uniqs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

[Laptop] My "repair" worked, but now, erm, DARN!

So I messed for a few days with an ACER Aspire 5100 that somebody dumped on my BIL over a year ago. They said "see what you can do with it, see if you have a use". BIL is a very busy guy and didn't have time to mess with it, so I inherited it. After a while I was able to get it to boot (after a fashion, fact is, the install was ruined, too many times running checkdisk, and no restore partition for some reason), but USB wouldn't work. I tried a Live Linux disk and USB still didn't work. I did some site reading and saw that this is a common problem with this model. One guy mentioned, out of hand, that maybe the cardbus could be used. I searched and saw that there are cardbus USB adapters, I ordered one.

When I got the card, it would boot with the card in it, but the very moment I plugged in a USB device, BSODs right and left. But I was undeterred, so I tried a Live disk, and sure enough, it was stable with a mouse and webcam plugged in.

So then I formatted and tried a version of windows, but not the original one. That worked too. But I wanted to be legit so I hunted for a restore disk. After getting help here and much fuss, I've gotten the legal OS working on it, and the USB cardbus works.

Now the person that offhandedly deserted the laptop suddenly wants it back, doesn't want to offer me anything, and shows no appreciation for what I did.

I don't plan on giving it back, they dumped it anyways, and weren't kind enough to offer me anything for what I did.

I am sending it to the Philippines to my fiancee there. She doesn't have ANYTHING nice, nothing, the poor girl deserves SOMETHING, and it would save us a fortune in communications.

I just wanted to mention that the cardbus solution worked, but the on board USB is still dead, and there is a limit to the power requirements of the cardbus. All I care about is having the USB webcam and a mouse work, and maybe being able to connect a thumb drive.

BTW, the person here is rich, and the guy offered to let me have the very computer several times, and then turned around and dumped it on my BIL. Every time he's ever done anything for me, its come with strings attached, often involving major physical tasks where he got a day's labor or more out of me for something like a few dollars groceries. Nothing is ever just "here you go". He uses his wealth as a way to hang things over me, so I don't feel guilty at all about this.

Do you agree with me? Of course, I can return it to him in more or less the condition he threw it away in. He didn't even offer to pay for the card. And he knows how poor I am. When something breaks, he just buys another, but the only things I've ever gotten were broken junk. Oh, and once he sold a car to me for 500 bucks that I was unable to repair and that he said "oh well".

Ever run into someone that you fixed their computer and they tried to exploit you? For something they threw away? What horror stories of people do you guys have?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

I've never had anyone try to exploit me in a long time, partly because I don't make it easy. To give you an idea the last person that tried to get one over on me ended up with some of this things burned in a fire and a broken nose bleeding profusely (long story ).

These days I am more civilized of course but if I'm going to fix something for someone I am going to do it at their house. They are going to buy the parts I request ahead of time, and they are going to feed me while I'm there. If they complain that I am taking too long (or eating too much) I remind them that my job pays me over $50/hour for work that is much more fun than tinkering with their junky old computers.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Next time, have it written down in ink and signed by both parties. While I don't enjoy being taken advantage of (or seeing other people receive the same treatment), I don't agree that you should keep it if the rightful owner asks for it back. However, I believe it is more than fair to ask for the expenses rendered to return the unit back to a working condition. If the owner refuses to pay for the expenses then I would consider that as his forfeiture of ownership of the item.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

First off:

He threw it away.

Second off:

He promised me three times that one day it would be my computer.

Third off:

He abandoned it for a year or maybe a year and a half, and never, not once, inquired about it.

Fourth off:

He said to BIL: See what you can get out of this, maybe you'll have a use for it.

Fifth off:

The guy has a complex about my relationship with a Filipina. He has a Pinoy GF once and not judges all of them based on her. He hates my girl but has NEVER even talked to her.

Sixth off:

He lied to me, said he was bringing me the computer to have, but they he dumped it at BIL's. Like every other promise he makes, they are just sadistic tempters to remind me that he has a rich wife and I have a poor wife. The guy hasn't held down a job in over 20 years, and he has an Ivy League degree. He strokes people so that they are willing to do things for him. He's a user

He GAVE my BIL the computer, he abandoned it, he is an Indian giver.

He only wanted it back because after all the money, MY money and hours of work, he suspected I'd give it to my needy beloved, and he hates her (she's the sweeties person you could ever meet.

If he wants it back in its present condition, I want a fee for the hardware that covers the time taken, the parts cost, the time off from work, the shipping cost, the price of the 4 OS disks I wasted to get a working copy. 10 hours work on it to get it where it is now, based on 15 dollars an hour

Or, he can have it back WITHOUT my repairs and hardware and no explanation of how he can fix it.

I've fed up with this guy. He is a liar and a cuckhold (he's a kept man).

He used deceit to get it repaired for free, expecting a free repair by offering to give it away but them demanding it back. When you throw something away and never again speak of it, it is no longer yours

He is NOT getting this back, and he owes me big for other things, too.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Honestly,

The guy sounds like an ass, give it to your fiancee.

