how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

waterfire

join:2005-12-04
Cape Coral, FL

really weird issues...

So I just got back from a 3 week trip. I tried to get on, but was without internet. My modem is bridged to my own wireless router. My router was unable to pull an IP, so I called. After being passed to 2nd tier I was asked what the mac address for my modem and router. Somehow a "alien" mac address was pulling an IP for my account. They cannot explain how an unknown MAC address had access. They cant tell me anything or explain how it happened. They cleared it up in about 10 mins once they got the network people involved.

Also, I made a call afterwards to a family member, there is a faint beeping noise every 3 to 5 seconds.

njt462

join:2006-11-28
Troy, MO

The beeping noise you are being tapped by really old equipment like by your city police department or county sheriff's department something low tech without the goodies or budget of the big boy feds are taping your line thus the strange MAC address they were going through your internet files etc.

I would ask your local police department or sheriffs dept if they are tapping you and why if you do not want to go that route if you have a lawyer friend have them send a letter to Centurylink on their legal letter head stating / demanded they tell their client if they are being tapped and release what department.

waterfire

join:2005-12-04
Cape Coral, FL
reply to waterfire

the beeping was the phone itself. The battery is dying. It says a full charge, but only lasts a short time. The issue also disappeared completely.

As for the rogue MAC address...CL has no idea.

If my phone is tapped I hope they like my mom talking with her sister and me talking with my sister. The conversations are boring. I am not worried either way, as I know I haven't broken any laws.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to waterfire

Floria Law: "Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03."

"In addition to subjecting you to criminal prosecution, violating the Florida wiretapping law can expose you to a civil lawsuit for damages by an injured party."

»www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/florida···ding-law
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to njt462

said by njt462:

... thus the strange MAC address they were going through your internet files etc.

This rogue MAC address bit; all that the MAC address does, in this case, is to allow CPE to pull a public IP Address. Even if you could get my public IP address on your CPE, there is no way you could use it to "go through my Internet files".

Amazon seems to have you "covered":

»www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Foil-Def···81603762
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum