uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

W7 - adjusting the quick launch icons

Is there a way through GPO or registry to remove IE and Windows Media Player from any new user profiles?

Is there a way to inject other icons there as well?

There is a lot of mixed information out there it seems.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

If you right click in the Quick Launch you should have the option to Unpin the icon I believe. I got the Quick Launch to work on my old work PC but having issues moving it to the place I want on my home machine.

Adding a shortcut should be nothing more than moving a shortcut to the Quick Launch or dragging the exe to the Quick Launch bar.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Yes but how would you do that in let's say a lab setting? It's being drawn from a default profile (which you can't edit like you could in XP).

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Click for full size
D'OH - sorry about that... The Quick Launch folder is at: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

I can't imagine that this could not be preloaded with or items removed. As to how that is done - not real sure as the Quick Launch bar would have to be 'added' to the tool bars (which is the only thing I really hate about Win7). I don't get why they removed this toolbar.

User Pinned and the root of the Quick Launch seem to be the important ones.

One site for XP though mentioned that adding the Quick Launch to the Default User would create the toolbar when the user first logged in.

For all others - this might help:
»www.techrepublic.com/forum/discu···0-192426
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

XP doesn't matter and there are no existing profiles. Looking to adjust the template where the data is pulled from.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

The Default User is a standard profile in Windows from at least XP to Win 7 Pro and likely Win 8.

The link for the script looks like it would work fine for Win 7 - just correct the path - it might take some playing around.

If the Default User is not in the install then something is wrong with the install imho. There should be several user profiles created when installing a Windows OS.

I don't think there is a 'template' for the Quick Launch other than the ones posted already. The profiles are set up with it already in the locations needed.
--
Brian

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

The only thing that shows up is Show desktop and Switch between windows.

No idea where IE and WMP is coming from.

Actually... is there a way to just disable that whole area and just have a start button? Do desktop for links? There has to be
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

I have Media Player and IE also in C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

I did not add Media Player or IE to my quick launch.
--
Brian

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm concerned about the default profile, not about user level.

Those icons are injected from somewhere into the user level. I want to prevent that from occurring.

You have the global template and whatever generates the user. I want to manipulate it.

However I don't think it's easy to do in Windows 7 so I'll just explode the entire bar.

XP was so much easier to configure profiles. 50 fold.
--