spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cp

@charter.com

Customer Owned Modem after Promo expires.

I have a question for anyone who recently has gone "off promo" with a customer owned modem. I moved a few months ago, and tried to get a Charter modem then just to get the whole issue over with but they refused to give it to me without making me pay the rental fee. Now my modem is cutting up, if I buy a new modem myself can I activate a new "customer owned modem" and if I do what will happen when my promo period expires next April? Will I then have to start paying Charter modem rental every month?

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

Try going to »install.charter.com and look at your choices.
You will need your account number.
It needs to be a DOCSIS 3 modem. SB6121 is a good one and charter also uses this one themselves.

haggelz

join:2010-07-04
Glendale, CA
reply to cp

I highly recommend the Ubee U10C035. It has been more rock solid than any Motorola i've owned and no firmware issues like the sb6120/sb5100/zoom modems

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to cp

FWIW, Newegg has the SB6121 for $67 this week.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to cp

Charter will supply a modem (pricing doesn't apply) if needed, you will simply be charged the modem rental fee. Or you can use your own, although whether you get to keep it after your promo rate ends varies by area/region.
--
Google is your Friend

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
reply to cp

The insight that I can provide is that once your promo is up Charter won't let you keep your own modem. They wouldn't let me keep my 6120 on their network once my promo was up. I also downgraded my service from 100/5 to 30/4, so not sure if that has anything to do with having to use a Charter modem. If you want to shell out nearly $70 for a new one then be prepared to take the risk of not getting it activated on their network. Some have succeeded and others like me have failed. I guess you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

You CAN continue to use your own modem IF you remain on your current tier, even AFTER the promo runs out. The only way this changes is if you change the tier you are on...If YOU initiate NO changes to your services...the customer can continue to use their owned modem and even activate a new owned modem.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

Exactly what I was told by my local office!

said by 15444104:

You CAN continue to use your own modem IF you remain on your current tier, even AFTER the promo runs out. The only way this changes is if you change the tier you are on...If YOU initiate NO changes to your services...the customer can continue to use their owned modem and even activate a new owned modem.

cp

@charter.com
reply to cp

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm on the Ultra tier... what would be the best modem to buy to "future proof" myself? I currently have the 6120. If I'm going to buy something I want to make sure it has the capability to handle future speed increases.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15

The good news for me is I will be able to return my Charter modem and begin using my new Centurylink DSL connection by next week. I got sick of Charter playing games with me on pricing and the rent vs own modem stuff. I got a guaranteed 12 month agreement at $39/Month with speeds of 20/1. I am more than willing to give up speeds to eliminate dealing with Charter's wacked out ways of doing business. Looking forward to consistent speeds at night for a change. Good luck to all of you on your future issues with this company. Hopefully they can improve before they sink into non-existence. My feeling is they won't and will continue to lose customers.

Premium

@Ryan818:

Hold the door for me, I'll be right behind you if Charter doesn't reintroduce the 15/3 tier as an official offering at a reduced price compared to the 30/5 plan.

Supposedly CSRs have been rumoring that lower priced level of service will return because many customers were complaining about the high prices and lack of speed choices and the company may be forced to change things a bit.

If there is NO lower priced offering by Charter come the end of this month I will be leaving for ATT basic DSL at about 30/mo after promo price of 15/mo for 6 months runs out. I can afford 30/mo...that's about it.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to cp

I just downgraded from 100/5 to 30/4 because they unceremoniously, and without warning, jacked up the price 1/2 way through my 2 year agreement.
I'm now "freeballing it" on the 30/4 plan at standard price month to month.
There was no mention of my modem (I own it).

Charter works in mysterious ways. About the only thing that is certain with Charter these days is whatever changes are made, it will never be to your benefit.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Premium

The thought of that sneering face of CEO Tom Rutledge makes me think of this :

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc

We must inform greedy, obnoxious, and customer UNfriendly Tom, we will NOT pay for his daily helicopter rides between his office and home.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to cp

Well as I said good luck to everyone who currently has a customer owned modem. Who knows Charter could change their opinion on customer modems overnight and not allow them. It is simply their discretion. I guess the good news is you can always sell them on Craigslist or Ebay and make a few dollars like I plan to. There was far too much inconsistency on Charter's end for me to stay. When you get a quote for multiple prices and scenarios each time you call in, it begins to get really old. I lost all trust in Charter.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit
reply to Ryan818

Hold the phone! What kind of speed plans do they have? Are you getting the fastest one? Every time I go to the website. They only offer the 1 extremely slow tier. Maybe they upgraded and I need to call? I will cancel to and go with them if they have the same plan you are getting or faster.

**EDIT**

Oh you are so going to love this and how screwed I am! My address still comes up with only 1.5Mbps/896Kbps as a choice with CenturyLink. Now if I put my old address in. Which I literally moved just on the other side of my old street. I have 4 choices.

1.5mb
7mb
12mb
20mb

FML I am pissed! I would drop Charter in 2 seconds. This makes me so sad now.

said by Ryan818:

The good news for me is I will be able to return my Charter modem and begin using my new Centurylink DSL connection by next week. I got sick of Charter playing games with me on pricing and the rent vs own modem stuff. I got a guaranteed 12 month agreement at $39/Month with speeds of 20/1. I am more than willing to give up speeds to eliminate dealing with Charter's wacked out ways of doing business. Looking forward to consistent speeds at night for a change. Good luck to all of you on your future issues with this company. Hopefully they can improve before they sink into non-existence. My feeling is they won't and will continue to lose customers.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Either Centurylinks website is as inaccurate as Charters usually is or they have the makings of some shady dealings also, if you could possibly believe that?!

Sounds like you better call multiple times and MAYBE get lucky enough to get a hold of some one that really knows what's going on, speed wise and location wise.

FWIW,
I was able to keep my own modem when upgrading from the 15/3 plan to the 30/4 and was not on any promotional crap thing, but I did it through the Direct forum. I was then told that ANY change I make to my plan would cause me to have to give up my modem.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

1 edit
reply to cp

said by cp :

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm on the Ultra tier... what would be the best modem to buy to "future proof" myself? I currently have the 6120. If I'm going to buy something I want to make sure it has the capability to handle future speed increases.

The 6120 is good for around 150Mbps down and 100Mbps up so, personally, I wouldn't be concerned with "future proof" until the time comes you actually need a modem capable of more.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Yeah,
When was the last time you heard any mention of Charter going to 8 channels bonding down and 4 channel bonding up?
--
The Firefox alternative.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

As mentioned above, this still varies by region. When my promo ended, I downgraded from the 100mbps to the 30mbps package. I was not required to get a new modem from them(I own a moto 6120).

In fact, when I look at my bill, it still mentions I have a customer owned modem.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to cork1958

Well I called and she doubled checked our house/area. They only offer the slowest tier. She said upgrades just happen if they choose and had no idea if/when it might happen. I have been here 3 years now and nothing yet. All I can do is hope!

passerby

@charter.com
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

Yeah,
When was the last time you heard any mention of Charter going to 8 channels bonding down and 4 channel bonding up?

You only need 4 bonded downstreams for 150 Meg.

yeahwhatever

@myvzw.com

said by passerby :

said by cork1958:

Yeah,

Docsis 3.0 has a max bitrate of 152 Mbps with 4 channels. Thats theorhetical though not real world. If they could offer more than 125 Mbps on 4 channels Id be surprised.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to passerby

said by passerby :

said by cork1958:

Yeah,

Yeah,
But wasn't there rumors of 300Meg download from Charter, on here even, a while back? Not positive, but I think I saw that.
--
The Firefox alternative.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

Well I called and she doubled checked our house/area. They only offer the slowest tier. She said upgrades just happen if they choose and had no idea if/when it might happen. I have been here 3 years now and nothing yet. All I can do is hope!

Verizon/Frontier was the same way here for quite some time. When I tried them for a 2 year period, they had just upped their speeds to a whopping 7.1/768 in my area. That's been almost 3 years ago now. I know you're accustomed to much more speed than that, but for what I do most of the time, that was OK. I think I was on Charters 5Meg or 10Meg plan at that time, so wasn't that much of a difference.

I guess you're just in the position of you have to do what you have to do, and live with it, due to no competition!

That is not meant as any type wise crack either.
--
The Firefox alternative.

anon90210

@sc.us
reply to nunya

Same topic.. new question. Right now I'm almost at the end of my 1st year of a 2 year agreement. Here is what my bill looks like. Assuming I keep my current service and make no changes, does this mean the max I will pay for Ultra after my promo expires is $109?

And reading from what the replies to the OP are... I should be allowed to keep using my own modem?

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

My understanding is we can keep our modem if we make no changes in our service; otherwise it's questionable, judging by all the posts here. Since your modem is working on their highest level of service, I don't think you should have a problem.

However, that Ultra 100 tier price is subject to change at any time, but hopefully not often. The basic internet service charge of $55 is supposed to remain the same.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to anon90210

If the following assumptions are true (at least for sake of discussion),

1. 24 month price promo runs out.
2. Charter does not change the basic Internet Service rate.
3. You don't change your Internet service to any other package.

then I'd expect your Internet portion to be $109.99.

And, yes, if you don't make any changes other than letting the promo expire there will be no changes to your modem situation.

christy

@charter.com
reply to cp

Charter does not charge for their modem anymore. They state it is included in the price now. My contract just ran out last month. I have my owner personal motorola modem and use that and have no issues.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to cp

Thanks to the info in the second post, I just picked up an SB6121 and installed it myself in just a couple of minutes. Works great. Peak speed is much faster than my old DOCSIS 2.0 model. Thanks for the tip, lineofsight.

form1040

join:2010-10-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to cp

I am on the new pricing, and yet somehow I'm still using the same SB6120 I bought and put on my account in July 2010. Nobody said a word about it when I switched to the new internet pricing.

I was on a 2 year contract for TV & internet, but dropped TV as we didn't watch it enough to justify the price. After canceling the TV and breaking the contract, I learned I'd be on the $47.99/month 15/3 plan.

At that point I asked to be put on the current 30/4 pricing.

I did this all in person at a Charter office in St Louis. It took 30 seconds for the clerk to change my price plan and no mention was made at all about my modem. I asked for the new internet pricing, she clicked a couple things on her screen, and that was it.

I don't know what happened, but clearly the no-customer-modem policy is not strictly enforced.