spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nerdrichard

join:2013-03-04

TekSavvy unable to do phone service in Toronto?

Hello there,

My wife's cousin is trying to switch away from Bell with a home phone and Internet service and looked at TekSavvy. When she spoke with a rep at TekSavvy she was told point blank that Bell has placed "legal constraints against TekSavvy" preventing them from providing home phone and DSL service to them (I assume their area). The cousin is located near the Beaches in Toronto. The TekSavvy service seems to be available in the area, but I have never heard of Bell being able to do such a thing, is it possible? They were even told that they would likely have to rewire their entire home for a "non-Bell" service, which I believe not to be true as well. But has anyone heard of anything like this? It would surprise me to no end as I was hoping to switch to TekSavvy myself but this would certainly give me pause. If our cousin had been speaking to Bell, I might have almost expected that info, but not from TekSavvy....

Thanks very much for any insight!

Kind Regards,

Rich

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
Last we heard, there is a hold on transfers from Bell to TekSavvy for phone only. It's been like that for more than a year, I think.

No one (other than TSI) really knows the reason why and as yet we have no ETA on when they'll be able to do a transfer.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to nerdrichard
The only issue with Bell to TekSavvy is if a customer is wanting to transfer an existing Bell owned phone number to a reseller. However they could switch to TekTalk which is their VoIP offering without any issues.

As for DSL there are no legal issues with ordering a new connection.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to nerdrichard
Hello there,

Just a couple things here. First yes, we currently have a stop-sell on transferring phone service from Bell, in some instances this will also affect transferring to us from a different provider, and in some locations we are unable to provide new phone service at all.

That is for standard home phone service. TekTalk, our VOIP offering, would still be available as long as you are in an area where we have rate centers available.

This does not affect DSL service however and they could certainly bring the DSL to us now. So if her cousin was informed that this included DSL as well than she was most definitely misinformed. I'm also not sure where this comment on rewiring the entire home would have come from.

If you, and your wifes cousin, wouldn't mind could you please PM me so I can get some more information and look into this phone call?

Thank you,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to camelot
said by camelot:

No one (other than TSI) really knows

Marc got quite specific at one point. It seems that phone used to be a tarifed service, fully open to competition. A few years ago the CRTC ended that, but Teksavvy and Bell came to a business to business agreement so that Teksavvy could maintain the offering.

In that agreement there was a cap on the number of phone number transfers allowed per month, but nobody paid any attention to it. Along that time Teksavvy was growing like mad, and I guess a lot of transfers started to happen. Well above the set quota in the agreement.

Finally last year sometime Bell decided to call Teksavvy on it, and they said "no new transfers at all until the back log of extra transfers you did before is cleared up". That was finally cleared sometime last August maybe?

Anyway, it isn't the issue anymore. Now Teksavvy is "voluntarily" not taking transfers because they don't know how to handle the very limited number they are allowed to do. Like, waiting list, obviously, but for some reason it isn't that simple.

said by TSI Keith:

and in some locations we are unable to provide new phone service at all.

That's interesting.. Are you just talking about non-Bell subdivisions (and etc.)?
--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
Thanks Teddy, I meant to expand a bit on the situation (although maybe not as well as you did ) but I got distracted by the other things apparently stated on that call.

As far as the other... well here's an example:

Going to »secure.teksavvy.com/tools/en/res···oneb.asp and entering Toronto gives you pricing for Toronto.

Now if you enter Ridgetown you get "Due to certain limitations associated with the Bell service platform, TekSavvy has had to impose stop sells in certain situations. Should you be affected by these limitations we encourage you to consider our digital phone product TekTalk."

(A quick example off the top of my head because I live in Rigetown... where there is not a local rate center with TekTalk either lol)

I don't know all the specifics to be honest. If I had to guess I'd say that it either is (or was) an area serviced only by Bell (and Teksavvy until this all started) so any customer we sign on there would be a customer taken from Bell even if they don't have them now.

The above was my own wild speculation and could possibly be way off base

Thank you,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )