Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

3 edits

1 recommendation

[General] Overview of Current Popular VoIP Providers' Offerings

In reading through various threads in this VoIP Tech Forum and more so in the VoIP SubForums, I sense a lack of awareness of the reasonable pricing options offered by the full-featured VoIP providers that we regulars discuss day after day.  So this post is aimed at those who vent their frustrations here about NetTalk and GoogleVoice) and in the MagicJack, Vonage and TeleBlend SubForums … those who are possibly looking for information on the “good guys”.

While I have a personal bias against truly cheap services for a variety of reasons (GoogleVoice, MagicJack, NetTalk) and I believe that Vonage is a majorly overpriced, weak-featured choice, I am somewhat surprised by the naiveté displayed by those who seek “good service”, “good support”, and “good features” … but wish to pay nothing or almost nothing for these “options”.

Providers with annual plans that supply the adapter (ATA) with E911 included
VOIPo at $75 per year (under current offer of $149 for two years) with unlimited US/Canada calling and no extra taxes/fees ... $6.25 per month total!  Adapter is loaned to customer at no cost.  No additional taxes or fees apply.

PhonePower at $100 per year (under current offer of $199.95 for two years) with unlimited US/Canada calling and 60 minutes of international calls per month ... $8.33 per month total!  Adapter is loaned to customer at no cost.  No additional taxes or fees apply.

Future-Nine’s $75 per year Bare Essentials Plan with 2000 minutes of incoming calls and 250 minutes of outgoing US/Canada calls per month (a good plan, considering that many people use a cell phone to make outgoing calls) ... $6.25 per month total!  The Future-Nine site states that adapter (unlocked) can be purchased by customer (plus $10 shipping and handling): new PAP2T-NA for $45, new SPA-2002 for $35, refurbished PAP2-NA for $35.  However, Nitzan (the CEO, COO, CFO, CC&BW) just opened a thread »[Future9] Interest in ATAs? asking readers if he should resume offering pre-provisioned ATAs.   Meanwhile, no additional taxes or fees apply.

Providers with low monthly plans with a mix of fixed and pay-as-you-go per minute charges; customer provides the adapter (ATA)
CallCentric provides a US/Canada phone number for $1.95 per month and 1.5¢ per minute for incoming calls.  No additional taxes or fees apply (except for sales tax charged to NY State customers).
A selection of outgoing calling plans is offered:
      Pay-per-Call at 1.98¢ (that's just under 2 cents) per minute;
      North America 500 at $6.95 per month.
      North America 1000 at $12.95 per month.
      North America Residential at $19.95 per month (unlimited calling).
      World Select Residential at $29.95 per month (unlimited calling, including over 35 countries).
Note: Calls are billed in 60 second intervals.  CC's E911 sort of optional service is offered at $1.50 per month.

Voip.ms For most rate centers, the monthly charge for a phone number is 99¢.  All outgoing calls are billed at 1.05¢ per minute.  For incoming calls, the Pay-As-You-Go account charges 1¢ per minute while the Flat Rate Plan at $4.95 (for most accounts) includes 3500 minutes per month.  No additional taxes or fees apply.
Note: Calls are billed in 6 second intervals.  Voip.ms's E911 service at $1.50 per month is optional.

Anveo This providers web site is so confusing that I gave up trying to tabulate/itemize its offerings.  Clicking the Overview tab at the top of the home page and then clicking in the Phone Numbers box presents the following Flexible Rate Plans for Telephone Numbers: Value, Personal Unlimited, Office Unlimited, Service Unlimited.  However, pricing is not shown nor does clicking any of these items get you any additional information.
           The alternative of clicking the Plans & Pricing tab at the top of the home page leads to a totally different Flexible Subscription Packages offering: Free, Starter, Professional, Business. Frankly, I have no idea which packages are for incoming vs outgoing calls nor any other understanding of the overwhelming presentation of features and pricing.

Anveo’s website majorly violates the caveat Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)!    Forum posters who use Anveo praise its pricing, features, service & support … but given the current design of the website, Anveo would have been wiser to have chosen anveo.gr as it’s domain … ‘cause it’s all Greek to me..

[Corrections made ... but the ¢ sign and the é in naivete won't stay corrected.]

azmike

join:2012-07-19
Phoenix, AZ

Re: [General] Overview of Current Popular VoIP Providers' Offeri

If I'm not mistaken VoIP.ms's flat rate plan is 3500 minutes of incoming minutes not outgoing. Also in the VoIP.ms section you show "CC's E911 service..." I suspect you meant "VoIP.ms's E911 service..."

Oh and I have to agree. My goal in life is to one day understand Anveo's pricing.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON

1 recommendation

reply to N9MD

I can help out with the Anveo pricing. I've considering a switch lately, and I've settled on Anveo and will be making the jump soon. Yeah, their site is very confusing. It took me a while to figure out what's going on. It's definitely geared more towards businesses than home users.

The 'Plans & Pricing' page describes their subscription packages. This is the monthly price you pay for the features described, whether you have any phone numbers with them or not.

Their 'Phone Numbers' page describes the pricing packages for having one phone number (DID) and inbound calling on that phone number. The pricing for the phone numbers depends on the Country you want a number for.

So for a simple setup, you'd subscribe to one of their subscription packages and a phone number. You can have more than one phone number on the same account if you wish. I'm planning to use them for my home phone, so I'll just use their free subscription package, with their Personal Unlimited phone number plan at $2/month. That'll give me unlimited incoming calls, and half a cent/minute outbound to Canada.

For my usage, I calculated I'd be paying around $4/month after the 80 cent 911 fee.

Plus you get access to some fancy features that you might use if you're the type that does like to fiddle with neat technology. If you ever have to deal with businesses still living in the 90's, you can set it up to detect faxes coming into your phone number and just email the faxes to you rather than putting the call through to your phone. You can send faxes through the web portal too. There's other neat IVR features that you can use too. All the features are described on their 'Features' page. Some are free, some are pay-per-use, or only available on the non-free subscription packages.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to N9MD

took me awhile to figure out anveo's website
my example is going to pick a canadian number and only use /compare the personal plans

1. click on "phone numbers" from the top menu(this is picking your did)

1a. if you choose:
> "anveo value" >value has some free incoming depending on "plans" you choose in the next step 2.)

>"personal unlimited" unlimited is for incoming

1b. scroll down, pick a country for your phone number, eg canada, if you choose:
"anveo value" is $1/mth for your phone number
"personal unlimited" is $2/mnth for your phone number

2. next goto "plans and pricing" from top menu and pick a plan

2a. picking "free" plan, read under its heading for what the plan includes

starter is $7.85/mnth but has more features included if you need them, most notably sip tcp and Users/SIP Accounts included is 1 more than value

example#1
so i picked canadian number(did) w/"personal unlimited" =$2
i picked "free" under plans =$0
e911 =$0.80
total $2+$0.80 = $2.80/mth for unlimited incoming calls with a phone number(did) within canada, outgoing calls are paid /minute at the going rates

example #2
so i picked canadian number(did) w/"personal unlimited" =$2
picked starter plan $7.85
e911 =$0.80
$2+$7.85+$0.80=$10.65/mth +outgoing calls are charged

the "anveo value" and "personal unlimited" both have to pay for outgoing calls at prices setout in the "calling rates" from the top of the menu
calls outgoing/within canada are $0.005(1/2 cent)

example #1 would suit my needs plus if you pay $2*12=$24 upfront you get free porting

edit: cnam lookup(name lookup, numbers come through) is 0.9cents /lookup, less than 1cent
no phone support
free account has only 4 lifetime tickets support

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
reply to N9MD

Thanks to azmike, cybersaga and vincom.

Dr Hiromi

@optonline.net
reply to N9MD

said by N9MD:

CallCentric provides a US/Canada phone number for $1.95 per month and 1.5¢ per minute for incoming calls......

