how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buckeyefan58

join:2012-02-29
Sterling Heights, MI

UltaTV Media Player Won't Respond for minutes

We have had UltraTV for about a year now and ever since the initial install our upstairs TV will not respond for a few mintutes after it is turned on. We are able to change the volume on the TV, but cannot change the channel, open the DVR list, open the menu, etc. The media player will not respond for about 3- minutes. After it "warms up", it works fine.
Our downstairs TV does not have this issue. We thought the problem was in the media player itself and had it replaced a week ago, but the new player responds the same. Anyone else have the same issue? Any idea what the problem could be?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:30

said by buckeyefan58:

We have had UltraTV for about a year now and ever since the initial install our upstairs TV will not respond for a few mintutes after it is turned on. We are able to change the volume on the TV, but cannot change the channel, open the DVR list, open the menu, etc. The media player will not respond for about 3- minutes. After it "warms up", it works fine.
Our downstairs TV does not have this issue. We thought the problem was in the media player itself and had it replaced a week ago, but the new player responds the same. Anyone else have the same issue? Any idea what the problem could be?

This sounds like the same issue being experienced in the following thread.

»WOW Ultra Tv with LG Plasma
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

buckeyefan58

Sterling Heights, MI

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, Dan. I checked out that thread as well as some linked threads and started troubleshooting. I tried to put a Post-it note in front of the IR sensor last night without any luck. I will try masking tape tonight. Hopefully, I can get something to work. The frustating thing with this issue is that you have to let it sit for quite awhile to try something different. Once the TV warms up, the issue goes away.

inquiringmnd

@wideopenwest.com

Any luck with this issue yet?

buckeyefan58

Sterling Heights, MI

I think I finally got it solved. I ended up adding strip after strip of masking tape each day for about a week. I am not sure how many strips I got up to, but it was pretty thick. The remote still would not respond for multiple minutes and then worked fine after the TV warmed up.
Finally, I folded 2 sheets of white paper in front of the box with the masking tape still in place. I left it like this for a few days and it worked much better. It still was a little quirky when I first turned the TV on, but I was able to switch channels during the TV warm up period.
Not liking the look of white paper folded around the box, I removed it the other night and used a Sharpie marker to black out the masking tape. I have used the TV twice since doing that and it seems to work about the same now as it did with the white paper in front of the box...not perfect, but much better than before. I would guess there is about 7 layers of tape and the final layer is blacked out with a marker. I will leave it like this for awhile and see if it works well enough for me.

dfs

@wideopenwest.com

Are you blocking the whole length of the media player or just where you think the ir sensor is located?

buckeyefan58

Sterling Heights, MI

I have the front taped from the "hour" digit of the clock all the way to the left hand side....top to bottom.