K-Mart.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I like the XPS 13 from Dell, aluminium and carbon fibre.
But Dells retail is out of whack.

I don't believe the specs or price is much better than Apple.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to donoreo
It's also a question of unibody. My friend showed me her Asus ultrabook the other day that was pretty nice; similar in price to the mac air but higher spec. Not sure about how the weight is comparable. It was all metal, but the metal felt thinner than the mac air, and it wasn't unibody, so there was flex at the joints. In other words, the build quality wasn't nearly as good as the mac air.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by corster:

The one on Delaware in Buffalo has some seats to sit at, but it's more like a food court in a mall than the actual sit-down-with-menus restaurants you used to find in Zellers and K-Mart.

I think the old "sit down resturaunt" idea in department stores is slowly losing its appeal--which is why you BARELY see it, if at all anymore. That and "sit downs" no longer connecting to mall/retail space at all -- just not profitable anymore.

Its more profitable and economical to let Fast Food operators (McD's in Walmart) take care of it instead of operating your own place if your going to do it.

I think the Target in Devonshire Mall is going to open next week (13th). In February they already had mall signage up and were putting in last minute touches.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to donoreo
Just read in the Star, some woman drove 6hrs from Petawawa to go to the opening in Milton.

Don't these people have a life?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to neochu
I used to love going to the huge restaurant in Eatons in Fairview Pointe-Claire. When The Bay moved across the mall to take the former Eatons space, they got rid of the restaurant.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Simpsons (now the Bay) on Queen St had a big one too.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Just read in the Star, some woman drove 6hrs from Petawawa to go to the opening in Milton.

Don't these people have a life?

Another woman cut class and is going to be in nursing so.....

Short answer: No.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
last year when people were jumping for joy that target is in canada, they said the canadian prices will still be higher than those in the US.
what's the big deal then.....what is target bringing us that we don't already have?

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

As did the Yorkdale location - I'm too young for Simpsons, but I can definitely remember eating at The Bay's Yorkdale restaurant - which is now the Women's shoe department if I recall correctly.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by corster:

said by elwoodblues:

As did the Yorkdale location - I'm too young for Simpsons, but I can definitely remember eating at The Bay's Yorkdale restaurant - which is now the Women's shoe department if I recall correctly.

Yes it is.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I used to love going to the huge restaurant in Eatons in Fairview Pointe-Claire. When The Bay moved across the mall to take the former Eatons space, they got rid of the restaurant.

fairview was built with an eatons and a simpsons. eatons is now sears and simpsons is now the bay. simpsons had a huge glass restaurant on the back called cafe vendome. the part of the building is still there but its windows are blacked out now. Eatons had a restaurant on the second floor overlooking the mall.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to donoreo
Maybe The Bay had a restaurant, then? I remember going to the restaurant where the part of the bay that faces st-johns is, on the mall's second floor (but you enter the outside from the ground floor). After the restaurant I think they put an H&R block in there, and then now it's just part of the store.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
The Bay in St. Catharines had this ornate restaurant on the second floor that my mom would take me to when I was a kid. Pretty sure it's been gone for a while now.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to jaberi
said by jaberi:

last year when people were jumping for joy that target is in canada, they said the canadian prices will still be higher than those in the US.
what's the big deal then.....what is target bringing us that we don't already have?

An alternative to Sam Walton's vision of mass-market retail?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
A store like zellers that opens more than 20% of their cashes even when they have 20 minute lineups? It's no surprise Zellers had issues considering how grossly incompetent they were. I don't think I ever saw them open more than a fraction of their cashes no matter how long the lineups got. Waiting 20 minutes to buy a toothbrush was silly, so I went to pharmaprix and paid more for the same thing but waited much less.
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to donoreo
i read an article in today's paper and they said while the new stores were bright and fresh, there wasn't really anything in there (in terms of pricing) that made it stand out...they used the example of Tide, which was $15.99...exact same price as Canadian Tire across the street, and $4 more than what Target sells it for in the USA.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz
Exactly, even on busy promo days or days like boxing day, they rarely had all the cashes open.

I've simply dropped my purchases on the ground and walked out. Not to mentioned the cashiers were older then DKS

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
It's no different at Walmart. I especially hate it when there's a line at the express corral into the main walkway and they only have one person on cash inside, and only one person on the regular aisles. Sobeys and No Frills here in town are the exact same way.

Go to Wegmans or Tops in Buffalo and every single freaking cash register is open all the time.

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
said by Gone:

It's no different at Walmart. I especially hate it when there's a line at the express corral into the main walkway and they only have one person on cash inside, and only one person on the regular aisles. Sobeys and No Frills here in town are the exact same way.

Go to Wegmans or Tops in Buffalo and every single freaking cash register is open all the time.

The fact that you can hire nearly two cashiers for the price of one up here might have something to do with that, though.

Target may just learn that the hard way.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by corster:

The fact that you can hire nearly two cashiers for the price of one up here might have something to do with that, though.

Target may just learn that the hard way.

most of that is no longer the case...A&P, Loblaws, etc all "folded" their operations and re-opened themselves and rebranded themselves accordingly...the days of making $35/hr as a cashier at a grocery store are done...good thing too, as i often found those workers to be the most surely grocery store employees in the city...it didn't make sense to me.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to corster
said by corster:

NYS minimum wage as of yesterday is $9/hour. Once one takes into account group insurance and the higher payroll taxes in the US, the cost is more or less the same as here.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to dirtyjeffer
Once again more BS from you DJ, they were paid well, but never $35/hr.

None of them "folded" and rebranded because of the "over paid" cashiers.

Dommion was bought by A&P , went bankrupt in the US, and sold the Canadian holdings to PQ's Metro, that re branded the Dommion stores to Metro in the GTA while the rest stayed A&P or became Food basics.

Loblaws folded eh? That's another rich one, it's own by the Weston Group which is filthy rich.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Loblaws folded eh? That's another rich one, it's own by the Weston Group which is filthy rich.

Yeah, they're the largest supermarket chain in the entire country. They operate many more stores than the ones just labeled Loblaws. Around here we have no actual "Loblaws" stores, we have Zehrs instead.

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Once again more BS from you DJ, they were paid well, but never $35/hr.

None of them "folded" and rebranded because of the "over paid" cashiers.

No, he's right in this case. Many companies in retail have rebranded their individual stores in order to sign new union contracts that pay less - in the end of the day the Unions don't care as much about their employees income as they do about their continued union dues.

Loblaws renegotiated to pay their staff in "Superstore" and "Greatfood" stores less than in "Loblaws" stores.... You'll notice that most Loblaws/Zehrs stores in Ontario have now been converted to one of the two formats.

Rexall signed a new contract with the union that lets them pay staff in "Rexall Drug Store" stores less than the staff in "Rexall PharmaPlus" stores...

Those are just two examples that come to mind...

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Maybe The Bay had a restaurant, then? I remember going to the restaurant where the part of the bay that faces st-johns is, on the mall's second floor (but you enter the outside from the ground floor). After the restaurant I think they put an H&R block in there, and then now it's just part of the store.

yup thats the one, the bay closed it in the 90s