Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hbk5585

join:2013-03-04
West Hempstead, NY

New Optimum Vs. Fios

Hi,

I was a long time Optimum/CV customer, I switched to FiOS last year and the service was unbelievably better on FiOS. But, Cablevision knocked on our door this weekend asking us to come back. Originally, I said not a chance, but the rep told me that the new Optimum is completely different than the old. The new Optimum uses Fiber to the house like FiOS, with equivalent picture quality, a brand new guide and the ability to record 4 programs while watching a 5th Live. How true is all of this?!? How is the picture quality compared to FiOS? Any help would be great!!! Any recommendations on if I should stay with FiOS or try this new Optimum?

Thanks!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Fiber to the home = false
Brand new guide = true. Live on Samsung everywhere, and you may be in the 2nd group that they added for SA (unsure of that, so maybe not), but that's a bit more specific than needed.
Record x4 + watch TV = True with DVR+. You will not have the option to rent a SA8300 box to record to the box - the recordings are saved on Cablevision's servers. Same price & storage capacity, but can playback on multiple TVs.
Equivalent picture quality - I haven't had problems with PQ, but I haven't noticed a change. A bunch of additional HD channels were added when they went full-digital.

You have 8 downstream channels now, so that helps download capabilities by increasing total bandwidth.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Hbk5585

Just so you know DVR+ doesn't work right 99.999% of the time I have tried it.

I also had a Optium Account Exec knock at my door today, while he didn't lie to me and say CV Offered Fiber to the Home like fios, he did say that CV will match my deal and offer better services. He then looked over my bill and said "Ya know what we can't match your services" but he told me what he could offer me, I declined and before he left he got my mom a better deal on her account.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by HardwareGeek:

FALSE

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Oceanside, NY
reply to Hbk5585

I just left Optimum on Saturday after being with CV since 1996. FIOS Rocks; better picture, higher speeds, Multi TV DVR access. Good Deal 89.95 + Tax for two years; and no contractors!

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to Hbk5585

What new? We haven't seen anything new here.

Probably cause we can't have FIOS, either. No rush to stay up to date with other areas.

Lies

@optonline.net
reply to Hbk5585

Short answer: The CV rep LIED to you.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to dm145

Not false True, it hardly ever worked when I had CV and it barely works at my moms house. DVR+ sucks.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

Hbk5585

join:2013-03-04
West Hempstead, NY

That is so weird that the rep lied to me about the fiber to the home, he basically assured me that the line goes to the house just like Fios & they would install a box just like Verizon's. That is so odd that he would lie like that, he was very nice otherwise. The DVR+ does not surpise me, all new technology has problems, Fios' DVR & On Demand have their own problems. The only question remaining is picture quality, has it improved since the switch to the new guide/boxes? Or is it the same? I have a feeling I will be canceling my order with Cablevision & keeping my great deal with Fios.

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ
reply to Hbk5585

I have had both and the only real difference I see is FIOS has better upload speeds. If you need fast upload FIOS is better if not then choose by price.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

optimumtv

@myvzw.com

FIOS pq is not better. I have two of the same tv hooked up one on fios one on optimum. Optimum is much shaper. Fios is not as sharp but has deep color and contrast. I have swtich the tvs back and forth from fios and optimum to make sure it was not the tv. Fios has better channel grouping also.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage
reply to HardwareGeek

said by HardwareGeek:

Well, you must be the most optimistic, persistent person on earth. To try the service 100,000 with only one successful outcome shows extraordinary patience.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Hbk5585

said by Hbk5585:

Any recommendations on if I should stay with FiOS or try this new Optimum?

Welcome to DSLR!

Is there something you are unhappy about with FIOS? Why switch if you are happy with what you have?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to Hbk5585

said by Hbk5585:

That is so weird that the rep lied to me about the fiber to the home, he basically assured me that the line goes to the house just like Fios & they would install a box just like Verizon's.

That is weird. Why would any customer even care about fiber and the box outside? Most care about what they pay, and the services provided. And maybe the color of the remote.
--

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Hbk5585

QOS matters, especially internet if you have a 3rd party voip device. I usually don't bemoan service issues, but YMMV. For the last week having issues here with upstream and seems to be taking forever to fix.

Optimum is a hybrid fiber/coax system (the cable industry loves to claim & confuse this issue that they have fiber but it is not as robust a network overall as true dedicated fttp due to lack of investment). They most likely run fiber optics along the poles to the nodes-- most of which are right down the block from you, then run coax to a modem (or cable box).. The main physical difference w/ fiber is you get a terminal w/ battery backup stamped in-place of the old copper lines. THEN coax (in older ONT's it was Ethernet, but wound up being costly b/c non-hardened cheap Ethernet cables are easily broken & become faulty) delivers signal from the fiber terminal (which YOU pay to power in addition to the router) so.. the last dozen feet or couple of thousand feet usually make no difference until you have a problem & see which company is out there to fix it first.

Internet tiers are different. Verizon's are 15/5, 50/25 and 75/35 (150 & 300 mbit are available too). Optimum is 15/2, 50/8 and 101/15 (most likely you get slower upstream with cablevision for obvious reasons not related to docsis 3 technology- both companies COULD offer btw 75 to 100+ megabits upstream if they wanted to).

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to Hbk5585

said by Hbk5585:

I was a long time Optimum/CV customer, I switched to FiOS last year and the service was unbelievably better on FiOS. But, Cablevision knocked on our door this weekend asking us to come back. Originally, I said not a chance, but the rep told me that the new Optimum is completely different than the old. The new Optimum uses Fiber to the house like FiOS....

