spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gord27
join:2005-05-01
Mississauga, ON

gord27

[DSL] 2 x 25mbit mlppp still possible?

I've been out of the loop for a couple years enjoying my 25mbit VDSL. However, with all these new packages coming out I'm now itching for more speed. I bought the WNDR 3700 v2 when I did with the future plan of using it for 2 line mlppp as it was my understanding at the time that it would work with the necessary firmware.

Now, is this still possible? Is there a guide somewhere? Does TSI still support this?

I tried doing some searching to no avail.

TIA.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

If you're patient, which seems like considering you've been outta the loop for sometime, there is a 50/10 package coming out shortly at TSI. Some other indies are already offering it, e.g. Velcom.

If you are really after the upload increase than the 25/10 plan is your best bet and I believe it is supported, however, I don't think many members here have that due to the cost. Guspaz might know more.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to gord27

Premium Member

to gord27
TSI supports MLPPP, but finding router hardware & firmware combination to bond at those speeds is gonna be a challenge.

Tomato/MLPPP still only works on the WRT54G/GL/GS line of routers which are not powerful enough to bond 2x25mbit.

And the project pretty much died since the introduction of higher speed tiers for DSL & Cable.

I think the only way to do it would be to run the Linux/MLPPP or Zeroshell/MLPPP but you'd need a dedicated machine with multiple network cards to run it.

Better just wait for 50/10 to be available which should be soon, if your line will support it that is.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to gord27

to gord27
pfsense is a capable option. I've run 8*6/1 on a 500MHz net5501-70. You could do 2*25/10 on the same, or any Atom or Brazos machine.

I'm currently toying with Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter Lite, which is capable in theory, but no GUI support yet. Would be a fantastic piece of hardware for the job if it will work.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

O yeah, I forgot pfsense.
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27

Hmm, OK, so my WNDR 3700 v2 will not do it? That's too bad. At the time I bought it I thought there were others getting it to work.

My line is borderline capable of the 50mbit tier which is why I'm posing this question. 10mbit upload is adequate for my current uses.

I guess I'll wait to see whether I can get the 50mbit tier. Will this be an automatic upgrade for those on 25mbit or will there be a price increase?

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to gord27

to gord27
8*6? Why? Is cheaper than a straight 48 connect and you pocket the savings because of your hardware?

The problem with DSL has always been it's speed but I totally forgot about the ability to bond multiple connections together..Imagine, 2x50/10...That would probably be cheaper than a 100 dedicated.
Expand your moderator at work

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to d4m1r

to d4m1r

Re: [DSL] 2 x 25mbit mlppp still possible?

We have no cable option here, and 6/1 is as good as it gets on DSL. I could jump to fiber, but the unit price is many times more expensive.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to gord27

to gord27
I do 2 x 25/10 with a Debian box running standard x86/x64 hardware. It works fine and has capacity to spare. I suspect that an ALIX box could deal with this as well if you are looking for something small and low power.

The only problem I have right now is that with this whole 1-10% packet loss thing any sort of bonding becomes unusable as the packet loss gets multiplied by the number of links. 20% loss is just not workable so I'm running on a single link for the moment with the hopes that TSI will figure out what is going on. Before the packet loss thing started it was pretty nice.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to gord27

MVM

to gord27
I'm not sure Linux/MLPPP or ZeroShell/MLPPP are great options at this point, they're both rather out of date. OpenWRT/MLPPP is too unreliable to consider an option (I should know, I used it for 2x25 for quite a while), although I believe Acanac may still be working on a newer version.

At this point, microtik or cisco is probably the best option, and pfsense may also work well.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Still no chance at this point of tempting you and DSL Ricer to update your code?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Not really. DSL_Ricer was the developer, he never used MLPPP for anything but single line, and he hasn't been a TekSavvy customer for years now. We were lucky to get as much out of him as we did.

TemporalFlux
Premium Member
join:2003-08-07
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

TemporalFlux to gord27

Premium Member

to gord27
I used my RouterBoard RB450G for MLPPP in the past. Worked wonderfully!
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I looked into some of these and they look somewhat complicated. What's the simplest/cheapest solution?

As far as I can tell I'm right on the border of being able to get 50mbit but with the promo prices it's fairly inexpensive to add a second 25mbit connection.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Routerboard is probably the simplest cheapish solution although I have no personal experience with it.

That said if you've got an old PC and a couple of NICs then setting up your own system really isn't that hard and will only cost you time. As an added bonus you'll learn new skills while you are at it.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to gord27

to gord27
I've never used Microtik so I can't comment on that.

If you want simple, it doesn't get much simpler that an Alix with pfsense pre-installed from netgate.com

»store.netgate.com/Netgat ··· C83.aspx

Just plug it in, log into the web UI and configure your pppoe. Be sure to get the red one.
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27

said by clarknova:

I've never used Microtik so I can't comment on that.

If you want simple, it doesn't get much simpler that an Alix with pfsense pre-installed from netgate.com

»store.netgate.com/Netgat ··· C83.aspx

Just plug it in, log into the web UI and configure your pppoe. Be sure to get the red one.

Followed the link. Don't see anything about mlppp though?

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

pfsense does MLPPP since the early 2.0 betas. Netgate ships their m1n1walls with 2.0.2, so it's in there. I use it myself.

»doc.pfsense.org/index.ph ··· P/MLPPP)
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27

said by clarknova:

pfsense does MLPPP since the early 2.0 betas. Netgate ships their m1n1walls with 2.0.2, so it's in there. I use it myself.

Awesome. Are you using it on Teksavvy?

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Yes. I'm running 8 6/1 lines this way.
gord27
Mississauga, ON

gord27

Anyone know if Teksavvy currently supports this on the 25mbit connections? Also, is it still $4 extra?

TSI Danielle
Premium Member
join:2012-05-31

TSI Danielle

Premium Member

Yes, we do support it on the 25m connections. And the $4 charge for the mlppp is correct as well.
jacobhuh
join:2012-10-15
Calgary, AB

jacobhuh to gord27

to gord27
2 x 25mbps MLPPP is definitely possible!

I have a setup here in AB with Teksavvy 2x25mbps bonded MLPPP by pfSense Box 2.1-BETA1 (built as of today Apr. 17th, 2013 - so fresh packages aren't even complied).

I've set the MTU to 1480 as per Danelle's recommendation, but I get a bit of packet loss 2-5%, and youtube buffering is terrible.

Anyone have the same problems as me?

PS. I was on a Teksavvy supplied Mikrotik RB 750GL (which they had programmed) and according to the logs, I get continuous dropped packets, but did not have a significant impact in noticable use, well other then my family complaining about youtube buffering delays.

Jacob

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to gord27

MVM

to gord27
The packetloss (if from pings) could be due to bugs in the MLPPP implementation. IIRC there were such issues with OpenWRT before Erik fixed something in the kernel?
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

1 edit

s0dhi to gord27

to gord27
said by gord27:

said by clarknova:

Awesome. Are you using it on Teksavvy?

I have a "RED" one sitting on my desk in case if you're interested in it. Already configured with pfsense. (I moved on to an Atom D525 box).

EDIT: I'm not using MLPPP, for the record. Also pfsense 2.0.3 is out now.
etech
join:2011-02-14

etech to gord27

to gord27

can this be done with a PC as a gateway/router and 2 Internet services. One being Cable and the other FTTN ? Is it possible with FTTN ?

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to clarknova

to clarknova
said by clarknova:

pfsense is a capable option. I've run 8*6/1 on a 500MHz net5501-70. You could do 2*25/10 on the same, or any Atom or Brazos machine.

I'm currently toying with Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter Lite, which is capable in theory, but no GUI support yet. Would be a fantastic piece of hardware for the job if it will work.

This provides GUI support.

»www.ubnt.com/download#app

airControl

airControl is a powerful and intuitive web based server network management application which allows operators to centrally manage entire networks of Ubiquti devices.

airControl beta
airControl User Guide
airControl Release Notes