Java 7 Update 17 and 6 Update 43

Java 7 Update 17 and 6 Update 43

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 recommendations

Should I even bother? Tomorrow or next week another update will follow no doubt.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Well if you have high-speed internet you can get it before it's updated again
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

Let's rebuild Java from the ground up.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

And/or burn it down

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Mister_E

Another week, another update.

Sisyphus.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Mister_E

Not again !

»blogs.oracle.com/security/entry/···013_1493
»www.oracle.com/technetwork/topic···081.html
»www.java.com/en/download/help/di···wser.xml

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to Mister_E

Worse than Adobe, MS, etc. :O

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Why do we even need the current Java?

Why or what potential is there to rebuild Java, and do we have the ability to do it so it's effective, needed, and secure?
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

said by Blogger:

Why do we even need the current Java.

Why or what potential is there to rebuild Java, and do we have the ability to do it so its effective, needed, and secure?

Good points... I use it for LibreOffice (however I've read it can now work without it), FrostWire, Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 and Arcsoft Total Media Theatre 6. There are also the online Java speed tests that I find provide a more accurate representation than their flash counterparts. Right now, I still have a small use for it.

Every time I reinstall the latest version of Java I see that message about how "BILLIONS" (maybe it's millions?) of applications and hardware utilize Java. So it might be worth while re-building it in that respect .
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Mister_E

The most disturbing thing about all the java holes is all the little java powered network appliances that never get updated... bluray players... ice boxes... etc.

I can only imagine how many of these devices are now backdoors into various networks.

scottp99

join:2010-12-11

In order to prevent this, all website developers or application programers have to be convinced that Java is NOT at all safe.
If programmers and website developers will not write their code that requires Java, than all would be fine. But this will be impossible to do though...

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mister_E

That's it I'm uninstalling Java from kids laptops and my old desktop. I'm only going to keep it on my main desktop and my laptop. I'm getting tire of all these updates. Watch before the week is up Flash will need to be updated again!!!!!
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

It's possible you don't, in which case don't load it. But I run programs that need it, so I do.

Or am I just supposed to stop working to please you?

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

said by goalieskates:

said by Blogger:

It's possible you don't, in which case don't load it. But I run programs that need it, so I do.

Or am I just supposed to stop working to please you?

Please note the question mark at the end of my last comment as opposed to a period or exclamation point.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to Mister_E

Thanks for the update Mister_E See Profile.

I've downloaded the update, but I'm not installing unless I absolutely have to. I've went almost a month now and haven't needed JAVA yet and hope it stays that way!

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to Mister_E

Unfortunately I had to reinstall it on my old desktop since MP3 Rocket needs Java.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Mister_E

Just read there is another nasty issue with Java: It does not check for revoked digital security certificates.

quote:
Thanks, Oracle: New Java malware protection undone by old-school attack
»arstechnica.com/security/2013/03···-attack/

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

said by andyross:

Just read there is another nasty issue with Java: It does not check for revoked digital security certificates.

quote:
Thanks, Oracle: New Java malware protection undone by old-school attack
»arstechnica.com/security/2013/03···-attack/

ROFL, why is this kind of sloppy crap coding being allowed? Sheesh! Oracle, get with it.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Mister_E

I keep it updated, but disabled.

I've been checking this thread everyday since it was posted to see if there's yet ANOTHER update since the the post was made. Pretty sad.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
reply to Mister_E

Do i need it?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mister_E

Java has become a clown circus combined with a whack-a-mole game... every week a new security patch, every week (at least) a new exploit. If Java's truly needed for other software, Dustyn See Profile is spot on: Java ought to be rebuilt from the ground up!
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville