dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tuffcalc
join:2012-08-04

Tuffcalc

Anyone think we may see 20Mbps or more UL speeds via Cable?

Does anyone think Rogers may bump upload speeds on the extreme tier to 20Mbps or more? Unfortunately I can't get Rogers fibre or Bell's FTTH at my house, but would love upload speeds of 20Mbps or more.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Only if Rogers can monetize it adequately to offer it. They woud have to be able to make a lot of $$$ on it.
Tuffcalc
join:2012-08-04

Tuffcalc

I guess the follow-up question is... can their cable network even support higher upload speeds?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Much of it, probably not. It will need an 8 bonded channel upstream to get close to 20Mbps, so you'll need a different modem from most of the D3s available ... they currently only use 4.

20 may come, but not for a while, we've been stuck on very low uploads for 10 years!

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to Tuffcalc

to Tuffcalc
Well, currently 1 bonded upstream channel will support 30.72Mbps therefore 4 will currently support 122.88Mbps upstream so I guess we can safely assume that the sole reason for the brutally slow Rogers upload speeds can be attributed to Rogers standing in the way of progress as usual.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DO ··· d_tables
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Much of it, probably not. It will need an 8 bonded channel upstream to get close to 20Mbps, so you'll need a different modem from most of the D3s available ... they currently only use 4.

20 may come, but not for a while, we've been stuck on very low uploads for 10 years!

Actually 20mbps is possible with 4 upstream channels. I posted a screen shot of my modem when I had signal issues and it only connected to one upstream channel but the modem was still set at 10mbps upload and it was able to get 7mbps upload with just 1 upstream channel so if rogers would just set modem at 20mbps then 4 upstream channel will be able to support it. It all depends on the fact that only a handful can get it because there just won't be enough time slots if a ton of modems had 20mbps and all wanted to use it to its fullest but it IS possible, no doubt with a few modems per node.

But like you said with 8 up stream channels it will work a lot better, the more upstream channels there are the more time slots.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to elitefx

Mod

to elitefx
That 1 upstream channel is shared by everyone on your cable segment and a lot of administrative packets between the modem and the CMTS

That's why bonding is so important. On the extra bonded channels, there isn't the admin overhead.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

so I guess we can safely assume that the sole reason for the brutally slow Rogers upload speeds can be attributed to Rogers standing in the way of progress as usual.

That's far from the truth, slow upload speed on cable is due to the fact that the node can only "listen" to one modem at a time, thus 122.88mbps is only possible if there was one modem per node. 122.88mbps has to be divided between ~250 modem in terms of time slots, the node will "listen" to each modem in its allotted time slot. That time slot if very small but for 10mbps that's 0.08(seconds) that works of to 8% of the total time slots for just one modem when you have 250 modem. Do the math, only ~12 modems can even get 10mbps but what about the rest of the 238 modems? Well those modems get very low upload speed(small time slots) and hope that they don't upload a lot of stuff and also hope that the 10mbps guys don't run torrent servers. You have to realize the slow upload speeds are due to technical limits, but I still say if someone is willing to pay extra for 20mbps upload config then rogers should allow that as long as that customer's node is oversubscribed as such that it won't have an adverse effect on the rest of modems. Because lets face it, all node are oversubscribed but not all nodes are oversubscribed to the same extent thus there are nodes that can support 20mbps for a few modems without any adverse effect on the rest of the modems.
elec999
join:2005-12-19

elec999 to Tuffcalc

to Tuffcalc
Sorry kick in. But why isn't Rogers offering higher upload speeds?

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to technocar2

to technocar2
that seems right until you look at comcast who has had 10mbps up for YEARS on lower packages (with high caps or unlimited) and now has 20 up same with shaw though shaw usually has lower density.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Tuffcalc

to Tuffcalc
20 up is definitely possible with DOCSIS 3.0. Many MSOs in the US offer it, and their D3 upgrades are often not as mature as Rogers. Until they see a mass exodus to Bell due to upload speeds, I doubt we'll see improvements anytime soon.

Shiva23
@utoronto.ca

Shiva23 to Tuffcalc

Anon

to Tuffcalc
From what i have heard once all the analog channels have been moved over to digital rogers will be able to offer much higher upload speeds that what they are able to offer right now.
Expand your moderator at work

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to yyzlhr

Mod

to yyzlhr

Re: Anyone think we may see 20Mbps or more UL speeds via Cable?

Many MSOs in the US don't have as many subscribers per cable segment either. If you only have a small number of subs per segment, you can deal with higher speeds. Also, from what I've seen, US consumers are more accepting of speed sags and the UP TO clause! In other words they seem less likely to get bent out of shape when their speeds vary. Canadian consumers do seem far more demanding.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

1 edit

BliZZardX to Tuffcalc

Premium Member

to Tuffcalc
Click for full size
Click for full size
Higher upload is sorely needed on the lower tiers

On 3000/256 half the upload is saturated on every download. Perfect line stats too. A connection like this should really be 3000/3000.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Many MSOs in the US don't have as many subscribers per cable segment either. If you only have a small number of subs per segment, you can deal with higher speeds. Also, from what I've seen, US consumers are more accepting of speed sags and the UP TO clause! In other words they seem less likely to get bent out of shape when their speeds vary. Canadian consumers do seem far more demanding.

Interesting. I would have thought the opposite due to the higher population density and the popularity of triple play bundles that essentially force you to take all three services or pay a ridiculous price for one.