spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Quickguide01

join:2013-02-14

Wireless Router G vs N Speed Question

I currently have a linksys wrt54g router for many many years already.

My linksys wrt54g is still pretty good for my laptop that works good with the wireless. However, when i download something big. it rarely goes over 200kbps on the laptop to download something. But when i download something on my desktop it always goes at least 500kbps. Sometimes it goes 800kbps and 1mbps when downloading when im looking at the download speed when its downloading. I'm not sure if my letters are right with the kbps or mbps but i think you know what i mean.

Is this b/c my desktop is wired which is why download speed is so fast?

Also is it because my linksys router is a G router which is why it would never go like the speed of my desktop? I mean sometimes it does go 500kbps when downloading a big 100mb file but its rare and speed always goes back to between 100-200 kbps.

If one uses an N router on my laptop when downloading... would i see downloading speed go as fast as my desktop?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

In short. You will never see the same speeds as a wired connection. And it will always be more reliable. G is slower then N. N you will see more speed.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

reply to Quickguide01

In general, what KoRnGtL15 See Profile say is exactly true.

But it's not that simple. If others nearby are trying to use the same band all bets are off. Are you miles from neighbors or in an apartment? THAT can make all the difference in the world.

And... besides "N" you might gain from the usually-less-crowded 5GHz band. Something to consider. Only YOU know your environment... WE can only guess.

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

I'll add that if your laptop is not equipped with a "N" rated wireless device, getting a "N" rated router will do you no good.

Quickguide01

How would i know if laptop is equipped with N rated wireless device?

Its an inspiron 5110.

This is what it shows for wireless adapter.

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter
DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

The Dell Wireless 1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card adapter works on the 2.4GHz band ONLY. It is a card that supports b/g/n wireless networks.

Quickguide01

Does that mean if i get an N router that supports 5ghz, then its useless for this laptop?

Assuming i get an N router... would that be faster speed than the currently linksys wrt54g router i have now?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

If you want the fastest wireless speeds. Get a new dual band router that does 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz N. You would need a new card or usb stick for 5.0ghz N since it seems yours only support 2.4ghz right now. The current router you have is a really old ancient beast. You will see better through put from updated technology. Back in the day I had a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 That thing was awesome and lasted forever. I also ran 3rd party firmware on it. Tomato to be exact. Now I have a Linksys E4200 v1 for the last 2 years and it has been just as good.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 recommendations

reply to Quickguide01

said by Quickguide01:

Does that mean if i get an N router that supports 5ghz, then its useless for this laptop?

Assuming i get an N router... would that be faster speed than the currently linksys wrt54g router i have now?

Yes and no. It will be slower as your Wi-Fi card is older.
The router will have to support the 2.4Ghz band to work with your Wi-Fi card. A router that supports 2GHz/5GHZ will work on your laptop, but the Wi-Fi card is not dual band. It's single band. Meaning, you have to use the 2.4GHz band running b/g/n.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP