spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

passerby

@charter.com
reply to cork1958

Re: Customer Owned Modem after Promo expires.

said by cork1958:

Yeah,
When was the last time you heard any mention of Charter going to 8 channels bonding down and 4 channel bonding up?

You only need 4 bonded downstreams for 150 Meg.

yeahwhatever

@myvzw.com

said by passerby :

said by cork1958:

Yeah,
When was the last time you heard any mention of Charter going to 8 channels bonding down and 4 channel bonding up?

Docsis 3.0 has a max bitrate of 152 Mbps with 4 channels. Thats theorhetical though not real world. If they could offer more than 125 Mbps on 4 channels Id be surprised.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to passerby

said by passerby :

said by cork1958:

Yeah,

Yeah,
But wasn't there rumors of 300Meg download from Charter, on here even, a while back? Not positive, but I think I saw that.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

Well I called and she doubled checked our house/area. They only offer the slowest tier. She said upgrades just happen if they choose and had no idea if/when it might happen. I have been here 3 years now and nothing yet. All I can do is hope!

Verizon/Frontier was the same way here for quite some time. When I tried them for a 2 year period, they had just upped their speeds to a whopping 7.1/768 in my area. That's been almost 3 years ago now. I know you're accustomed to much more speed than that, but for what I do most of the time, that was OK. I think I was on Charters 5Meg or 10Meg plan at that time, so wasn't that much of a difference.

I guess you're just in the position of you have to do what you have to do, and live with it, due to no competition!

That is not meant as any type wise crack either.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

anon90210

@sc.us
reply to nunya

Same topic.. new question. Right now I'm almost at the end of my 1st year of a 2 year agreement. Here is what my bill looks like. Assuming I keep my current service and make no changes, does this mean the max I will pay for Ultra after my promo expires is $109?

And reading from what the replies to the OP are... I should be allowed to keep using my own modem?

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

My understanding is we can keep our modem if we make no changes in our service; otherwise it's questionable, judging by all the posts here. Since your modem is working on their highest level of service, I don't think you should have a problem.

However, that Ultra 100 tier price is subject to change at any time, but hopefully not often. The basic internet service charge of $55 is supposed to remain the same.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to anon90210

If the following assumptions are true (at least for sake of discussion),

1. 24 month price promo runs out.
2. Charter does not change the basic Internet Service rate.
3. You don't change your Internet service to any other package.

then I'd expect your Internet portion to be $109.99.

And, yes, if you don't make any changes other than letting the promo expire there will be no changes to your modem situation.

christy

@charter.com
reply to cp

Charter does not charge for their modem anymore. They state it is included in the price now. My contract just ran out last month. I have my owner personal motorola modem and use that and have no issues.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to cp

Thanks to the info in the second post, I just picked up an SB6121 and installed it myself in just a couple of minutes. Works great. Peak speed is much faster than my old DOCSIS 2.0 model. Thanks for the tip, lineofsight.

form1040

join:2010-10-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to cp

I am on the new pricing, and yet somehow I'm still using the same SB6120 I bought and put on my account in July 2010. Nobody said a word about it when I switched to the new internet pricing.

I was on a 2 year contract for TV & internet, but dropped TV as we didn't watch it enough to justify the price. After canceling the TV and breaking the contract, I learned I'd be on the $47.99/month 15/3 plan.

At that point I asked to be put on the current 30/4 pricing.

I did this all in person at a Charter office in St Louis. It took 30 seconds for the clerk to change my price plan and no mention was made at all about my modem. I asked for the new internet pricing, she clicked a couple things on her screen, and that was it.

I don't know what happened, but clearly the no-customer-modem policy is not strictly enforced.