share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to donoreo

Re: First Target stores set to open March 5

i read an article in today's paper and they said while the new stores were bright and fresh, there wasn't really anything in there (in terms of pricing) that made it stand out...they used the example of Tide, which was $15.99...exact same price as Canadian Tire across the street, and $4 more than what Target sells it for in the USA.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz
Exactly, even on busy promo days or days like boxing day, they rarely had all the cashes open.

I've simply dropped my purchases on the ground and walked out. Not to mentioned the cashiers were older then DKS

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
It's no different at Walmart. I especially hate it when there's a line at the express corral into the main walkway and they only have one person on cash inside, and only one person on the regular aisles. Sobeys and No Frills here in town are the exact same way.

Go to Wegmans or Tops in Buffalo and every single freaking cash register is open all the time.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
said by Gone:

It's no different at Walmart. I especially hate it when there's a line at the express corral into the main walkway and they only have one person on cash inside, and only one person on the regular aisles. Sobeys and No Frills here in town are the exact same way.

Go to Wegmans or Tops in Buffalo and every single freaking cash register is open all the time.

The fact that you can hire nearly two cashiers for the price of one up here might have something to do with that, though.

Target may just learn that the hard way.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by corster:

The fact that you can hire nearly two cashiers for the price of one up here might have something to do with that, though.

Target may just learn that the hard way.

most of that is no longer the case...A&P, Loblaws, etc all "folded" their operations and re-opened themselves and rebranded themselves accordingly...the days of making $35/hr as a cashier at a grocery store are done...good thing too, as i often found those workers to be the most surely grocery store employees in the city...it didn't make sense to me.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to corster
said by corster:

NYS minimum wage as of yesterday is $9/hour. Once one takes into account group insurance and the higher payroll taxes in the US, the cost is more or less the same as here.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to dirtyjeffer
Once again more BS from you DJ, they were paid well, but never $35/hr.

None of them "folded" and rebranded because of the "over paid" cashiers.

Dommion was bought by A&P , went bankrupt in the US, and sold the Canadian holdings to PQ's Metro, that re branded the Dommion stores to Metro in the GTA while the rest stayed A&P or became Food basics.

Loblaws folded eh? That's another rich one, it's own by the Weston Group which is filthy rich.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Loblaws folded eh? That's another rich one, it's own by the Weston Group which is filthy rich.

Yeah, they're the largest supermarket chain in the entire country. They operate many more stores than the ones just labeled Loblaws. Around here we have no actual "Loblaws" stores, we have Zehrs instead.

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Once again more BS from you DJ, they were paid well, but never $35/hr.

None of them "folded" and rebranded because of the "over paid" cashiers.

No, he's right in this case. Many companies in retail have rebranded their individual stores in order to sign new union contracts that pay less - in the end of the day the Unions don't care as much about their employees income as they do about their continued union dues.

Loblaws renegotiated to pay their staff in "Superstore" and "Greatfood" stores less than in "Loblaws" stores.... You'll notice that most Loblaws/Zehrs stores in Ontario have now been converted to one of the two formats.

Rexall signed a new contract with the union that lets them pay staff in "Rexall Drug Store" stores less than the staff in "Rexall PharmaPlus" stores...

Those are just two examples that come to mind...

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Maybe The Bay had a restaurant, then? I remember going to the restaurant where the part of the bay that faces st-johns is, on the mall's second floor (but you enter the outside from the ground floor). After the restaurant I think they put an H&R block in there, and then now it's just part of the store.

yup thats the one, the bay closed it in the 90s

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to corster
said by corster:

You'll notice that most Loblaws/Zehrs stores in Ontario have now been converted to one of the two formats.

They most certainly haven't here.

A&P was notorious for that in the 90s, though. Just about every A&P I knew of became a Superfresh which then became a Food Basics.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by Gone:

said by corster:

You'll notice that most Loblaws/Zehrs stores in Ontario have now been converted to one of the two formats.

A&P was notorious for that in the 90s, though. Just about every A&P I knew of became a Superfresh which then became a Food Basics.

it may be regional, but all the big players did that...they converted many of their stores from Loblaws to "Real Canadian Superstores" or A&P/Metro to Food Basics, etc...by doing so, they could basically get rid of all the staff, then allow the staff to reapply for the jobs...if they had staff they didn't like, they simply wouldn't rehire them...if they had ones they did want to keep, they would rehire them...there used to be TONS of A&P and Loblaws stores in London...now, only a couple of Loblaws stores are left, the rest are all the "newer versions" like Real Canadian Superstore", Food Basics, Price Chopper/Freshco, No Frills, etc.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Our Zehrs here are still Zehrs and they've been that way since I was a kid. Two in St. Catharines, one in Niagara Falls, one in Welland. The two Real Canadian Superstores in the region (one in St. Cats and one in Grimsby) are new builds.

There are only two remaining once-A&P-now-Metros in the region, one in St. Cats and one in NF. The one in NF is turning into a Food Basics this summer. There used to be a lot of A&Ps everywhere around here. With the exception of the two remaining Metros and the one that used to be at the Pen Centre which is now a Zehrs today (that may have been a Dominion though), they all became Food Basics.

For what it's worth, Sobeys locations are unionized and they aren't exactly going anywhere. They built a brand new one in St. Cats not too long ago, not too far from one of the Zehrs locations. We used to have Commisso's here though, which was bought by Sobeys. Some of them turned into full-blown Sobeys, some became Price Chopper which have all now been rebranded as Freshcos. There's a new Commissio's on Thorold Stone Road in the Falls. Fantastic supermarket, I go there any time I get a chance.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
i haven't seen a Zehrs in decades...they don't them here.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
oh, i know they exist (i remember the name)...it's just odd there isn't any here (not sure why).

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
Re: Grocery stores. No Frills, Food Basics, etc solved a problem the chains had. Most of these are in older locations that had been a Lowblaws or A&P. Rather than update the locations to current standards they went the cheaper route and lowered them. They also made these joint ventures: the store manager is part owner. That takes a lot of the risk off the parent chain. I am not sure on the break down of expenses, but I am sure it favours the chain but allows the JV manager to make a good income.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by donoreo:

Re: Grocery stores. No Frills, Food Basics, etc solved a problem the chains had. Most of these are in older locations that had been a Lowblaws or A&P. Rather than update the locations to current standards they went the cheaper route and lowered them. They also made these joint ventures: the store manager is part owner. That takes a lot of the risk off the parent chain. I am not sure on the break down of expenses, but I am sure it favours the chain but allows the JV manager to make a good income.

in quebec when loblaws took over Provigo they took the full service warehouse style Maxi stores and stripped them down only staffed department they have now is the bakery. It was kind of funny, in my town they were renovating the maxi store at the time of the takeover. Was a really nice store for about 6 weeks... then the loblaw crew moved in stripped the place bare and turned it into a now frills.

In quebec the "rebrand/brief closure" thing doesnt work to break a union. They have to basically keep the store on ice for over a year.

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC

2 edits
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by corster:

The Greatfood format consists of putting a very small "greatfood" sign up above/under the Loblaws/Zehrs logo, or changing the word "Market" on the Zehrs sign to "Great food". There is very little change to the product selection in the actual store (often adding prepared food to stores that didn't have it previously is the extent of the changes), and 90% of people would never notice. The image above is a Zehrs Greatfood format store from Niagara Falls - easy to miss.

That sign change, however, lets them pay their employees less under their agreement with UFCW. Loblaws sold Greatfood on the union by originally designiatign it as a separate chain, the first few stores in Toronto were prominently branded as "Loblaw Greatfood" - but once the union deal was signed, they quietly folded it back into the main "Loblaws" brand.

There are some that haven't been converted, as they don't meet whatever criteria Loblaws agreed to with their union, or they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Ahhh, *that* I didn't know. They're all "Great Food" here.

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
said by Gone:

Ahhh, *that* I didn't know. They're all "Great Food" here.

Yup. "Greatfood" is under a separate collective agreement than "Conventional" (i.e. Loblaws/Zehrs) with lower wages and more flexible scheduling for Loblaws. Pretty clever.

They originally launched Great Food as their upscale brand, which is how they got the union to agree to it being on a separate agreement.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

i haven't seen a Zehrs in decades...they don't them here.

There is one in Fergus, right near the Target.

And as for folding, creating new stores is not "folding".

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
I think they are franchises (you are at thinking Shack mentality again with JV's).
With No Frills, if stand alone, Weston Group owns the land. Where I live they tore down the No Frills and across the street built a Loblaws "Market" store.

They turned the no frills lot into a gas station and garden centre.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

And as for folding, creating new stores is not "folding".

hence why i had folding in quotes...i didn't mean folding as in collapsing (Nortel) and ceasing to exist, i meant folding as in close the doors, renovate, re-open under a different banner...the was a Loblaws store near my house...it shut down and the plaza was rebuilt with a bright airy RCSS store in its place...all the Loblaws workers were essentially let go (union employees) and if they wanted to work in the new store, they had to re-apply.

i, along with Corster have already shown you what i meant, so you can kindly take your "BS" comment back...it was fact.
--

- George Orwell

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I think they are franchises (you are at thinking Shack mentality again with JV's).
With No Frills, if stand alone, Weston Group owns the land. Where I live they tore down the No Frills and across the street built a Loblaws "Market" store.

They turned the no frills lot into a gas station and garden centre.

I think it varies between Metro and Lowblaws. A friend of mine is in the food brokerage business. Oh the stories he can tell.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
target here or not if the prices will not be matching the ones in usa, people will still be cross border shopping..

Cross-border policy that lets shoppers avoid duties and taxes frustrates Canadian retailers

»ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-p···326.html

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by jaberi:

Cross-border policy that lets shoppers avoid duties and taxes frustrates Canadian retailers

Um, individual CBSA officers have had discretionary powers like this for... ever? This isn't exactly a secret for anyone who lives on the border. Retailers who actually operate businesses on the border and have the most to be concerned about have already known this forever, too.

For what it's worth, you're far more likely to be sent in to pay taxes during these busy times if you're from the GTA than from the Niagara Region.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Gone
I always thought the A&P on McLeod went straight to a Food Basics?

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by jaberi:

Um, individual CBSA officers have had discretionary powers like this for... ever? This isn't exactly a secret for anyone who lives on the border. Retailers who actually operate businesses on the border and have the most to be concerned about have already known this forever, too.

For what it's worth, you're far more likely to be sent in to pay taxes during these busy times if you're from the GTA than from the Niagara Region.

I cross over at least once a month to Ogdensberg to pick up some packages at the UPS Store and have never had to pay taxes. The BSO in the booth has sent me in to pay a couple times, but usually the officer inside just looks at the reciepts and sends me on my way.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

I always thought the A&P on McLeod went straight to a Food Basics?

It may have. The A&Ps on Hartzell and at the Fairview Mall became Superfreshes first, then closed for a few months before resurrecting themselves as Food Basics.