spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

agmattas

join:2008-12-02

Bring Your Own Modem?

My house is wired fully with Cat-5 so I'm putting a rack in my basement and with that want to either use a Cisco/Juniper/Netgear integrated services router.

Does Cincinnati Bell allow this or do I have to use their crappy Fioptics modems?

wsmith06

join:2005-02-28
Hebron, KY
said by agmattas:

My house is wired fully with Cat-5 so I'm putting a rack in my basement and with that want to either use a Cisco/Juniper/Netgear integrated services router.

Does Cincinnati Bell allow this or do I have to use their crappy Fioptics modems?

Wondering the same thing - or at least a way to put the modem into Bridge mode.

agmattas

join:2008-12-02
Well you wouldn't have to put the modem into Bridge mode you could just plug in your other router's/switch WAN port into the CincyBell one and turn off NAT & DHCP and allow the CincyBell router to act as the DHCP/NAT server.

But that's less than ideal.

CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH
reply to agmattas
The equipment depends on whether you are getting FTTN or FTTH. If it is FTTN you can place the ZyXel in bridge mode or you could use a VDSL modem for say a Cisco ISR though they aren't cheap!

wsmith06

join:2005-02-28
Hebron, KY
Thanks @CelticComms and @Agmattas. Any equipment you could suggest would be greatly appreciated. We are only using Fioptics for internet. The issue I am having specifically is with setting up a VPN server and security cams. All get stuck at the modems/routers (ZTE) Web interface. Which seems highly unsafe given anyone can then interface with it. I've tried opening ports setting my personal router, with a static IP in the DMZ, but nothing seems to work. This was all very easy when I had InsightBB so wondering why CinciBell would be so much harder to modify... e.g. punch a hole in to get services in and out.

CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH
I think I posted a link to a ZTE manual which described bridge mode in an earlier thread. PM me if you are unclear how to get the ZTE into bridge mode.