TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

maybe the trick is unlimited 6 meg dsl plus 20meg 150gig cable.. dual wireless routers.. switch between the two for simple surfing and for all the heavy stuff use the dsl to keep costs down.

I dunno. *shrug*

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

maybe the trick is unlimited 6 meg dsl plus 20meg 150gig cable.. dual wireless routers.. switch between the two for simple surfing and for all the heavy stuff use the dsl to keep costs down.
I dunno. *shrug*

You're prepared to support something like that?

Can't say it isn't creative, that's for sure.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

LOL.. well, it's two separate lines.. that's how I have it setup at my place.. I've got a SkyFi wireless, DSL, ADSL and Cable.. plus my 3G cell/ipad... I ain't goin' offline!

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I recall there was some talk of bonding a cable and a DSL line a while back by someone a couple of years ago.

If you guys could get something like that going, a lot of people might jump on that if they can't get more than 6 on DSL.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

LOL.. well, it's two separate lines.. that's how I have it setup at my place.. I've got a SkyFi wireless, DSL, ADSL and Cable.. plus my 3G cell/ipad... I ain't goin' offline!

At my store we have DSL, are about to get cable installed and have a Wind Mobile data stick.

Screw secondary redundancy. Tertiary or bust!

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

haha xactly!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

I recall there was some talk of bonding a cable and a DSL line a while back by someone a couple of years ago.

If you guys could get something like that going, a lot of people might jump on that if they can't get more than 6 on DSL.

It was a pet project of CanerisErik back when he was still working at Caneris, I think.

There is a lot of stuff in that space though. I believe most of the Linux based router firmwares are capable of failover and load balancing if you want to dig really deep. Meanwhile there is pfsense. If anybody wants to help me out with pfsense I'd be very appreciative--it has been one of those projects that never really gets started for something like 6 months now....

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Marc

MVM

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

You could always just get 8x6 ADSL with MLPPP so that you can get 48/8 DSL :P

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, but then he wouldn't have the network redundancy that utilizing different connection methods provides

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

that does sound like fun though

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

sigh, it does. Yes it does.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

its time to build your own network. if you keep on relying on rogers/bell/cogeco/shaw/telus/videotron network they are going to bankrupt you with the capacity based billing charges ....

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz

MVM

said by MJB33:

its time to build your own network. if you keep on relying on rogers/bell/cogeco/shaw/telus/videotron network they are going to bankrupt you with the capacity based billing charges ....

Thank you for volunteering the ten billion dollars required to accomplish this. I would have preferred you spend it on a highspeed rail connection between Montreal and Toronto, but I'll settle for you funding a new last-mile for TekSavvy.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah no shit.

Seriously though, I've considered a dedicated P2P wireless link with one of the local WISPs here in town, believe me.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Such things work for so few people, however. If I wanted to do this, the only realistic approach would be to convince my building management to let me install the antenna on the roof of the highrise (to connect to somebody like skynet), and then to hook into the building's existing ethernet network (which runs down each corridor but not into apartments) and then reconfigure their wireless routers to enable full-speed access to anybody who subscribes to skynet...

The current "free wifi" in my building uses very expensive 802.11n enterprise routers on each floor, but they run everything (250 apartments) through a single videotron cable line, and they throttle per-user speeds heavily to keep things running.

That actually bodes well for if they ever want to deploy Fibe FTTH, though. Bell Aliant's guides for deployment in MDUs gives the example of using existing building infrastructure if possible, and running ethernet down building corridors so they can drill a hole into each apartment to get service in is one example they give. It's far cheaper to do that than try to pull fiber or ethernet through the telephone conduits. Since my building already has the ethernet infrastructure that passes each apartment (on one side of the corridor, at least), they could leverage that.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, we own our own commercial property and the neighbouring residential building. We have no restrictions or limits on what we can do short of municipal bylaws.