If I leave something at someone else's house for over a year without checking or intending to re-claim it, I consider it property of the person who's been giving me free storage for however many years.

Next time, I'd refuse the hardware though, it's not your job to fix a bad purchase or thanklessly tire to see if the product is salvageable only to have it dubiously reclaimed at the last minute.

Keep the laptop, say no next time around.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
I agree, the dude sounds like a malignant narcissist of the highest order. More importantly, he gave the laptop away years ago. Send the laptop to your fiancee and lose not a wink of sleep over it. If I put a broken TV out on the curb for trash pickup, and a year later I discover that a guy down the street took it, fixed it and is now enjoying it in his living room, I'd be a tremendous cock if I asked for it back! Point is, you had the skill to fix the computer, he didn't. He didn't ask you to fix it, he gave it away in case it would be of any value to you (or your BIL, as the case may be).

Frankly, the fact that he doesn't like your fiancee would make sending the laptop to her all the more enjoyable!

Incidentally I hope things work out between you and your girl. My wife and I did the long-distance relationship thing a long time ago (she's Thai) after I met her in college overseas. It was difficult, but we finally got together and have been married 13 years!

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Personally, I'd give it back. He can prove ownership of it at the end of the day.

Is he an ass for what he did? Yes. And I would never ever help him out again with any tech stuff.

But at the end of the day, he can prove ownership.

If you want to be an ass back, wipe it clean and give it the way you found it.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Print out an invoice for parts and labor and submit it to him. Make sure it is enough for a comparable laptop on craigslist or ebay.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Gordo74

Premium Member

to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

If you want to be an ass back, wipe it clean and give it the way you found it.

I would in no way define that as being an ass. Frankly, if signmeuptoo94 See Profile decides to go that route, I'd undo the repair entirely and return the machine non-functional -- in the same condition in which he originally relinquished ownership of it. He paid for no repair, he gets no repair.

I'd still ship it to the Philippines. Then tell him if he wants it back, he's free to fly out there and try to find it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Thanks for the objective and wise input guys. My girl really hurts about how people assume things about her.

She doesn't own anything nice, just a pair of earrings and the clothes on her back. Everyone is an expert on relationships (even though their own are screwed up) and they assume way too much about her when they don't know jack.

Anyways, I will put yahoo messenger and skype on it, but I was wondering, though I have a very narrow budget, will the power block for laptops work in 220VAC @ 60 cycles?

What things do you recommend I send with it to her (computers there are 3 generations old and cost twice what the latest gen here cost, it's horrible!)

I am also sending my old mainboards and parts so she will have most of the parts to build a desktop, she'll just need a case. I still have to get a used HD and all the cables, keyboard, mouse, and monitor, which will all have to wait a month or so...

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

I still yet to see a laptop from the past 10 or 12 yrs, with a power adapter that's not multi-volt. It's meant to travel.
The plugs maybe different, but the adaptors should work (you can check the labels). And having said that, the plugs here should work in the Phil.

I would really like you to keep it and give it to her. But not knowing the guy, not sure how to proceed. He can make a big issue out of it, and make you a liar out of it. If it came to that, give it back in it's original condition if he doesn't want to pay for it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
I'd say "you can have it back for hardware + time + storage"

Then he'd find it cheaper to buy a new one than pay my fees.

(Ya if its not a good friend I charge ALOT per hour to help them)
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
For the power block, look carefully at the writing (if its intact)
Most I've seen say input 100-240v 50-60Hz

People that visit from our other offices often just borrow the cable that goes from the wall to the block (to avoid EU to US adapters)

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Yeah, my eyes are bad and I can't read the little labels. I did order a magnefier off ebay, waiting for it.

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

CovMac to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Anyways, I will put yahoo messenger and skype on it, but I was wondering, though I have a very narrow budget, will the power block for laptops work in 220VAC @ 60 cycles?

Answered a couple of days ago: »[Laptop] power blocks: Will a USA laptop power block work overs

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

rusdi to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
Mark, I used to fix folks computers, and I thought I charged a "fair" price, (usually the cost of parts+ $10.00, or $20.00, depending on how much I cut my hands, and curse words uttered).

Obviously I didn't do it to make a living, or even to supplement our income, jus' for something to do, and for a challenge.

Well, about a year ago, I replaced a burned out NIC card in an acquaintance desk-top, and when he called to check on progress, I told him, "it's fixed, and total charge is $25.00".

He sounded a little indignant about the price, so I told him the cost of parts, and I only charged $5.00 for my time. Granted it only took about five minutes start to finish, but I thought that was VERY "fair".

Well, he took his sweet time coming to pick it up, (about a month) and THAT really frosted my butt!!

I told him, "I was going to charge you an extra dollar/day for storage, but I'll give you a break on that, THIS TIME".
I haven't heard from that !@#$% again, and as far as I care, I hope I never do!!

I'm done with the 'puter repair business!