To this excellent analysis, I would add that CallCentric also has flat-rate incoming numbers, DirtCheap incoming numbers, and free New York incoming numbers.

And regarding outbound, if one uses a flat-rate outbound plan (such as 500 or 1000 minutes) then the 911 fee is included rather than being a separate charge.

»www.callcentric.com/products/

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to N9MD

Definitely missing in the list is Localphone, U.S. DID $ 0.99/month, outgoing calls U.S. 0.5c/month

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by cb14:

Definitely missing in the list is Localphone, U.S. DID $ 0.99/month, outgoing calls U.S. 0.5c/month

Thanks, cb14.  Is there a per minute charge for incoming calls ... and does Localphone allow for porting in and/or porting out numbers?

Incidentally, I did not include CallWithUs, either ... knowing that he is well respected in the Forums ... because of a lack on my part of familiarity with Sergey's offering. If someone can post info on CWU, it would add to the "value" of this thread.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to N9MD

Whats with the No extra taxes and extra fees apply?

Not picking on voipo but don't they charge the $3 a month for the first year of service in fees and taxes. Making the total $7.71 a month for the 24 month term. Think its paid up front thank god but it still adds to cost.

Sure the others have similar small hidden fees.

Viatalk is $189 for 2 years or $7.88 a month. Lots of taxes and fees. For me it ends up $12.80 a month.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to N9MD

Localphone does not have any incoming minute charge. They allow porting in and out. Port in fee is $ 25.-. You have to check whether the number is portable.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to N9MD

Very nice.

said by N9MD:

CallCentric provides a US/Canada phone number for $1.95 per month and 1.5¢ per minute for incoming calls.  No additional taxes or fees apply (except for sales tax charged to NY State customers).
A selection of outgoing calling plans is offered:
      Pay-per-Call at 1.98¢ (that's just under 2 cents) per minute;
      North America 500 at $6.95 per month.
      North America 1000 at $12.95 per month.
      North America Residential at $19.95 per month (unlimited calling).
      World Select Residential at $29.95 per month (unlimited calling, including over 35 countries).
Note: Calls are billed in 60 second intervals.  CC's E911 sort of optional service is offered at $1.50 per month.

said by Dr Hiromi :

said by N9MD:

CallCentric provides a US/Canada phone number for $1.95 per month and 1.5¢ per minute for incoming calls......

To this excellent analysis, I would add that CallCentric also has flat-rate incoming numbers, DirtCheap incoming numbers, and free New York incoming numbers.

And regarding outbound, if one uses a flat-rate outbound plan (such as 500 or 1000 minutes) then the 911 fee is included rather than being a separate charge.

Very good points.

I believe it's important to mention that the E911 cost recovery fee is based upon the account (multiple DID's in the same account incur no extra fees).

Outgoing calls to the continental US, Hawaii, and Canada are $0.0198 per minute, while calls to Alaska are $0.0275 per minute.

I'm not sure if Canadians pay a GST/HST tax?

Support: Iscream is active in this forum.

said by N9MD:

Voip.ms For most rate centers, the monthly charge for a phone number is 99¢.  All outgoing calls are billed at 1.05¢ per minute.  For incoming calls, the Pay-As-You-Go account charges 1¢ per minute while the Flat Rate Plan at $4.95 (for most accounts) includes 3500 minutes per month.  No additional taxes or fees apply.
Note: Calls are billed in 6 second intervals.  Voip.ms's E911 service at $1.50 per month is optional.

May I suggest the following changes:

Canadians pay a GST/HST tax, and the outgoing rate is based upon the choice of value or premium routing.

Value routing:
Continental US: $0.0105 per minute
Hawaii: $0.0163 per minute
Alaska: $0.0317 per minute
Canada: $0.0052 per minute
Canada - Yukon, North West Territories & Nunavut: $0.0102 per minute

Premium routing:
Continental US: $0.0125 per minute
Hawaii: $0.0292 per minute
Alaska: $0.1875 per minute (I wonder if this is a typo)
Canada: $0.0125 per minute
Canada - Yukon, North West Territories & Nunavut: $0.0260 per minute

New feature: e-mail notification if 911 is dialed.

Support: MartinM and Suppafly are active in this forum.

---

One provider's (I don't recall which one) incoming flat rate plan includes a varying number of minutes (1000 - 3500). I seem to recall it was based upon the provider of the DID?

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo

said by SCADAGeo:

Premium routing:
Alaska: $0.1875 per minute (I wonder if this is a typo)

I doubt this is a typo. Two reasons, I have never been charged a rate other than that published and it is a little below the Vitelity rate to Alaska.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
reply to N9MD

Another to mention is Flowroute, www.flowroute.com. $0.98 outgoing per minute for the 48-states and Canada, $1.25/month for a DID, and one of the few providers who does OUTBOUND CNAM (meaning they populate the LIDB database free of charge). I use ALL the providers mentioned in your post, but I'd have to say that my outbound service from Flowroute has met a 99.999% up time in the past year ... no one else has done that. Perhaps they are not for everyone, but I find them to be very good.

I have a bunch of Canadian DIDs, and Anveo has the best price/performance for Canadian DIDs, IMHO.
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

jduffy
Premium
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Vonage
·net2phone
·Cincinnati Bell
·ooma
reply to N9MD

What is an even better deal that Future-Nine's Bare Essentials, is the CallCentric free phone number. It allows unlimited incoming minutes. Then they also have a plan with 500 minutes outgoing for $6.95 a month - double the Future-Nine offering.

So what I did for my daughter, is I set her up with a free phone number from CallCentric (it is a New York area code, but makes no difference). Then created a Google Voice account with a local number (again, free), then forwarded the Google Voice number to the CallCentric free incoming number (unlimited incoming minutes and allow her to have a local number).

So now for $6.95 a month, she has 500 outgoing minutes, and unlimited incoming minutes.

We are also using the ObiTalk TA's for this. So she can also call out with Google Talk which is not the quality of CallCentric. It works, but we prefer CallCentric which by the way gives her 911 access.
--
Atheists swear there is no Heaven, but pray there isn't a Hell.

ymhee_bcex
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse
·VOIPO
reply to dcurrey

Yes, Voipo charges extra fees for their two-year plan; and PhonePower charges fees and taxes *twice*. So, PhonePower costs about $12/mo. But PhonePower gives you "second line"; so you essentially can have two simultaneous conversations over two phones. And I've had much fewer problems with them than with Voipo... I just wish they were a little more honest about their pricing!
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8

Pretty sure VOIPo has the "second line feature" too. Future Nine does too - just request it.

ymhee_bcex
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse
·VOIPO

said by nitzan:

Pretty sure VOIPo has the "second line feature" too. Future Nine does too - just request it.

They used to have it (I got it about a year and a half ago), but not any more. Probably, you can request it for extra price...
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to N9MD

@Callcentric, it says in their FAQ that an average number port takes 25 days?! Is that true? How come it is 25 days for Callcentric but voip.ms can do it in 5 days?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

said by d4m1r:

@Callcentric, it says in their FAQ that an average number port takes 25 days?! Is that true? How come it is 25 days for Callcentric but voip.ms can do it in 5 days?

They may be setting expectations at the long end to avoid disappointments. Anveo says
On average it takes 3-5 weeks to port a number. Sometimes it may take longer. We do our best to expedite porting process, however, the porting process depends on other parties involved such as our carrier, losing carrier and your provider.
It took me just under 7 calender days for a wire phone number to be ported to Anveo and totally working. It will depend on the cooperation of the company you are saying goodby to. Some will drag it out.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to N9MD

Ah ok, that makes sense. Also, CallCentric says "Pay Per Minute to Receive Calls" but coverage = USA and Canada. Does that mean international people can't call you if I were to switch to CallCentric?

Lastly, would someone just be able to go with the "Pay Per Call" outgoing plan and combine it with the "Pay Per Minute" incoming plan to only truly pay for what they use?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by d4m1r:

Also, CallCentric says "Pay Per Minute to Receive Calls" but coverage = USA and Canada. Does that mean international people can't call you if I were to switch to CallCentric?

No, no.

It refers to those particular phone numbers (and that particular rate plan) being designated as US or Canada locations.

It does NOT relate to where you can receive calls from. You can receive calls from anywhere.

said by d4m1r:

Lastly, would someone just be able to go with the "Pay Per Call" outgoing plan and combine it with the "Pay Per Minute" incoming plan to only truly pay for what they use?

You can combine any inbound plan with any outbound plan. For that matter, you can do inbound only, or outbound only, if desired.

Be aware that if you are in the US or Canada, you will have a separate 911 fee (1.50 monthly) UNLESS you choose one of these plans: NorthAm 500, NorthAm 1000, NorthAm Residential, World Select Residential---for those plans, 911 cost is bundled in to the package.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
reply to d4m1r

said by PX Eliezer:

said by d4m1r:

You can combine any inbound plan with any outbound plan. For that matter, you can do inbound only, or outbound only, if desired.

Be aware that if you are in the US or Canada, you will have a separate 911 fee (1.50 monthly) UNLESS you choose one of these plans: NorthAm 500, NorthAm 1000, NorthAm Residential, World Select Residential---for those plans, 911 cost is bundled in to the package.

Giving your local phone number (on the Pay Per Minute plan) to local folks, and adding a free NY state phone number (receives calls at no additional cost, limit 2 per account) to give out to international folks, will also reduce the cost.

Gus K

join:2003-08-22
USA
reply to N9MD

Trying to sort the Anveo offerings it seems they just assign some random US number.

True?

conwaytwt
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Conway, AR
Reviews:
·Conway Corp.

said by Gus K:

Trying to sort the Anveo offerings it seems they just assign some random US number.

True?

I'm not sure whether "some random US number" is an option Anveo offers but I requested a DID in a nearby rate center and was assigned one there. It wasn't "random." If my existing DID were in the supported rate center they said I could have ported it.

So there are at least two options other than "some random US number."

cybersaga

Welland, ON
reply to Gus K

said by Gus K:

True?

Random, within the rate center you choose. To see the rate centers they support, see here: »www.anveo.com/orderphonenumber.asp

Doesn't look like they have anything in Hammond or anywhere near you, unless you're willing to go across the state line and get a Chigaco number.

Gus K

USA

OK, now I see.

219 in Michigan City or Cedar Lake is good enough.

Thanks folks

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Gus K

said by Gus K:

Aside from going over to Chicago area, within your 219 area code Anveo does have Michigan City, Indiana, and also Cedar Lake, Indiana.

EDIT: Simulposted with Gus K!

Gus K

USA

1 recommendation

reply to Gus K

Thanks and sorry to be so dense.

So I can get a 219 number for $1 and e911 for $.80.

So my grand total (no other costs?) under the Anveo Value free plan will be $1.80/month?

That will include 40 minutes each day incoming and outbound will cost me $.01/minute.

cybersaga

Welland, ON

Exactly. Or you can do the $2/month instead of the $1 and get unlimited incoming.

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA
reply to N9MD

Anveo pricing is not that bad to figure out. I been with them for a while myself. Basically you pay for the number you port in or the number you chose which also includes the incoming call minutes based on the plan you get here »www.anveo.com/consumer/mainphonenumbers.asp.
Out going calls are based on a per min rate if you don't chose anything else here »www.anveo.com/consumer/service.asp which is a whole bunch of features that you can pay to get more of if you so chose. Personally I have the Personal Unlimited with Free subscription this will run me anywhere from $4 to $7 month for me. See that what not hard at all..
Cheers.