uniqs
Severas
join:2007-01-17
North York, ON

Severas

Connection Repeatedly Drops, DNS Issue?

Hello all,

I'm in the Richmond Hill area.

I have my SMC set as a bridge, and I'm using Linksys router with Tomato flashed onto it.

Past few days I've been having connection issues and it consistently drops. When checking for "errors" it says a primary DNS issue. I've changed the DNS via Ipv4 on my wireless adapter and on my router in Tomato in Basic -> Network -> LAN and setting the first 2 tabs with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.. and it still drops?

No idea how to fix this. Need some help!

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

No, it's not a DNS issue. Where you are seeing primary DNS issue, what it's telling you is that it can't reach the DNS servers for whatever you're trying to do, because there's a dropped connection.

Call Rogers
wysiwyg1972
join:2006-11-05
Toronto, ON

wysiwyg1972

I was having the same issue as you. Some sites such as Digitalhome.ca and HowardForums took forever to load. I was using the google DNS on my router. Rebooted router, PC, same issue. No malware on my PC. Here on DSLReports, the side ads would not load (stating a DNS issue). I removed the google DNS from my router and reset my connection. Things seem fine for now. I don't really like using Rogers' own DSN servers though.. I hope they don't block Google DNS as this would be a major violation and I would cancel right away.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

wysiwig, that's NOT the same issue ... you weren't suffering disconnections like the OP.
Albo
join:2013-02-21
Etobicoke, ON

Albo to Severas

to Severas
I Also have the SMC router/modem. Had to get it for the unlimited usage add-on and for the 1st week i had the same issue at random times windows said DNS server something lol but it just randomly fixed itself.
Gary W
join:2003-12-31

Gary W to Severas

to Severas
Rogers Internet has been up and down for me over the past few days. It's up for 10 minutes and down for 1 minute, for instance.
Severas
North York, ON

Severas

Well, I've called Rogers Tech Support twice, and one suggested that power to my modem is going on n off... I unplugged it to temporarily fix it, and my internet suddenly works again. A few hours later, problem reappears and my connections drops repeatedly. I call in again, and they say that replacing my modem might fix my issue.. of course it just fixes it temporarily.

Unplugging my modem and it resets, my internet works fine. After a couple/few hours, connection is gone.

I guess I need a tech over or something, because everytime I call, my internet works fine after I unplug the modem and then they settle the ticket. I hope I don't have to pay for their service if it somehow works because he unplugs it, and doesn't fix anything on their side.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

Log into your SMC by going to 192.168.0.1 and check the signal page (Status-->Cable Status) and post the signal stats here.
Severas
North York, ON

Severas

I'm at school right now, because I wasn't able to stay online long enough at home to post this lol. I'll get back to you around 4-5 PM or so.

Also, I've switched to the Hitron modem, and I've bridged the device to get a better signal. I wouldn't be able to access the modem anymore without Rogers resetting my device right?
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by Severas:

I'm at school right now, because I wasn't able to stay online long enough at home to post this lol. I'll get back to you around 4-5 PM or so.

Also, I've switched to the Hitron modem, and I've bridged the device to get a better signal. I wouldn't be able to access the modem anymore without Rogers resetting my device right?

Hold the reset button for 10-30seconds and it will reboot and then you can access it again and check the signal page, you don't have to call rogers to reset it. (The reset button is near the USB Port, use a toothpick or paperclip to press it.)
Severas
North York, ON

Severas

said by technocar2:

Hold the reset button for 10-30seconds and it will reboot and then you can access it again and check the signal page, you don't have to call rogers to reset it.

Alright, thanks! I'll get back to you when I can!