spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chipb0i
join:2010-01-27
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

[IPv6] IPv6 in Schaumburg

I was wondering if anyone else in the Schaumburg IL area was getting IPv6? I thought I saw somewhere that it was rolled out, but can't find that anymore. I upgraded my modem to a Motorola D3 (don't remember the model right now, but I know its IPv6 ready) and router recently and all is ready for IPv6 but if I try the IPv6 readiness site it says I'm not getting a IPv6 address. I live on the border of Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates, if that makes a difference.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Have you configured your router and PC for IPv6? It's not going to be enabled by default.
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

As far as I can tell the modem isn't getting an IPv6 address, as it only shows a regular IPv4 address in the modem itself.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Unless your modem is also a router it isn't going to get a usable IP address, IPv6 or IPv4.
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

Ok, new note, I just noticed that the IP on that tab is the IP address of the modem. Should have looked more closely. Other than that it lists the CPE MAC address and Ethernet MAC. So basically if I don't enable the IPv6 in the router I'm not going to get the IPv6 addresses, correct?

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Yes, you have to enable IPv6 in the router, and the router must support the type of IPv6 address assignment that Comcast uses.

And you also have to enable IPv6 on your PC(s).
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

Well, I know its enabled on my PC. I would figure the router would still handle with IPv4 anything that does not handle IPv6 (I'm thinking game consoles, I haven't looked into that yet). Do you know or can you point me to where I find out what IPv6 type Comcast is using?

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Comcast uses DHCP with PD (Prefix Delegation) for their IPv6. There may be other terms that describe the same thing. Just look in your router for the choices for assigning IPv6 addresses. Should be fairly obvious once you see them.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to chipb0i

Premium Member

to chipb0i
First look here to make sure your cable modem supports it, most D3's on our network support CPE IPv6.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· 1&sc=684

Next what is your router type?

And yes Chicago area is enabled for IPv6, if you disconnect your router and put a PC that supports DHCPv6 you should get an IPv6 Address. The OS's would be Windows 7, MAC OS..
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

My modem is on the list, a Surfboard 6121.
Router is a Netgear WNDR3400v2.

I just tried the auto detect option and it did finally pick up an address, however many sites won't load. Google and Amazon work, but could not get to Bing or UPS, along with a few others. I had to reset the router and modem to get regular IPv4 back after disabling the IPv6 on the router.

Any suggestions, or if there is a webpage that has what I need, are appreciated.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by chipb0i:

Router is a Netgear WNDR3400v2.

Can you tell us the firmware version?
said by chipb0i:

I just tried the auto detect option and it did finally pick up an address

What was the address that you picked up? We really need details to troubleshoot this please.
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

Firmware version is 1.0.0.16_1.0.34 - I know there is one newer version availalble.

When I use the auto detect, I get 2 ip addresses. Under Router's IPv6 Address On WAN (shows up as DHCP), i get 2001:558:6033:12c:4826:c578:28c:cc71/64

Then I also have a IPv6 IP for the router on the LAN side.
2601:d:8b80:bf:22e5:2aff:fe1c:4f6b/64

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Looks normal to me.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

I would agree that looks good..
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

Ok, so not sure what the issue was, but after turning the IPv6 back on to get the info, it seems everything is happy today - tried multiple sites including the trouble ones from last night, and all of them open just fine. Thanks to all for the help!

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to chipb0i

Premium Member

to chipb0i
Sure, make sure you do trace routes next time. The more data we have the easier we can troubleshoot issues.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to chipb0i

Premium Member

to chipb0i
said by chipb0i:

Ok, so not sure what the issue was, but after turning the IPv6 back on to get the info, it seems everything is happy today - tried multiple sites including the trouble ones from last night, and all of them open just fine. Thanks to all for the help!

When your IPv6 connectivity started working, did the IPv6 addresses change from what you originally saw? With my Netgear WNR1000v2 (which is on Comcast's approved list), I lose IPv6 throughput at least once a week. The router's WAN and LAN IPv6 addresses do not change, but there is no actual LAN-WAN IPv6 connectivity. If I reboot the router, both the WAN and LAN IPv6 addresses change, and IPv6 connectivity is restored. It appears as if Comcast is changing the IP addresses that are associated with that router on their end, but my router is not receiving the notification, and therefore doesn't change anything on my end (until I reboot the router).

My D-Link DIR655 (which is also on Comcast's approved list) did not used to have that symptom, but lately it has randomly started behaving similarly (but not as often as the Netgear WNR1000v2).
chipb0i
Schaumburg, IL

chipb0i

I didn't pay enough attention the first night to the IPv6 address I got to compare it to the one I got yesterday. So far no disconnections. I can say that I still have the same IP from yesterday though.