That would defy logic.

Was the sales rep saying that Optimum re-did the connections for every customer, during the past year.

If that had been true, there would have been massive publicity, and they would have emphasized it in their advertising. And there would have been huge numbers of torn-up lawns.

Even if it's only for new installs, Optimum surely would have bragged about it in their commercials....

I [am] grateful to Optimum because Verizon FiOS refuses to even connect our half of town, they did the other half and then left.

But that was a particularly bad Optimum sales rep that you ran into....because if someone is going to lie, they should take pride in doing a good job of it!

bobmay

join:2001-08-08
Trenton, NJ
reply to mack1951

I agree 100%. I just came back from Fios after being with them for about 5 years. Optimum picture is better and the downloads are the same but the price is the best part, for me anyway.

Comp625

join:2007-12-09
Stratford, CT
reply to Hbk5585

Too bad there are restrictions about only having 1 Telco provider in the area. AT&T U-Verse is vastly inferior to Cablevision in Fairfield County of Connecticut. I would LOVE to have FIOS come before Cablevision is sold to TWC, Comcast, etc. That way, enthusiasts can have broadband options where there aren't usage caps, etc.

andertrack

join:2013-03-22
reply to Hbk5585

We fell for the same lies when our contract with FIOS ended. We have had Optimum for four months and while the internet service is fine, the TV is horrible compared to FIOS. We get audio out of sync and artifacts pretty much daily.

The worst part of it is the old and the new guide. We have the new guide on our Samsung box and it is ok, but still terrible compared to FIOS guide.

On our SA DVR we have the old guide which has not been updated in 8+ years. The Optimum rep said that there would be a new guide within a few months but that was four months ago.

The icing on the cake is that they have no plans to offer a hardware multi room DVR (according to a rep I chatted with at OOL)

Going back to FIOS on their month to month plan and it is the same amount per month as OOL

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage

said by andertrack:

We fell for the same lies when our contract with FIOS ended.

said by andertrack:

Going back to FIOS on their month to month plan and it is the same amount per month as OOL

Welcome to DSLR.

What lies did they tell you that got you to switch to OOL?
--

rsang1981

join:2013-05-01
Bogota, NJ

I find it amazing the emphasis that is put on tv service. I had Fios for 6 months and never got the TV I was promised, got bounced around on the phone for months. Went back to Optimum and everything has been great since 2009. Optimum makes constant service improvements. Fios recently raised box prices, 911 charges, 411 charges even though they give guaranteed pricing with a contract.

gfunk27

join:2013-04-04
Middle Island, NY
reply to Lies

it is fibre to the pole which is essentially all fibre optic

manshow

join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC
reply to Comp625

said by Comp625:

Too bad there are restrictions about only having 1 Telco provider in the area. AT&T U-Verse is vastly inferior to Cablevision in Fairfield County of Connecticut. I would LOVE to have FIOS come before Cablevision is sold to TWC, Comcast, etc. That way, enthusiasts can have broadband options where there aren't usage caps, etc.

there are no restrictions to 1 telco provider in your area. a company can come in an overbuild but likely none will want to.

SixSpeed

join:2001-12-24
USA
reply to Hbk5585

said by Hbk5585:

Hi,

I was a long time Optimum/CV customer, I switched to FiOS last year and the service was unbelievably better on FiOS. But, Cablevision knocked on our door this weekend asking us to come back. Originally, I said not a chance, but the rep told me that the new Optimum is completely different than the old. The new Optimum uses Fiber to the house like FiOS, with equivalent picture quality, a brand new guide and the ability to record 4 programs while watching a 5th Live. How true is all of this?!? How is the picture quality compared to FiOS? Any help would be great!!! Any recommendations on if I should stay with FiOS or try this new Optimum?

Thanks!

They did the same thing to me. A "manager" knocked on our door at least 3 times over the last couple years. I was honest with him. I told him Verizon FiOS is so much better I wouldnt even pretend to be interested.

He sold me a line of BS about how they just invested all kinds of money into the infrasturcture in my area and blah blah blah........ The is no new Optimum. Even if there was their reliability was so poor I wouldnt risk it. They lost my entire street to FiOS.

Lies

@optonline.net
reply to gfunk27

said by gfunk27:

CV is NOT fiber to the pole. Anyone who says so is lying.

CV is fiber to the node.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to gfunk27

said by gfunk27:

This ^^^ is a lie

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage
reply to Hbk5585

In the words of our illustrious former secretary of state, "What difference does it make"?

It is 15/2, 30/5, 50/8, or 100/15 ethernet to you depending on your tier. Copper, glass, or tin cans and string - why does anyone care?
--

DarienRedSox

join:2013-02-10
Darien, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Comp625

said by Comp625:

I have found it to be the other way around, DVR plus is years behind AT&Ts DVR. Also CV can't seem to keep the equipment backed up on there end when the power goes out.

barepairs

join:2013-05-12
New York, NY
reply to Hbk5585

Back in 2009 I had a contractor team wire my building and from what I understood they never finished the job. Right now 2013 still no service available at my location. FiOS stop deploying service in Brooklyn or at list this is what I heard. It's possible I am incorrect but I see no updates on my request for years now.

mocsis

@optonline.net
reply to PoloDude

fiber to the pole/ fiber to the home....dont matter all ends in coax.....smh